Is Clement getting an easy ride?

11 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Ex player suggesting the current players can see through him. The poster I quoted implied that was typical of this group of players as they had previously “seen through” other managers 

Well, they have. Tav, Balogun, Davies, Souttar, Yilmaz, Wright and Lawrence have all seem through multiple managers now. 

5 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

So you’ve just entirely dropped the lie that our support only demand better football when we’re doing poorly?

We have always had a lot of people demand more attractive football even when we were successful 

Nope.

Season we won 55, the football got fairly shite for a lot of games when we reached December, don’t recall there being such a demand for better football.

GVB and Clement both came in, went on winning runs and the only big demand for better football started coming when they dropped points.

2 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Well, they have. Tav, Balogun, Davies, Souttar, Yilmaz, Wright and Lawrence have all seem through multiple managers now. 

Mate that’s not the group of players people associate with getting multiple managers sacked, but you know that yourself 

7 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Nope.

Season we won 55, the football got fairly shite for a lot of games when we reached December, don’t recall there being such a demand for better football.

GVB and Clement both came in, went on winning runs and the only big demand for better football started coming when they dropped points.

The 55 season we played decent football a lot of it and teams will have drop offs in form every now and then, but the desire to stop 10IAR probably helped hold back any negativity about how poor the football looked at times. 

Already covered the thoughts around when Clement first came in. It was accepted he had a huge injury list and not a lot to choose from. Gio came in and the football was immediately better than just before when Gerrard left. We outplayed Dortmund in Germany ffs :lol:. We had wins under Gio towards the end of his tenure and it was his style of play getting absolutely slaughtered because he changed it to some negative horse shoe shite.

You obviously don’t remember successful periods before 2012 because there’s always been a demand for better looking football

5 hours ago, Southsider said:

This is where "we have no style" falls down a bit.  We get players into crossing positions a lot, but too many of them are incapable of delivering an accurate cross.  Tav delivers an accurate cross maybe once a game.

Cerny's cross last week was far better than what the majority of our squad is capable of

Fair point mate.

But it’s something we should be able to improve on, if it’s worked on properly.

And I agree with you, so many players (Lawrence springs to mind, particularly) seem to want to do their own thing, take the extra touch, whatever, that frequently sees the gaps closed.

Tav, as you say - problem is he’s well practised at hitting (or over hitting!) poor crosses!!

36 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

The 55 season we played decent football a lot of it and teams will have drop offs in form every now and then, but the desire to stop 10IAR probably helped hold back any negativity about how poor the football looked at times. 

Already covered the thoughts around when Clement first came in. It was accepted he had a huge injury list and not a lot to choose from. Gio came in and the football was immediately better than just before when Gerrard left. We outplayed Dortmund in Germany ffs :lol:. We had wins under Gio towards the end of his tenure and it was his style of play getting absolutely slaughtered because he changed it to some negative horse shoe shite.

You obviously don’t remember successful periods before 2012 because there’s always been a demand for better looking football

Some of it was, some of it really wasn’t.

Played away to Hibs, were absolutely dreadful, won with a late penalty. Beat Dundee United at home, we were even worse, we were better defensively but the football wasn’t great.

There’s a 4Lads blog, a month before Dortmund, and funnily enough a week after we first drop points questioning the tactics, wonder why it wasn’t when he wasn’t on a winning run. There were shouts to get rid of him on here weeks before Dortmund :lol: 

Our best football was the couple of games after Celtic pumped us.

42 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Mate that’s not the group of players people associate with getting multiple managers sacked, but you know that yourself 

I do know that. The 'core' was Tav, Goldson, Borna, Lundstram. 3/4 are gone. 

But the core group of players weren't mentioned until you mentioned them. 

The post you replied to was about an ex-player ,singular, talking shite about how Tav is the glue that holds the team together. We can rip that claim apart quite easiy fir a nunber of reasons.

5 hours ago, Southsider said:

This is where "we have no style" falls down a bit.  We get players into crossing positions a lot, but too many of them are incapable of delivering an accurate cross.  Tav delivers an accurate cross maybe once a game.

Cerny's cross last week was far better than what the majority of our squad is capable of

Relying on crosses into the box as our “style” is a piss poor way to go about trying to win football games.

