David Weir "We'll learn from final defeat"

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a good interview at all - I know even less than what I did before reading it how's that even possible?

Davie you were a good defender, this is your department - just sort it - get shot of they 2 clowns and spend some cash where it matters and then you will have "learned the lesson" not before 

thanks 

It is a totally class statement.

Where I disagree is every Bear in the country knows where we have to improve.We have known for a long time but still the learn from our mistakes quotes keep on coming.

If at last this means tackling our defence frailties and actually seeking played who can defend corners/ set pieces as well as being a threat in the same circumstances for us then this area is long overdue for improvement.

Tackle this and a mighty season awaits!

“Maybe the game on Saturday highlighted the areas we need to improve on.

“We’ll strive to do that, we’ll continue to look to get better and I think it’s quite clear in regards to where we need to improve, so that can be a positive thing for us moving forward.

“Maybe if we had won it would have disguised a few things that we need to improve on and maybe in the long term that will be a good thing for us.”

Terrible quote in my opinion. Makes it  sound like it took Saturday for him to open his eyes to our woeful defending despite that since the 3-2 loss to Falkirk we've conceded 2 or more in 5 games, with our only clean sheet coming to Dumbarton (and Peterhead in the Petrofac).

We had an age to prepare for this cup final and we did we done in the previous meeting with Hibs.... conceeded 3 fucking shockers.

Agree with the OP. Between the lines Weir says a lot there. 

I read it as he and MW have been clear for some time that there are areas we need to improve, and had we won on Saturday it would only have papered over the cracks. The implication for me is that Weir and MW believe some players have not been learning from mistakes.

Disagree with those saying it only took until Saturday for them to notice. We have to work with the squad we have. We didn't have the squad to make wholesale changes at the back, and losing Ball was a blow also.  That same squad has won us the league comfortably, which was our only aim this season. Players need to right to be coached and improve. If they don't improve they will be replaced. Our starting 11 next season will be very different, and hopefully will address those areas. 

It was not the cup final that showed areas of weakness.  Quite a few games after winning the league showed up weaknesses.

But we done what needed to be done this season. Get back on top. Job done. Now improvements can be made.

Ball being suspended was a big blow as we looked more solid in the semi, Zelalem played well but the dynamic of defending in midfield changes when Ball is out.  Weir is right in saying it would have papered over some cracks, but losing 3-2 at 2-1 up and defending that bad is unacceptable.  

25 minutes ago, Bhudda said:

“Maybe the game on Saturday highlighted the areas we need to improve on.

“We’ll strive to do that, we’ll continue to look to get better and I think it’s quite clear in regards to where we need to improve, so that can be a positive thing for us moving forward.

“Maybe if we had won it would have disguised a few things that we need to improve on and maybe in the long term that will be a good thing for us.”

Terrible quote in my opinion. Makes it  sound like it took Saturday for him to open his eyes to our woeful defending despite that since the 3-2 loss to Falkirk we've conceded 2 or more in 5 games, with our only clean sheet coming to Dumbarton (and Peterhead in the Petrofac).

We had an age to prepare for this cup final and we did we done in the previous meeting with Hibs.... conceeded 3 fucking shockers.

It's been highlighted all season not just last Saturday and not just the defence, this squad is championship league quality, and going by Warburton's signings it looks that it is going to take more than one season to get the necessary quality in. If we are playing catch up to the scum, have the board got the desire to spend big?.

We must put greater emphasis on clean sheets and stop gifting opponents amateurish goals . No amount of expansive attacking football will justify losing games. At Rangers it's simple, you MUST win and nothing else matters. A defenders job is to keep the ball out of the net first and foremost , but at the moment we have too many defenders  who are better going forward and that'll bite us on the arse in the SPHELL . We are absolutely shocking at winning headers in both boxes and that requires to be fixed as a matter of priority. 

24 minutes ago, danger ranger said:

It's been highlighted all season not just last Saturday and not just the defence, this squad is championship league quality, and going by Warburton's signings it looks that it is going to take more than one season to get the necessary quality in. If we are playing catch up to the scum, have the board got the desire to spend big?.

Obviously the board have the desire to see us winning titles every season and buying the best players.  It's more a wuestion of if they gave the pursestrings.  I have ny own opinion on that but i din't want to derail the topic.