Is Clement getting an easy ride?

Positional play is one of the absolute basics in football coaching - it might not be Clement himself doing it in every single game per say, but his coaches will 100% be working on positional play with players on a game-by-game basis with lots of video analysis now

Players don’t just make these decisions live in-game, there are parameters for everything - a good manager will clearly identify how he wants his player to play, a good player will execute 9 times out of 10. The lower down you go in quality of league, that becomes 5 or 6 times out of 10, for example

A player within a game could, for example, decide he is going to play a few yards deeper for a few minutes if he keeps getting beat, or if he’s successfully finding lots of space he can continue to take advantage of that, but his base positioning will be agreed and players who don’t listen to this don’t tend to last long under some strict managers (Cantwell when Clement made an example of him and subbed him off)

5 minutes ago, left winger said:

I'm saying Clement will tell his players what he wants them to do. That will pretty much include all aspects of their game.

If that player stays in the team, it tells us that the manager is happy with what he's doing, or there is no alternative. 

He likely won't tell tav where to be for different scenarios of what Maeda does. As I said hours previously that's on Tav. Yes he'll tell the to start on front foot, or defensively, or how much to press, tactically how he wants fullbacks to be aggressive/ defensive etc.  But ffs Tav needs to know how to handle Maeda by now, if he's still getting walked round the training pitch with different scenarios then Clement is a daftie for not having addressed it by OF matchday 5.

I also suggested there was no viable alternative to Tav given Sterling's injury and role elsewhere in the team. Far likelier scenario of needs must than Clement being happy with Tav.

5 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

He likely won't tell tav where to be for different scenarios of what Maeda does. As I said hours previously that's on Tav. Yes he'll tell the to start on front foot, or defensively, or how much to press, tactically how he wants fullbacks to be aggressive/ defensive etc.  But ffs Tav needs to know how to handle Maeda by now, if he's still getting walked round the training pitch with different scenarios then Clement is a daftie for not having addressed it by OF matchday 5.

I also suggested there was no viable alternative to Tav given Sterling's injury and role elsewhere in the team. Far likelier scenario of needs must than Clement being happy with Tav.

I absolutely agree! As I have said on the Tav post. Clement seems to love this guy. We have been linked with players in every position this transfer window except for right back. This is meant to be a total rebuild year but, yet you keep a man who seems fine with coming second, as your team captain.

Players coming in will take their lead from the captain. We have heard already that Tav is the cornerstone of the dressing room. It’s one thing keeping him as a player but a whole other when he is the leader of the team when you are trying to change the dressing room culture. 

Tav fucks up on Saturday this is definitely on Clement. Both of them know by now what they are going to face against them. So, they better both be well prepared.

3 hours ago, JockWallace said:

I absolutely agree! As I have said on the Tav post. Clement seems to love this guy. We have been linked with players in every position this transfer window except for right back. This is meant to be a total rebuild year but, yet you keep a man who seems fine with coming second, as your team captain.

Players coming in will take their lead from the captain. We have heard already that Tav is the cornerstone of the dressing room. It’s one thing keeping him as a player but a whole other when he is the leader of the team when you are trying to change the dressing room culture. 

Tav fucks up on Saturday this is definitely on Clement. Both of them know by now what they are going to face against them. So, they better both be well prepared.

Would be more concerned about him fucking up on Sunday 

On 28/08/2024 at 04:45, JockWallace said:

It’s baffling that 6 managers have been scared to drop tav

17 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

You're baffled why 6 managers didn't drop our injury free, always available captain who has had 466 appearances for us with 125 goals and 131 assists from right back? Those numbers suggest it's nothing to do with being scared to drop him.

He's well on the decline now but that's an issue for the present and not over 6 managers. 

Should have been playing Hodson, Flanagan, Polster and Adam Devine. 

Assuming the rumour is accurate. I have a lot of criticism for Matondo but not utilising his pace in this game seems daft to me. Also wonder what it does to his mentality that he starts building momentum and is then back on the bench.

Really do not like full backs playing on the wrong side, it usually unbalances the side. Can only hope it works. 

It's now back to the bad days of hoping the plan works. There was a 2 year spell where we knew what we were doing worked in these games, but they seem a long way off now. 

30 minutes ago, AGM_72 said:

Assuming the rumour is accurate. I have a lot of criticism for Matondo but not utilising his pace in this game seems daft to me. Also wonder what it does to his mentality that he starts building momentum and is then back on the bench.

Really do not like full backs playing on the wrong side, it usually unbalances the side. Can only hope it works. 

It's now back to the bad days of hoping the plan works. There was a 2 year spell where we knew what we were doing worked in these games, but they seem a long way off now. 

As I got older I dropped back into full back. I would play mainly on the right but if I covered the left I'd naturally drift inside.

You know you shouldn't but it's really fucking weird why you do it 🤣

1 minute ago, RM Monitor And Standards Officer said:

As I got older I dropped back into full back. I would play mainly on the right but if I covered the left I'd naturally drift inside.

You know you shouldn't but it's really fucking weird why you do it 🤣

Every touch takes you into the middle of the park because it's natural to go with your stronger foot.

It's funny how it's fine further up the field :lol: but it just strangles the build up further back and it's easier for the opposition to funnel you into a more dangerous area. 

There's a part of me that thinks it could work assuming we invert the full backs but same problem probably still arises. 

16 minutes ago, AGM_72 said:

Every touch takes you into the middle of the park because it's natural to go with your stronger foot.

It's funny how it's fine further up the field :lol: but it just strangles the build up further back and it's easier for the opposition to funnel you into a more dangerous area. 

There's a part of me that thinks it could work assuming we invert the full backs but same problem probably still arises. 

He was so uncomfortable v them that game he played left back there were mistakes by more than one player in all the goals but he made 2 bad ones

Why is he not telling one of his midfielder to just sit in front of the defence and try to block off passing lanes to at least make an attempt to stop them cutting through us at will.

If he isn’t then he’s a useless manager and if he is then his instructions are just flat out being ignored. Either way, it’s a real worry.