• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

------------------- Gomes

Johnson - Carvalho - King - Assou-Ekotto

- -Park - Fletcher - Carrick - Benayoun

--------- Heskey - Van Persie

Heurelho Gomes

For me one of the best keepers on the Planet. He was my first choice keeper for Spurs to sign this summer even before we were linked, and he's starting to get a really good relationship going with his defence now. Has conceeded just 2 goals in his last 5 games and has looked very solid, both in terms of shot stopping and in commanding his area.

Glen Johnson

Criminally underated in my book. I liked him at West Ham, he did a great job at Chelsea (first choice RB in a team that came 2nd in the EPL and got to the CL semi-finals), and he's improved even further under 'Arry at Pompy. Certainly one of the best full-backs in the League for me.

Benoit Assou-Ekotto

Benny is slowly (and quietly) turning into one of the best left-backs around. He's solid in a the tackle, very comfortable on the ball, and has a wicked cross on him (easily as good as Bentley's, if not better). He still gets caught out positionally every now and then, but he's still very young, and I think he's going to be class in years to come. Oh, and he's miles ahead of Bale in terms of quality right now.

Ricardo Carvalho

One of the best centre-back's in the World, and in my opinion much better than Terry. He doesn't get half the plaudits he deserves, but he really is a class act.

Ledley King

Same reasoning as Carvalho. While he's widely recognised as a very good centre-back, I don't think people outside of Spurs actually realise just how good this guy is. Injuries have held him back, but when he's fully fit, Ledley is 2nd to none. Thierry Henry reckons he's the best he's played against, and when you've seen him as much as I have, you'll understand why.

ParkJi-Sung

One of the many cogs that makes United tick, but goes largely unoticed. Did the same job at PSV, where along with other underrated players like Heurelho Gomes and Lee Young-Pyo, took PSV to within seconds of the CL final. Very good player to have in your team.

Darren Fletcher

Always thought he got unfair stick from the Scot fans, but to be fair I watch very few Scotland Internationals, and so can't really comment on how he does in the blue jersey. At United however, I've seen him a lot and can definitely say I think he's a far better player than he gets credit for. Fergie seems to agree with me.

Michael Carrick

Yet another of these cogs, and one I've been lucky enough to see on numerous occasions at WHL, both in white and in red. When Jol took over, he removed Pedro from the side (who was doing a very decent job at the time) in order to base his team around Michael Carrick. Carrick had played a total of 1 game for Spurs at this point (Santini wanted Jan Koller, Arnesen used the money to sign Carrick, Santini got his own back by never playing Carrick), and out of nowhere he was the key part of our team. He grew as a player over the next 12 months, and in his 2nd season at Spurs, he was just plain and simply class. His performances that season got him his move to United, and he's been just as important for United and he was for Spurs. We've never replaced him sadly.

Yossi Benayoun

Hardly a World beater I know, but I've always thought he was quite an underrated player. Seems a bit of a mix between Steed Malbranque and Luka Modric to me. I like him anyway.

Emile Heskey

One of the most important parts of the England team, and yet most can't seem to see it. He's never been prolific, but people seem to forget that his strike partners always have been (Claridge, Cottee, Owen, Forssell, Zaki). He just lets the midfield and his strike partner play, and I think players like that are utterly invaluable. A real team player.

Robin van Persie

Pains me to say it, but I've long thought he was one of the best in the World. People know he's good, but I'm not sure they realise just how talented this boy is. I really, really don't like him, but in the same way I do with C.Ronaldo, you've just got to sit back and admire the boy's work sometimes. Class act.

• 10 months later...

Been done a million times befor but meh there's an overrated one floating about.

For me the most under rated player in Europe at the moment is Gerard Pique.

Everybody talks about Terry, Vidic, Ferdinand and Puyol when they discuss the best but they never ever talk about Pique in the same category.

If anybody doubts his talent then watch The Champions League final.

SAF deployed Ronaldo (supposidly the best player in the world) centrally because he believed that Pique was quite slow on the turna dn Ronaldo could hurt him.

Ronaldo was marked out the game within 10 minutes and Pique cruised the res of it with a makeshift centre back beside him.

