Deliver the League Title

Brian Fantana

7 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Come on? Really? When McCoist left we were 9 points behind Hearts in the Scottish Championship, had lost in the Ramsdens Cup final to Raith Rovers the previous season, been knocked out by Alloa in the current season and we were a few weeks away from having five Newcastle reserves forced on us as a means to “improve” the squad. At the moment we are two points off the top of the SPFL, have had a decent run in Europe and we have better players in every position (including a few who could bring in good money for the club).

Progress has been slow and I’ll admit that we really need to win something soon, but to say there has been no real progress since 2014 isn’t right IMO. I know I said this about Caixinha last night but I think some people have genuinely forgotton just how bad things were at the tail end of McCoist’s tenure if they think we haven’t really progressed since then.

Some.of.the shite is laughable on here tbh

1 minute ago, thehost said:

did he cause the goal, last night?

probably initiated it, yes, but he is the primary reason we were in the group stage in the 1st place.

I'm not even going to get into an argument about McGregor being the issue, it is so dumb it doesn't warrant further response. You can wire in though.

14 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

That's the core of any managers job and it's all thats left for Gerrard this season now the fairytales over. 

Fail in that and I've seen enough to know this is another false dawn and the scum will go on winning for years, be as well replacing managers every season as none of them will ever get financial backing to challenge and they just tarnish their own reputation trying with us. Gerrard will be no different. 

Fanta man, you're a fucking roaster.

11 hours ago, BlueMe said:

I couldn't give a fuck if you donate to Erskine tbh.

I wouldn't say you're a realist either. Constantly jumping to conclusions and only seeing the negative in a situation isn't being a realist. 

11 hours ago, BlueMe said:

I'm being a cunt because i don't give a fuck what you do for charity? Do you give a fuck what i do for charity?

Are you saying giving to Erskine makes you less negative towards Rangers? 

10 hours ago, BlueMe said:

You've went from negative, to weird, I'm afraid. It's a slight improvement i suppose, but you should probably make a donation to the salvation army or something and make sure you tell everyone when you've done it.

@BlueMe is absolutely seething.

41 minutes ago, thehost said:

did he cause the goal, last night?

Poor, poor ball out and at the game last night I thought he caused it.

Just watched again and we actually still had enough players in decent positions to prevent it. Mccrorie looked fucked (not surprised tbh), didn't track the runner and didn't have the energy to close him down.

So no, I'd say Mccrorie on reflection was probably more at fault, though McGregor's ball out was shite and started the passage of play.

47 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

probably initiated it, yes, but he is the primary reason we were in the group stage in the 1st place.

I'm not even going to get into an argument about McGregor being the issue, it is so dumb it doesn't warrant further response. You can wire in though.

glad you acknowledge that my first posted point, in a post you referred to as idiotic, has been verified as accurate, by yourself

26 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Come on? Really? When McCoist left we were 9 points behind Hearts in the Scottish Championship, had lost in the Ramsdens Cup final to Raith Rovers the previous season, been knocked out by Alloa in the current season and we were a few weeks away from having five Newcastle reserves forced on us as a means to “improve” the squad. At the moment we are two points off the top of the SPFL, have had a decent run in Europe and we have better players in every position (including a few who could bring in good money for the club).

Progress has been slow and I’ll admit that we really need to win something soon, but to say there has been no real progress since 2014 isn’t right IMO. I know I said this about Caixinha last night but I think some people have genuinely forgotton just how bad things were at the tail end of McCoist’s tenure if they think we haven’t really progressed since then.

Depends where you set the bar tbh. As an older Bear I appreciate the need for patience and realism but I also don't want to feel that the mentality of a winning, successful club is being lost on the new generation.

McCoist was woeful, yes. Improving on his team's performance is not really a benchmark for success when you're talking about Rangers though, is it?

Rather than build and strengthen a solid squad over the last four years (since we got rid of the charlatans and vultures) we have lurched from one abortive punt to another. Warbuton cleared the decks and brought in players that fitted his vision for Rangers; Pedro then did the same, and now Gerrard has done the same. All the time money is being spent on players that are then regarded as substandard. And you look at the current team struggling and failing to overcome an atrocious 10-man Dundee team and you think really? Is this it? Again?

Yes, you can grab statistics to support the fact we have made progress but we need to be careful of wishful thinking. You could equally grab other statistics to show that the gulf with the scum is not much less of gulf than it was when McCoist left. The cricket score defeats to the mhanky mob (and the last one could easily have been 4-0 instead of 1-0) are all during this period of supposed progress. We may seem close to them in the table but it's more because they've dropped unexpected points than we've performed consistently well. In fact, you could argue we looked closer to the scum a couple of years back when Clint Hill gallantly swooped in and nicked a draw.

