Václav Černý

4 hours ago, HG5 said:

More I see, the more I think he’s part of the problem.

I love his energy, adaptability & willingness to get stuck in.

He just hasn’t got a great output in a footballing sense.

Decision making and execution in the final third is as poor as the rest.

It might improve if he had a position to call his own and settle to, but if we see him as a replacement for Tav, he’s well short of pre-decline Tav’s levels.

For me, Sterling has got defensive midfield all over him.

He's got energy, he can read things from a defensive pov and should be the one at the bottom of the diamond giving cover to the defence or dropping into a defensive 3 when required, but we shouldn't be relying on him to be in the attacking 3rd.

The fact we have him in the final 3rd at times leaves us exposed defensively. Rather than trying to reinvent the wheel with him, we should have him doing the basics and utilising that energy in the part of the pitch he knows best. 

17 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

He's got energy, he can read things from a defensive pov and should be the one at the bottom of the diamond giving cover to the defence or dropping into a defensive 3 when required, but we shouldn't be relying on him to be in the attacking 3rd.

The fact we have him in the final 3rd at times leaves us exposed defensively. Rather than trying to reinvent the wheel with him, we should have him doing the basics and utilising that energy in the part of the pitch he knows best. 

Something like this 👍

Not going to fulfil the Tav role, cos he’s not got the techniques or mindset for that final third action, but probably would keep up with Maeda in a four off situation.

Otherwise mobility & energy at the bottom of the diamond might just be the spot for him.

1 minute ago, Negri's lovechild said:

Spot on, absolutely baffling why he ends up in wide right positions where he’s of little to no use & we’re left with a large void centrally.  

8 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

He can’t really do defensive midfield well enough either, assuming you mean what everyone’s calling the ‘6’, as he can’t use the ball anywhere near good enough. No range of passing at all.

He can shield it, carry it and win it back. That’s it.

Like Diomande for him to show his best here it requires a system change and there is next to no chance Clement is going to do that.

5 minutes ago, Amokachi said:

Spot on, absolutely baffling why he ends up in wide right positions where he’s of little to no use & we’re left with a large void centrally.  

For me we seem to do that at both ends of the pitch and it comes down to not utilising the right players in the positions they are best suited to. We left the central defence so exposed at times today, although the individual errors didn't help, and I felt Dessers got very little middle to front support (though again I know that support was meant to come from slightly more inverted wingers).

Huge chunks of the pitch we left spaces in today that they happily gobbled up.

2 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

He can’t really do defensive midfield well enough either, assuming you mean what everyone’s calling the ‘6’, as he can’t use the ball anywhere near good enough. No range of passing at all.

He can shield it, carry it and win it back. That’s it.

Like Diomande for him to show his best here it requires a system change and there is next to no chance Clement is going to do that.

That's literally all I would want him to do tbh. I wouldn't be looking for him to be a play maker in any sense, but more in the 'Paul Lambert' mould of intercepting, winning the ball back and giving the ball to the more creative players. 

Diomande is the one i'd be hoping would have the quality to play that more traditional 6 or 8 role, but he doesn't appear to have it in him thus far.

4 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

For me we seem to do that at both ends of the pitch and it comes down to not utilising the right players in the positions they are best suited to. We left the central defence so exposed at times today, although the individual errors didn't help, and I felt Dessers got very little middle to front support (though again I know that support was meant to come from slightly more inverted wingers).

Huge chunks of the pitch we left spaces in today that they happily gobbled up.

Yes, Dessers was as below par as the rest today, but had very little meaningful support.

3 minutes ago, docspiderman said:

I would love to see Ceny play on the left as a traditional winger; he has the pace and the feet to provide crosses and cut backs whereas on the right he slows the game down trying to manoeuvre inside onto his left tending to get blocked.

That’s not his position, he’s a RW and has been for the vast majority of his career. According to Transfermarkt, he has played close to 200 games at RW and only 49 at LW, so has filled in there when required but he prefers the right side and to come in and be more of a playmaker than an out and out winger

1 minute ago, psb07158 said:

That’s not his position, he’s a RW and has been for the vast majority of his career. According to Transfermarkt, he has played close to 200 games at RW and only 49 at LW, so has filled in there when required but he prefers the right side and to come in and be more of a playmaker than an out and out winger

Fair enough but there was one move where he was on the left and skinned  Johnston easily and got a decent cross in which was more positive than the rest of the game where he was sussed out every time he tried to turn back onto his left foot on the right wing. Just a little change now and again from our predictable inverted winger might just do something.

