Smith - I will not let Fleck burn out

LegendofCoop

RANGERS MANAGER Walter Smith last night admitted he must be careful not to overuse John Fleck after the 17-year-old turned in a match-winning performance against Dundee United at Ibrox.

Fleck was brought down for a late penalty and had the confidence to take the kick himself, scoring to give Rangers the lead. Kyle Lafferty added a second to seal a 2-0 win and move them within a point of leaders Celtic, who play at Inverness today.

Rangers supporters are excited at Fleck's breakthrough and the teenager, the nephew of former striker Robert, has started the last three league games. "Our responsibility is to make sure we don't over-play a young player," said Smith. "We also have to look at him though. I think he's shown he has the ability to carry on. There will be ups and downs as there are with every young player. But he's shown enough quality in his three or four games to show he will be a very good player."

Nacho Novo, meanwhile, is almost certainly out of the Old Firm game at Parkhead a fortnight today after suffering a badly sprained ankle near the end of the first half.

The Rangers manager confirmed that he did not expect to do any business before the transfer window closes at 5pm tomorrow, although Bolton were linked with a move for captain Barry Ferguson last night.

United manager Craig Levein, however, is hopeful of making a couple of signings to replace Willo Flood, who signed for Celtic on Friday, and Scott Robertson, who is out injured for the remainder of the season. Levein said: "We might lose a few more in the summer the way they are playing. My job is to find others to fill their jerseys if they do go."

o Rangers can expect to make a healthy profit from their friendly match against AC Milan on Wednesday if the stadium is even half full, while their Italian opponents will be paid just under £270,000 for their appearance.

With Milan contracted to bring their full squad, including David Beckham and Kaka, to Scotland, the Ibrox club are hoping there will be a surge of interest to watch the friendly.

Central defender David Weir will also get the chance to renew an occasional acquaintance with Beckham. "I've played against him (for Scotland and Everton), so it will be interesting to see him at Ibrox," Weir said. "A lot of people take the perception first and foremost that he's got celebrity status, but look at what he's done as a player, and how good he actually is."

Tickets for the match cost £25 for adults and £12 for concessions.

http://www.sundayherald.com/sport/shfootba...to_burn_out.php

Makes me think he's thinking about NOT playing him in the OF game!

If we were talking about the start of the season that might be a valid point, but we are talking about less than half the season. He still has a lot to learn and he can only do that by playing regularly in the first team. He's shown already that he is worth his chance.

IMO John Fleck has more of a chance in starting against Celtic than Kris Boyd.

Boyd was particularly poor today. I hope he isn't becoming complacent and believing that he has won some sort of wee victory by still being at the club. We need him focused and scoring goals if we are to beat the tims to the title.

Part of me thinks hes just keeping his cards close to his chest to keep the tims guessing.

He will play him in the OF game.

Hope so.....dropping him now might dent his confidence more than it would give him a rest!

IMO John Fleck has more of a chance in starting against Celtic than Kris Boyd.

With Nacho out, we're looking at Miller & Lafferty! :anguish:

This might sound crazy but i'd rest Fleck against Forfar, no point putting him in next week.

We have Aaron and Naismith for Forfar.

Aye, very true, and, with no disrespect intended, we should be able to send the reserve team out to do Forfar, no point taking a risk with our major players

fleck will play against celtic, i am convinced of it. He has proven against aberdeen and dundee utd that he has the mental and physical strength to cope with the bigger games. Celtic are weak at right back and fleck is the perfect player to exploit this. I think even walter knows this. I would expect fleck to sit out the forfar game and probably most of the ac milan game and then come back in for the celtic game.