Forward Line

evenstevens

1 minute ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

are you implying Harry Forrester is no Messi??   100 percent about the players

Sorry. What I was really trying to say is Gerrard really likes the 4-3-3 formation and seems reluctant to change it no matter who the front three are. He believes in it's concept. I'm not convinced he will change it just because Defoe has arrived. Personally, I would alter it depending on home/away or a weaker/tougher opponent.

18 minutes ago, RD.1872 said:

I'd like to see us try either a 4-1-3-2 or a 4-3-1-2...

Would be harsh on some of the wide players i.e. Candeias etc. but I feel that engine room would be too much for most teams and then further up we'd run riot with Morelos running defences ragged and Defoe spearheading.

Second formation let's Kent do his stuff behind the striker as I feel he could flourish in a  free role as per the first Hearts game at Ibrox;

McGregor

Tav Goldson CB LB

Jack

McCrorie Davis Arfield

Morelos Defoe.

Or

McGregor

Tav Goldson CB LB

Jack Davis Arfield 

Kent

Morelos Defoe

4132 👍 this would work no problem.

5 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Sorry. What I was really trying to say is Gerrard really likes the 4-3-3 formation and seems reluctant to change it no matter who the front three are. He believes in it's concept. I'm not convinced he will change it just because Defoe has arrived. Personally, I would alter it depending on home/away or a weaker/tougher opponent.

I think you may be right actually.

6 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I have a feeling once he has the confidence n the players that s what we will see

11 minutes ago, MasterD said:

Candeias will be binned for Defoe IMO.

Kent given a free role to move left or right during the game.

I agree, I think Morelos will play off Defoe and interchange as will Kent. It's the Liverpool way and we seem to be based on that system too. They have inside forwards rather than actual wingers. 

6 hours ago, bluenoz said:

6 midfielders?? If only....

For fuck sake, mate, that system is antiquated :facepalm: Craig Levein played the old 4-6-0 formation in the Euro 2012 qualifier defeat in Prague in October 2010 and got slabbered (both on AND on the park) :rofl:

6 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

For fuck sake, mate, that system is antiquated :facepalm: Craig Levein played the old 4-6-0 formation in the Euro 2012 qualifier defeat in Prague in October 2010 and got slabbered (both on AND on the park) :rofl:

He had selected 12 players in his team Oz ( 6 midfielders ). I think he edited it later. Yes, a 4-6-0 was the worst thing I ever saw !!

1 minute ago, bluenoz said:

He had selected 12 players in his team Oz ( 6 midfielders ). I think he edited it later. Yes, a 4-6-0 was the worst thing I ever saw !!

Yea mate, I noticed he had edited his post, but to be fair, he was just trying to copy Moscow Dynamo who had 12 players on the park when they played us at Ibrox on 28th November 1945. :pipe:

We have good options to switch between 2 and 1 striker formations now. Will depend on the opposition. Can see us going two up top for the games that we usually struggle to break down the opposition. Only one will start in an OF though IMO. 

----------------mcgregor---------------------

Tav-------goldson--worral-------barasic 

------------------------jack------------------------

------arfield---------Davis---------kent--------

------------------morelos---defoe-----------------

---------------------------fod-------------------------

Flannagan---mccauley--katic----haliday

------------------------mccrorie---------------------

----candeias------dorrans-----middleton---

--------------------lafferty----grezda---------------

352 with a midfield of 

Tav Jack Arfield Davis Kent.

Tav and Kent offer width up and down, we have Candeais and Barasic as back up.

Arfield could play forward off the front 2, Dorrans or at a push Kent / Grezda possibly could (still where we're lacking imo).

Jack and Davis hold and cover if needed, if not one pushes forward. Mccrorie, Kamara, Rossiter, Coulibally all options in there.

We've still got Halliday, Murphy, Middleton to add plus Jones.

Plenty options there to allow us to accommodate Morelos and Defoe.

We seem to have a bit of squad depth and quality as well, good stuff SG. I will leave it to him to sort the formation but it is going to be good watching how it pans out. Things beginning to look solid for us in most areas.

I would start against Cowdenbeath:

Shagger

Tav Goldson Katic Barisic

Jack  Davis Arfield

<<<<<<Kent (free role)>>>>>>>

Morelos + Defoe #9

Our bench is fucking class now as well - so many to choose from!

Wes
Worrall
Macauley
Halliday
Grezda
Mcrorie
Coulibally
Lafferty
Rossiter
Middleton
Hardie
Candeias

+ Jones/Kamara

the only formation that would make sense for me with these two is the narrow 4-4-2.

Midfield four of Arfield, Davis, Jack and Kent. Barisic and Tavernier offering the attacking width. Would work in theory at home especially to weaker teams.

Tbh, at Ibrox I'd stick to the formation we have been playing and leave Defoe as cover for Morelos. 

Away from home I'd like to see us going more direct with 2 up top as for some reason we struggle to create at away grounds and Defoe could provide that spark / nick a goal so a 4-4-2 with 2 wingers attacking would be nice. the middle of the park should be fit enough to do the dog work and with Davis we will finally have someone who can ping a ball in behind or slide one through