Bailey Rice signs new contract

Broxi

3 minutes ago, The Specky Non Liar - Sometimes said:

He's probably too young to be starting every week but he won't be involved in the sort of 'madness' your average 16-19 year old will be. If he is he won't make it to the level he should.

He'll be guided 100% but a few of our own got caught out in one of the most unnecessary lockdowns in history as ridiculous as it was. 

A 16 year old should never be near a rangers starting 11. 

7 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Derek Johnstone scored the winner in the LC final as a 16-year-old out-jumping the player who said it was "an open secret."

There aren't many for the obvious reason - age, but we need someone who stands on the ball ala Steve Davies of old. Our midfield treated the ball like a hot potato against PSV and celtic.

Rice is composed on the ball and like DJ, Rice is physically ready for a 16-year-old. 

He's probably not experienced enough yet, but playing for a B-team squad that doesn't even play in a competitive league is NOT the answer either.

Right. So we have to go back 50 years to find one player! We absolutely need better in the midfield. We should have spent at least 5 million to replace Davis/Kamara ball playing cm instead of signing both Danilo and Dessers.

Rice almost certainly isn’t good enough at 16 to be playing for us. But I’m sure he will be in 3-4 years.

In the meantime instead of throwing him in where he will most likely be out his depth. Maybe sending him on loan to another spl club could be a route. 

1 minute ago, Finny said:

He'll be guided 100% but a few of our own got caught out in one of the most unnecessary lockdowns in history as ridiculous as it was. 

So did guys like Kyle Walker, Granit Xhaka and Jack Grealish. All guys playing at the very top level.

2 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Right. So we have to go back 50 years to find one player! We absolutely need better in the midfield. We should have spent at least 5 million to replace Davis/Kamara ball playing cm instead of signing both Danilo and Dessers.

Rice almost certainly isn’t good enough at 16 to be playing for us. But I’m sure he will be in 3-4 years.

In the meantime instead of throwing him in where he will most likely be out his depth. Maybe sending him on loan to another spl club could be a route. 

We have signed Raskin, Cantwell, Cifuentes & Dowell to replace Davis, Arfield & Kamara. 

3 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

We have signed Raskin, Cantwell, Cifuentes & Dowell to replace Davis, Arfield & Kamara. 

Without derailing the thread I was agreeing with your part “ we need someone who stands on the ball ala Steve Davies of old. Our midfield treated the ball like a hot potato against PSV and celtic.”

Cantwell, Cifuentes and Dowell aren’t ball playing centre mids imo. (Cantwell is great but he’s better further forward and not starting attacks)

The balance in the midfield has been totally off for me and we’re solely lacking someone good in possession in the midfield as you rightly said we got done against PSV and celtic in the midfield. 

57 minutes ago, B1872 said:

After watching Jack running in treacle last Sunday and struggling to pass a ball 10 yards then I don’t see why we shouldn’t be giving the boy more game time.

Jack wouldn’t get a game in most of the other teams in our league

20 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Without derailing the thread I was agreeing with your part “ we need someone who stands on the ball ala Steve Davies of old. Our midfield treated the ball like a hot potato against PSV and celtic.”

Cantwell, Cifuentes and Dowell aren’t ball playing centre mids imo. (Cantwell is great but he’s better further forward and not starting attacks)

The balance in the midfield has been totally off for me and we’re solely lacking someone good in possession in the midfield as you rightly said we got done against PSV and celtic in the midfield. 

Still seething at the circumstances that led to Gilmour leaving. Would of been that sort of player, but levels above Davis. Nothing against Davis, he's been class over the years. 

4 hours ago, OrangeRab said:

I’d love to hear all the examples of 16 year olds who have held down regular positions for either old firm. Agreed lowland league isn’t the answer. Maybe send them on loan to other spl clubs

I wasn't disagreeing with your reply to Shaka's post.  I don't think Rice is quite ready for first team starting position but these boys have to play top tier elite football much more than they do.  That's how they'll make the step to being the regular starter much more quickly.  Wasn't talking just about Rangers or celtic either for young players making it but recently both have had plenty of good players come through the ranks and hold down first team places or get a move to a bigger club by age 20 having not gone on loan to SPL dross or lower league Scotland.  SPL and even European loans also can be a hit or miss - for example Middleton - looked great for us at times, won 2 cups 1st season on loan and now in a team relegated to the 2nd tier and not progressing at all.

If it came to training with our players in elite facilities and getting less game time vs playing 90 mins week in week out at 16 in a much lower level I'd rather our players had the first option.

Loans out should be 'make or break' time like C McGregor had at 20, went to Notts Co and played a blinder down there then came back and broke into the mhutant team age 21 and very quickly made the leap from reserves/youth/League 1 to SPL/Ch Lg.

3 hours ago, Jack Sparrow said:

I wasn't disagreeing with your reply to Shaka's post.  I don't think Rice is quite ready for first team starting position but these boys have to play top tier elite football much more than they do.  That's how they'll make the step to being the regular starter much more quickly.  Wasn't talking just about Rangers or celtic either for young players making it but recently both have had plenty of good players come through the ranks and hold down first team places or get a move to a bigger club by age 20 having not gone on loan to SPL dross or lower league Scotland.  SPL and even European loans also can be a hit or miss - for example Middleton - looked great for us at times, won 2 cups 1st season on loan and now in a team relegated to the 2nd tier and not progressing at all.

If it came to training with our players in elite facilities and getting less game time vs playing 90 mins week in week out at 16 in a much lower level I'd rather our players had the first option.

Loans out should be 'make or break' time like C McGregor had at 20, went to Notts Co and played a blinder down there then came back and broke into the mhutant team age 21 and very quickly made the leap from reserves/youth/League 1 to SPL/Ch Lg.

And heres the thing though, does mcgregor get that chance because he was good enough or because we were at the arse end of scottish football and the tarriers had no competition so could bleed the likes of him, forrest etc with no fear

Imo if admin doesn't happen and we stay top league, the likes of mcgregor etc are bit part players in that mobs squad, tierney doesn't even make such an impact if we are there and competitive 

11 hours ago, OrangeRab said:

Finally a bit of good news. People need to chill with the first team patter though. He’s 16 ffs

He’s turning 17 in three weeks. 

players that I can remember breaking through at 16. 

Derek Ferguson 

Alfie Conn

John Spencer

Billy McKay

Derek Johnstone

Billy Gilmour

8 hours ago, OrangeRab said:

Sorry, we needed someone to slow us down against them and PSV?

8 hours ago, Finny said:

Yeah, let’s tell every 16 year old that they won’t play in our first team, no matter how good they are. Let’s just sit back and watch the best talent in the country flock to our club 🙄

8 minutes ago, left winger said:

Sorry, we needed someone to slow us down against them and PSV?

When I say good in possession I don’t mean slow us down. I mean the opposite. I mean like prime Kamara being able to take the ball in tight spaces and play on the turn. Instead of Jack who has to take a touch back to his own goal first. 

I mean moving off the ball and creating clever angles with the other CM.

I mean vision and crisp passing.

These are all qualities we haven’t had in even one centre mid. Never mind 2-3 that are capable of playing fast attacking football

28 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

He’s turning 17 in three weeks. 

players that I can remember breaking through at 16. 

Derek Ferguson 

Alfie Conn

John Spencer

Billy McKay

Derek Johnstone

Billy Gilmour

Yeh and the game has moved on since then.

(Gilmour wasn’t playing regular football till he was 19 I think?)

It’s almost unheard of in the modern game to break through at 16/17 in his position. Fullback would be the exception where it’s easier to break through younger. 

All the best cm in Scotland have come through 19-21. Ferguson, Thompson, Davis, McGregor, Brown etc.

McGinn broke through at St Mirren at 19. (So not at the level required for us yet).

I don’t think fans understand how big a step up it is. Going from playing lowland league to battling out in and old firm against McGregor and Hatate.

That doesn’t mean Rice is going to leave or we aren’t giving youth a chance. It just means he’s still a kid and the club will help him develop in the best way. It just won’t be starting for us this season.

16 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

When I say good in possession I don’t mean slow us down. I mean the opposite. I mean like prime Kamara being able to take the ball in tight spaces and play on the turn. Instead of Jack who has to take a touch back to his own goal first. 

I mean moving off the ball and creating clever angles with the other CM.

I mean vision and crisp passing.

These are all qualities we haven’t had in even one centre mid. Never mind 2-3 that are capable of playing fast attacking football

You said 'stands on the ball' tbf. Doesn't really mean 'moving off the ball'.

The Davis of his first spell would certainly improve our current midfield, right enough.

Rangers support: "We never give youths a chance, close the Academy"

Our midfield play shite, we reward a 16 year old midfielder now established in the 1st team squad with several appearances under his belt, with a new contract.

Also

Rangers support: "He's too young, should never be in a Rangers 1st team"

Cannae win.

There’s no reason that Rice shouldn’t be getting minutes now. I don’t think anybody with any rational sense would be saying start him in Old Firms and the Europa League, but when we have ended games as contests i.e being 2-0 up against Ross County and Livingston in the 80th + minute, then there is no reason not to start giving Rice game time here and there and build up his experience and exposure to first team games rather than bringing on Jack (Ross County) or Lundstram (Livingston).

2 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

And heres the thing though, does mcgregor get that chance because he was good enough or because we were at the arse end of scottish football and the tarriers had no competition so could bleed the likes of him, forrest etc with no fear

Imo if admin doesn't happen and we stay top league, the likes of mcgregor etc are bit part players in that mobs squad, tierney doesn't even make such an impact if we are there and competitive 

Forrest was a regular for them pre admin. I’m sure he started against us when they won the Old Firm at New Year during Walters last season.