We all want the same thing, a resurgent Rangers. I'm keeping faith with Gerrard as I did with Warburton and Pedro (probably for far too long tbh). But I've come to the conclusion that we have really been building fuck all. We are swapping one set of average players for another set of average players and its getting us nowhere meaningful in terms of regaining our rightful place. Serious money needs to be invested wisely on key targets of the calibre of Morelos and McGregor if we are to mount a serious challenge. And if the money isn't there (for whatever reason) then we wont be closing the gap anytime soon.

I really hope Gerrard is given the time and financial support to take us forward but if league results remain inconsistent and we lose badly in the OF games then the pressure on him is going to be immense. If he leaves I honestly don't have a fucking clue where we go next.

SG has an albatross round his neck, that of being a former England captain, not many if any have made a success of club management to any degree, something he will have to overcome to bring success to Ibrox, let’s hope he is the first to buck that trend.

Honourable mentions for Sir Alf Ramsey and Jimmy Armfield, both hard as iron.

Just now, kingtom80 said:

we have no chance of winning the title this year,we need about

another five top players,to have any chance,but I think we will

come in second.

O

K

Stupid OP.

Fact is, we played pretty well for the most part last night and we're definitely on the right track.  What's missing at the moment is a creative spark in the middle and settling into a best 11.  That'll come and I'd hope to be there after the next window.  What Gerrard realises is it takes more than being a good player to succeed as a Ranger, you need backbone too.  We're miles ahead of where we were 4 years ago and closer to where we want to be than at any time since 2011.  And people want to throw the baby out with the bath?  Fuckin mental.

7 minutes ago, coopsleftboot said:

Stupid OP.

Fact is, we played pretty well for the most part last night and we're definitely on the right track.  What's missing at the moment is a creative spark in the middle and settling into a best 11.  That'll come and I'd hope to be there after the next window.  What Gerrard realises is it takes more than being a good player to succeed as a Ranger, you need backbone too.  We're miles ahead of where we were 4 years ago and closer to where we want to be than at any time since 2011.  And people want to throw the baby out with the bath?  Fuckin mental.

After 16 league games last season we had 30 points, this was after sacking Caxinha a month before when fans where screaming for him to go.

16 games this season, we have 31 points & apparently Gerrard has done well? Stats clearly say he hasn't

8 million + spent on players, most of whom on current showing we'll struggle to recoup what we spent on them

Out of the Scottish Cup again before the final, against the sheep & we haven't beaten them in 3 attempts

Piss poor results against others in the league, Livingston/Motherwell/Dundee to name a few.

Beat off the taigs, something that was happening before Gerrard came but still deserves a mention.

The only consolation of this season is the European run which we do deserve credit for but overall, we're not miles ahead of where we were last season at all

1 minute ago, Valance1690 said:

After 16 league games last season we had 30 points, this was after sacking Caxinha a month before when fans where screaming for him to go.

16 games this season, we have 31 points & apparently Gerrard has done well? Stats clearly say he hasn't

8 million + spent on players, most of whom on current showing we'll struggle to recoup what we spent on them

Out of the Scottish Cup again before the final, against the sheep & we haven't beaten them in 3 attempts

Piss poor results against others in the league, Livingston/Motherwell/Dundee to name a few.

Beat off the taigs, something that was happening before Gerrard came but still deserves a mention.

The only consolation of this season is the European run which we do deserve credit for but overall, we're not miles ahead of where we were last season at all

Were we going to win every single game 5-0?

5 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Pedantic maybe but I said 4 years ago...

And taking a success out of the analysis so you can support a point is yes, fuckin mental.

"Apart from us being good, we're shite".  :rofl:

10 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Were we going to win every single game 5-0?

Course not & I would never have expected us to

What is expected is domestic progress after the money we've spent, Europe was a free hit & I'm more than happy with how we've done.

Domestically though, it's not just the results but the performances which are worrying. We don't create many chances, we give away silly goals/fouls constantly & we just don't look like a good side apart from a few flashes of quality.

If Gerrard was a foreign manager (or even a lesser known domestic manager) he would have been hounded out the door by now, his name is what's keeping the fans from turning on him

2 hours ago, thehost said:

hes fucking brilliant at shot stopping

hes non existent at cross balls

and a fucking danger at distribution

While I agree with others that he is miles better than other keppers we have had,  you aren't far wrong here.