Dessers

BigBearButt

4 hours ago, ZZed said:

Dessers will score goals due to the amount of chances we make, but he is not very good at football. He does appear to be a bit better in 1 to1s when facing the goal is the only positive I can think of, and he is not very good at that.

He's improving but has not scored a lot of goals and never has. Your argument stands with good finishers like Boyd, who's limited workrate outside the box belayed his superb positioning and the ability to finish with one touch. Dessers' positioning is poor and the ball pings off him more often than not. He's better running onto balls in front of him such as against Betis but against 10 man SPL defences that will not work. Domestically, his strikes have been scrappy deflections. They all count but there has been more than a bit of luck over ability in his finishes. You need someone with good awareness and movement, then the ability to finish without hesitation in our league. As much as a think he's a poor player there is a role for him in Europe as teams set up differently there. I agree that with a higher line there is space in behind for him to exploit - this is also why I don't think we will try to sell him in January. Domestically we need to sign a striker as a priority.  

2 hours ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Right so you can continually criticise Barisic (who you don’t rate) for being shite, despite the positive traits he offers to the team, but other people shouldn’t criticise Dessers (who you seemingly) because despite being shite overall, he has a few positive traits. Seems like a bit of a contradiction to me, but whatever floats your boat. 

Hardly a contradiction. It’s called having a differing opinion. Everyone on here has their favourite players, and those they dislike, you included. Nobody has to agree with it and are entitled to voice theirs. I think that’s the fundamental point of a forum: to express ideas and exchange views on a particular issue.

Did I say anybody shouldn’t criticise Dessers?

I said he’s not utter shite as some state on here and quoted his return so far. Now, that’s clearly me expressing on opinion but for the avoidance of doubt perhaps I should start every post with ‘IMO’.

9 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

He’s not improving btw that is a load of utter bollocks. He scored a good goal against Betis and that’s literally it.

He was brutal on Sunday again 

Yip. He's not a youngster either, he's in his peak years and he's utter dug meat.

His level is brutal 

12 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Wouldn’t say opinion is divided at all. Other than a couple of people on this forum I am yet to meet anyone that thinks he’s anywhere close to good 

A few on here think he’s been decent/got something in him. The vast majority think he’s shit and a lost cause.
If it’s not a unilateral opinion then it’s divided, hence why I said divided opinion. 

‘Differing opinions’ is a more accurate phrase but it didn’t make sense in the context of a joke reply to ‘what’s he good at?’ 😜

25 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

He’s not improving btw that is a load of utter bollocks. He scored a good goal against Betis and that’s literally it.

He was brutal on Sunday again 

He was terrible.

I wasn’t Morelos biggest fan, but nothing sticks up top with Dessers the way it used to with him. Sunday was awful for it. 

5 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

He was terrible.

I wasn’t Morelos biggest fan, but nothing sticks up top with Dessers the way it used to with him. Sunday was awful for it. 

The entire first half we may aswell have had nobody up there. Felt like we had all the possession but were going to do nothing with it 

I'm seeing people talk about him improving but I'm convinced his general play is getting worse :lol:

You'd genuinely be better off sticking the best target man from junior football up top instead.

2 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

He's got 8 goals and 4 assists. Only Tavernier and Sima have more.

There is no arguing with the stats. But 95% of the time he does not control the ball well and does not look comfortable on the ball either. He doesn't seem to be able to take the ball into feet when facing away from goal, for instance. And I'm speaking as one of the least football-savvy guys on here. As others have said, it's his conversion of chances that's the telling stat and he simply does not put enough away for a main striker at a club like this. 

5 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

He's got 8 goals and 4 assists. Only Tavernier and Sima have more.

Correct. 

What are the positives in his game? What are his best traits? What is he good at? Do you see anything that makes you think, yeah he's going to serve us well as our first choice striker for the next 2 or 3 seasons? 

4 minutes ago, KBOO72 said:

Correct. 

What are the positives in his game? What are his best traits? What is he good at? Do you see anything that makes you think, yeah he's going to serve us well as our first choice striker for the next 2 or 3 seasons? 

I just pointed out the positives in his game. He's very limited as a footballer and we need better but he's contributed.