***** The Official Benfica v Rangers Europa League Round of 16 Match Thread *****

Just now, OrangeRab said:

Aye I’m sure he won’t. Just hope it doesn’t come back to bite us. (I don’t really see it as sacrificing because the chances of this team getting to the final are slim at best).

Don’t know mate, if there’s a god he will want us in Dublin. I don’t believe there is one but this is his time to prove to me he’s there imo

3 hours ago, TheKingObv said:

Agreed.

Some mental takes on. Be as well never trying in Europe again while there's a title race on.

We’ve got a squad with no depth in key areas and decimated by injuries. 

And a title with a huge financial reward swing that can materially alter the outcome of our domestic and European fortunes over the next few years. 

Not a mental take if folk are worried that playing in all these fixtures might impact our league chances.

I’d fancy our chances much more of getting to another European final next year having secured PC a small war chest

3 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

And a title with a huge financial reward swing that can materially alter the outcome of our domestic and European fortunes over the next few years. 

Not a mental take if folk are worried that playing in all these fixtures might impact our league chances.

I’d fancy our chances much more of getting to another European final next year having secured PC a small war chest

There's no drop down from the Champions league to the Europa after this season.

9 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Got no issues with people wanting us to prioritise the league over Europe, thats up to them.

But find it odd when people are saying they couldn't care less about Thursday.

2 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Anybody not caring about this round or wanting us to play a weak team aren’t allowed to enjoy the run when we get through. I don’t make the rules.

Also not allowed to complain about mentality/being winners when they're happy to get pumped out a competition.

2 hours ago, OrangeRab said:

Putting out a weakened team and getting hammered 5-0 will impact our league chances more than an extra game or two.

People always talk about how we should be a big draw for players as they get European football, so how can we possibly then say to give up on it?

18 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

Putting out a weakened team and getting hammered 5-0 will impact our league chances more than an extra game or two.

People always talk about how we should be a big draw for players as they get European football, so how can we possibly then say to give up on it?

Most players would rather play in CL. Winning the league will be the biggest draw + cash we can get for players.

Disagree the first bit. But everyone sees it differently. We had the biggest high knocking Dortmund out but dropped points to Utd and Motherwell.

These players have played a load of matches. Add in a potential 4-6 midweek matches between now and end of season at that level is a lot. Injury, fatigue, flatness etc will hinder us more than losing when it wasn’t our strongest team. We looked flat as fuck with the short rest post Killie.

Anyways looking forward to it and I hope we get through (just in a way that doesn’t impact the league chances).

6 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Most players would rather play in CL. Winning the league will be the biggest draw + cash we can get for players.

Disagree the first bit. But everyone sees it differently. We had the biggest high knocking Dortmund out but dropped points to Utd and Motherwell.

These players have played a load of matches. Add in a potential 4-6 midweek matches between now and end of season at that level is a lot. Injury, fatigue, flatness etc will hinder us more than losing when it wasn’t our strongest team. We looked flat as fuck with the short rest post Killie.

Anyways looking forward to it and I hope we get through (just in a way that doesn’t impact the league chances).

Tbf mate you told us that lot would be far better with Vickers now in their side and I’m pretty sure I seen him play on Sunday, so I don’t think anyone should listen to you.

Also, we knocked celtic out of the Scottish cup straight off the back of going to extra time in a game in that European run you keep mentioning now as evidence to your chosen point 

We will play our strongest team possible and then we will do so again in the SC and once more in the second leg. All trophies matter to the players, coaches, and board. You can't complain that they are catching our trophy count and then want a weakened team in the Europa. 

Just now, bluenoz said:

We will play our strongest team possible and then we will do so again in the SC and once more in the second leg. All trophies matter to the players, coaches, and board. You can't complain that they are catching our trophy count and then want a weakened team in the Europa. 

As usual we are in agreement mate