New European Format from 24/25 onwards.

9 minutes ago, PromDeAnglais said:

The Swiss model. It's already been broke down and scrutinised, it can help bigger clubs who have a shit season.  For example:

"Two of the extra places will go to the clubs with the best coefficient who have missed out on qualifying for the Champions League via domestic competitions but have qualified for the Europa League. It could mean for example Man United finishing sixth in the Premier League this season and getting automatic entry into the Champions League but Tottenham finishing fifth and not qualifying".

It's no doubt a change to combat the rise of the Super League idea and help big clubs stay in the revenue streams regardless of who is challenging them domestically.

Bingo. 

This along with the new way they hand out prize money.

1 hour ago, PromDeAnglais said:

The Swiss model. It's already been broke down and scrutinised, it can help bigger clubs who have a shit season.  For example:

"Two of the extra places will go to the clubs with the best coefficient who have missed out on qualifying for the Champions League via domestic competitions but have qualified for the Europa League. It could mean for example Man United finishing sixth in the Premier League this season and getting automatic entry into the Champions League but Tottenham finishing fifth and not qualifying".

It's no doubt a change to combat the rise of the Super League idea and help big clubs stay in the revenue streams regardless of who is challenging them domestically.

The way I was shown it’s the best 2 countries co-officient who get the extra spots

1 hour ago, dave7867 said:

The way I was shown it’s the best 2 countries co-officient who get the extra spots

Yup. And the two best countries since the CL was created? Basically guaranteeing England and Spain with an extra spot each.

1 hour ago, .Williamson. said:

Basically we will never see a European final again after Dublin this year since we are to win the league every year. We will just keep getting into the CL and dropping out.

Dublins almost written in the stars 

Winning the league might not mean getting automatic CL qualification soon. We're on the edge of losing it due to the failings of every other scottish club in Europe.

1 hour ago, .Williamson. said:

Basically we will never see a European final again after Dublin this year since we are to win the league every year. We will just keep getting into the CL and dropping out.

Dublins almost written in the stars 

We will win the champions league by 2036 

24 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Winning the league might not mean getting automatic CL qualification soon. We're on the edge of losing it due to the failings of every other scottish club in Europe.

Mental how bad they are.

On the verge of losing automatic qualification and we've made a final and got out of the groups more often than not in Europa. 

44 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Don’t need automatic qualification, we’ve no issue giving the qualifying rounds a go. Wee buns to us 

17 hours ago, esquire8 said:

Yup. And the two best countries since the CL was created? Basically guaranteeing England and Spain with an extra spot each.

Aye they wanted to do two wild card spots. Folk complained about sporting merit so they came up with another way to do what they like. Should have been a demand that the extra spots went to actual champions. But here we are with this god awful set up.

21 hours ago, PromDeAnglais said:

A lot of shite then. Another way to keep the rich rich.

Will be a time sooner than later when qualifying directly to the EL will be considered a great success.  That’s the direction European football is heading in and Scottish football is not part of that. 

Our league generates less money than the English women's league I’m sure I read. 

3 minutes ago, kanjo said:

Will be a time sooner than later when qualifying directly to the EL will be considered a great success.  That’s the direction European football is heading in and Scottish football is not part of that. 

Our league generates less money than the English women's league I’m sure I read. 

The new women's super league will be getting a bigger deal than us and looking like taking our Sky spots on Saturday and Sunday lunchtimes. 

Is there no drop down to other competitions at all?

I was assuming that you can still drop down through the middle tier play-off rounds

Winners of the play-offs go through, losers drop down, if you finish in the bottom tier of the table you go straight out?

I actually quite like the format, it keeps the first stage more interesting with everyone indirectly competing with everyone. And you'll get pot 1 vs pot 1 games to give better games earlier.

The whole thing about gifting places to teams who don't qualify is absolutely criminal though and an absolute joke

The way this looks, and the way it ultimately moves going forward, yeah I can see Scottish Football being pushed out of European football.

I also think that goes for the smaller leagues, Holland, Finland, Norway etc.

They might stop the Super League, but they might force the creation of an Atlantic league.

6 minutes ago, Broxi said:

I actually quite like the format, it keeps the first stage more interesting with everyone indirectly competing with everyone. And you'll get pot 1 vs pot 1 games to give better games earlier.

The whole thing about gifting places to teams who don't qualify is absolutely criminal though and an absolute joke

Especially when it's for teams like fucking Spurs or Chelsea ffs

1 hour ago, Negri's lovechild said:

Mental how bad they are.

On the verge of losing automatic qualification and we've made a final and got out of the groups more often than not in Europa. 

Can't remember the last time we didn't make it out the groups in the Europa. Gerrards first attempt? We've been consistently in the last 16 minimum now for 3 seasons. (Intentionally forgetting the UCL season, obviously)

And potentially a country gets 6 spots if get 5 and depending who wins the Europa league.  ie if West Ham wins the Europa and England makes the top 2in the co-officient table.