Andres Guardado is really underrated to me, admittedly I haven't seen much of him at Deportivo, but he's been nothing short of amazing when he plays for Mexico, an absolute nightmare to defend on the left wing.

I also think Tim Cahill is incredibly underrated

Guest SandyWaTp
Benn done a million times befor but meh there's an over rated one floating about.

For me the most under rated player in Europe at the moment is Gerard Pique.

Everybody talks about Terry, Vidic, Ferdinand and Puyol when they discuss the best but they never ever talk about Pique in the same category.

If anybody doubts his talent then watch The Champions League final.

SAF deployed Ronaldo (supposidly the best player in the world) centrally because he believed that Pique was quite slow on the turna dn Ronaldo could hurt him.

Ronaldo was marked out the gaem within 10 minutes as Pique cruised the game with a makeshift centre back beside him.

Pique definitely (tu) Not only is he a great defender but he is a football-playing defender.

Nigel de Jong is another one who get's something of a raw deal IMO.

He gets through an absolute shedload of running, plugging gaps and breaking opposition attacks before they even get started, while at the same time starting wave after wave of attack with unspectacular, yet effective passing.

If it wasn't for him the Dutch National team, and now Man City, wouldn't be as effective as they are because they wouldn't have that platform that De Jong gives them to go and influence the game.

Nigel de Jong is another one who get's something of a raw deal IMO.

He gets through an absolute shedload of running, plugging gaps and breaking opposition attacks before they even get started, while at the same time starting wave after wave of attack with unspectacular, yet effective passing.

If it wasn't for him the Dutch National team, and now Man City, wouldn't be as effective as they are because they wouldn't have that platform that De Jong gives them to go and influence the game.

de Jong is a player I rate very highly (tu).. Does all the dirty wee jobs in midfield that need done, but no one ever seems to notice..

Andres Iniesta - especially when you hear people talking about the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Fabregas....

Clarence Seedorf, IMO, is a player who has been criminally underrated throughout his career.

A few others being; Shay Given, Juan, Marcus Senna, Diego, Gael Clichy, Mathieu Flamini, Michael Essien....IMO of course :D

Guest SandyWaTp
Andres Iniesta - especially when you hear people talking about the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Fabregas....

Clarence Seedorf, IMO, is a player who has been criminally underrated throughout his career.

A few others being; Shay Given, Juan, Marcus Senna, Diego, Gael Clichy, Mathieu Flamini, Michael Essien....IMO of course :D

Iniesta is better than those 3 IMO. 2nd best player in the world. (tu)

Couldn't disagree more.

I'd rather Lampard or Fabregas in my team.

The likes of Lampard, Fabregas, Xavi, Ronaldo, Messi are all players I hold in higher regard.

Kenwyne Jones of Sunderland. Although not a world beater by any way of thinking, he and Bent seem to have struck up a fantastic partnership this year, of which he is the lesser mentioned half.

Not sure of how highly he is rated, but Di Natale doesn't ever seem to be mentioned when it comes to talking about players. He is a fantastic winger for both club and country. I'm just a sucker for a good technical player.

Guest SandyWaTp

Couldn't disagree more.

The likes of Lampard, Fabregas, Xavi, Ronaldo, Messi are all players I hold in higher regard.

Fair enough, that's your opinion (tu)

Couldn't disagree more.

Fair enough, that's your opinion (tu)

You take disagreement better than most :)

Pique isn't under-rated as such, simply not known on as wide a scale as Ferdinand, Terry and so on.

Darren Fletcher isn't excellent, but his work rate and creativity merit a lot less abuse than he takes.

I don't understand how Iniesta's under-rated, he's an excellent players and I can't imagine that anyone would doubt that.

PSG's Mamadou Sakho isn't as much as under-rated, but he doesn't attain as much attention as I imagine he will. He's an excellent centre-half, walks it in the Ligue 1 and he's still only nineteen or twenty.

Kalou at Chelsea, I disliked and don't know of many people who rate him, but he's came on to a cracking game over the past twelve months.

Lee McCulloch, too. :sherlock: