***** The Official Benfica v Rangers Europa League Round of 16 Match Thread *****

16 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Tbf mate you told us that lot would be far better with Vickers now in their side and I’m pretty sure I seen him play on Sunday, so I don’t think anyone should listen to you.

Also, we knocked celtic out of the Scottish cup straight off the back of going to extra time in a game in that European run you keep mentioning now as evidence to your chosen point 

We also won the Scottish cup in extra time, days after the final going to penalties.

Just now, RFC55 said:

Game at ibrox v the fenians ended that 

The 3 0 at their midden following on from 2 draws in 3 games was the beginning of the end. The Europa run had no real influence on the league.

9 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

Would anyone give up the league this season if a place in the final in Dublin was the gain?

Id probably rather win the league with its guaranteed place in the CL and additional £££.

The chance of avoiding Liverpool or Leverkusen in the Europa league is minimal

Just now, chris182 said:

Id probably rather win the league with it guaranteed place in the CL and additional £££

Europa league guarantees qualification 

1 minute ago, chris182 said:

Still have to win it tho. We'd have to beat either Liverpool or Leverkusen to win it too. Far too long a shot IMO

Liverpool might commit to the league the closer it gets. Leverkusen have pretty much wrapped their league up though.

12 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

The 3 0 at their midden following on from 2 draws in 3 games was the beginning of the end. The Europa run had no real influence on the league.

Pish. We were 1 point behind after that game. We also had more luck with injuries (barring Morelos). And probably a fitter squad with more depth. 

18 minutes ago, chris182 said:

Still have to win it tho. We'd have to beat either Liverpool or Leverkusen to win it too. Far too long a shot IMO

We’re not winning the Europa league this season.

The league is an absolute must win with the rebuild required and the cash the filth have in the bank. Delighted if we go through, but equally could do without the strain on an already absolutely crippled squad. 

23 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Pish. We were 1 point behind after that game. We also had more luck with injuries (barring Morelos). And probably a fitter squad with more depth. 

We dropped 7 points in 4 games, 4 of those points from winning positions, twice at Ross County. Win those 2 games and I'm confident we would have gone on to win the league. 

Those 7 points probably had more of an effect on the Motherwell and United games than the Dortmund games did.

5 minutes ago, Soldier blue said:

Not for me, I’d trade the Europa and the Scottish Cup for the league.  CL next season is the prize.

Yep, automatic qualification looks doomed for a few years too so last opportunity to waltz straight in

1 hour ago, Bad Robot said:

Would anyone give up the league this season if a place in the final in Dublin was the gain?

Yes. 

But we’d have to just lock the gates and not come back if we won in Dublin. I think we’d get shut down, Ireland wouldn’t know what had hit it. 

It would be the pinnacle, there’s never be another night that eclipses it.