All these statos and social media tacticians talk about quality chances and whatever else, and getting the ball wide and lumping it on the box isn’t the way to do that, and it’s just about the most basic style of play imaginable.

Some of the best crossers in Britain - Tripper, Trent, Ward-Prowse - are only successful with roughly 3 or 4 out of every 10 crosses (the stats back that up) and Tav’s numbers are similar when it comes to cross completion.

It’s just not a good, or particularly effective way, to create chances and win football games.

6 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Some of it was, some of it really wasn’t.

Played away to Hibs, were absolutely dreadful, won with a late penalty. Beat Dundee United at home, we were even worse, we were better defensively but the football wasn’t great.

There’s a 4Lads blog, a month before Dortmund, and funnily enough a week after we first drop points questioning the tactics, wonder why it wasn’t when he wasn’t on a winning run. There were shouts to get rid of him on here weeks before Dortmund :lol: 

Our best football was the couple of games after Celtic pumped us.

Never forget somebody starting a thread calling for Gerrard to leave and be replaced with Gio after the 2-2 draw with Hibs early in that season.

5 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Never forget somebody starting a thread calling for Gerrard to leave and be replaced with Gio after the 2-2 draw with Hibs early in that season.

I’m meaning the one under GVB, we won 1-0 after being shite there under Gerrard the season before as well. Morelos scored not long after stamping on Porteous :lol: 

Probably @BridgeIsBlue that started it :lol: 

8 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

5 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

I’m meaning the one under GVB.

Probably @BridgeIsBlue that started it :lol: 

2 hours ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Had the fear that was going to be me for a minute :lol:

Lockdown did strange things to everyone. 

4 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Ex player suggesting the current players can see through him. The poster I quoted implied that was typical of this group of players as they had previously “seen through” other managers 

Scott Wright is on his fourth Rangers manager 

3 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Style of play pales into insignificance when the team are winning. Some may not admit that but I’m happy to admit I’m not interested in style if we are winning every or almost every game. The 20/21 season we were a juggernaut for most of it, picking up wins week in week out. We’re miles away from that right now

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

We were boring to watch under Gerrard most of the time as well.

The 0-0 with St Johnstone in 2019 is the worst game of football I’ve ever attended at Ibrox.

I was in hospitality that day and think we've agreed on this before, absolute shambles of a performance. 

If we're talking about style of football then for me there is a successful Rangers style of football that has been pretty consistent through my life time with some variations here or there.

Defensively sound, athletically strong, tactically mobile with some variation on 4-4-2/4-5-1/4-3-3 and different types of individual players that can win games.

With the current make up of the squad and more the starting 11 I don't recall a successful Rangers team playing with two attacking full backs, two wingers and a number 10. It's too open and not very Rangers imo.

7 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Nope.

January and February we weren't great to watch and while we were grinding out the results many on here were unhappy with the football. I mind getting annoyed @Jimfanciesthedude for his negativity at that time

3 minutes ago, MisterC said:

January and February we weren't great to watch and while we were grinding out the results many on here were unhappy with the football. I mind getting annoyed @Jimfanciesthedude for his negativity at that time

From late december till the title was won we were pretty honking, it was reminiscent of previous two seasons where we all of a sudden struggled to break teams down post xmas when pre xmas we were doing it well, just this season we managed to grind out results

35 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

I have to say.. its pretty poor from Jack to go out and talk like that so openly. Keep it to yourself!! If he really was a fan then he wouldnt give our enemies (and our own fans) ammo! Pretty unprofessional in my opinion. 

Not convinced it really gives any one any ammo. Tbf, Jack said he was a great guy, just didn't give a fuck. If that's the truth, I think it's something there's no harm in knowing now.

2 minutes ago, Jimfanciesthedude said:

From late december till the title was won we were pretty honking, it was reminiscent of previous two seasons where we all of a sudden struggled to break teams down post xmas when pre xmas we were doing it well, just this season we managed to grind out results

Yeah you're right it was rotten and then the league was won and we then started scudding teams again. Strange how it goes but the winter period is a slog in weather not conducive to good football and you just have to grind through it. Indeed we kinda did that last season before we ran out of steam