He'll have some good performances again the shit in this league when we're dominating the ball and he has time and space to create because he's clearly a talented player technically. But he's going to be a man down in the bigger games, old firms and Europe because he's not got the legs to get up and down, the pace to be a threat in behind or on the counter or the physique to be a ball carrier and get us up the park. 

Like a slightly younger Niko Kranjcar. 

18 hours ago, HG5 said:

More I see, the more I think he’s part of the problem.

I love his energy, adaptability & willingness to get stuck in.

He just hasn’t got a great output in a footballing sense.

Decision making and execution in the final third is as poor as the rest.

It might improve if he had a position to call his own and settle to, but if we see him as a replacement for Tav, he’s well short of pre-decline Tav’s levels.

Probably take dog's abuse for this, but Dujon Sterling is nowhere near good enough either. Completely lacking in technical ability, never once seen him create anything, play a great pass, swing in a great cross, nothing. People love him because he's fast and strong, but that's all he is. A poor footballer, and I'm baffled as to how nobody else seems to see it.

Said at the time when signed, if this season is seriously a "rebuild" (its a downsizing, we know it is) then it makes no sense to play a loan player who we have no option for at the end of the deal.

Makes even less sense when he's like a rabbit in the headlights during a big match

Not saying he's a world beater, but if you put him in a team with actual attacking patterns of play you'd see much more from him in a game like yesterday's. 

He's got enough individual quality that you can get by against Ross County at home, but in the tougher games, we don't have enough of a plan beyond "hope individuals do something" and that is easier to defend against nowadays. 

24 minutes ago, Dado'sMulls said:

Probably take dog's abuse for this, but Dujon Sterling is nowhere near good enough either. Completely lacking in technical ability, never once seen him create anything, play a great pass, swing in a great cross, nothing. People love him because he's fast and strong, but that's all he is. A poor footballer, and I'm baffled as to how nobody else seems to see it.

Just how I’m seeing it, too.

He won a good tackle on McGregor after chasing back, stood & admired it, and I think Hatate came and nicked it off him!🙈

Just now, HG5 said:

Just how I’m seeing it, too.

He won a good tackle on McGregor after chasing back, stood & admired it, and I think Hatate came and nicked it off him!🙈

I want to see him at RB, and be told to just defend. He can do that, this sticking him in midfield or expecting him to rampage up the wing is lunacy.

18 minutes ago, AGM_72 said:

Not saying he's a world beater, but if you put him in a team with actual attacking patterns of play you'd see much more from him in a game like yesterday's. 

He's got enough individual quality that you can get by against Ross County at home, but in the tougher games, we don't have enough of a plan beyond "hope individuals do something" and that is easier to defend against nowadays. 

I do wonder what areas of the pitch we have patterns planned because the celtic goal from the throw in was clearly second-nature from the training ground, whereas we look as if we’re making it up on the spot when we go forward

1 hour ago, Essandoh said:

I do wonder what areas of the pitch we have patterns planned because the celtic goal from the throw in was clearly second-nature from the training ground, whereas we look as if we’re making it up on the spot when we go forward

This is also I suspect how we turn good players from other clubs into shite players so consistently.

1 hour ago, blaudrup said:

This is also I suspect how we turn good players from other clubs into shite players so consistently.

It 100% is.

2 hours ago, Essandoh said:

Yep, exactly. I swear they've scored that goal against us so many times. Especially in the last 5 games. 

Our structure got progressively worse as the half went on. If you think about how we've tried to nullify their midfield yesterday, we tended to be man for man when their CB or McGregor approached our half with the ball. Then Kyogo drops deep to receive the ball and we are fucked because he's in acres of space and the CB doesn't want to break the defensive line by following him in. If it isn't that move, it's the ball in behind the full backs with a quick pass to get us turned. If it's not that, it's another one. The end result is the utter mess we were in for the final 5-10 minutes of the half where we were all over the place. 

We on the other hand, whether it's lack of coaching (I think it is) or lack of quality (doesn't help) don't do any of that. This analysis of the United and their game yesterday could easily apply to us:

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1830299633165238353/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1830299633165238353&currentTweetUser=SkySportsPL

18 hours ago, Amokachi said:

Totally Baffling,  Kiev he even got put LW 😂