Gerrard : Post Match Reaction

Virtuoso

Spent much of the game thinking, "what do they do all week?" to end up looking so clueless. Hearing Gerrard say that training was effectively ignored is worrying.

A tiny sliver of consolation in what he says about people looking too comfortable with hiding behind safe, timid, self-preserving football.

I thought everything he said was spot on. He gives certain people chances and they let him down big time, hope to fuck he learns and bins them for rest of season. Some of the performances today were simply embarrassing. 

Im glad he mentioned the crosses, it’s the same every game they just aren’t good enough. The decision making in the final third is also abysmal, at least twice the better option would of been playing the easy pass to a player in space but they took a speculative shot instead. 

This comment always gets me abuse but Tav’s role in the team needs to change, I like him, he gives 100% but he should be told to forget about the attacking aspect and pass the ball onto a real winger who can put in a more dangerous ball into the box also forget about free kicks and penalties. I don’t think he’s captain material either. Definitely 1st choice right back but he doesn’t need to be giving as much tasks in the game that he currently is required to do.

Looked at the training pics during the week with lots of carrying on & hard work.

Players looked to be enjoying it which is usually a positive sign.  

The Managers pre game comments ‘make St Johnstone suffer for 90mins’ set the tone for a ‘ruthless & relentless’ performance.  

Then that. 

Woeful. 

20 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

Could be his downfall . He is not very good at self criticism

To be leader of the pack you never highlight your personal weaknesses or it will be used against you and you will be devoured.

Rhetoric is one thing, but acting on it is another. He has to be ruthless through deed, not word and that equals changes on the park.

He repeatedly puts faith in those who let him down. He has tried evolution and it has failed. Now time for revolution! I'll keep my powder dry on that score seeing it's Sunday and no wish to see the snowflakes suffer any more after their meltdown yesterday, along with their flawed premise on defeat.

The noticeable part was that 'some are too comfortable',obviously some players think they are undropable,that's a poor mindset in the Pro game and leads to lazy,sloppy play on the pitch. Our pace was poor,our movement was poor,over passing and crossing was shocking at times. Back to 2 steps forward,one step back🤮

1 hour ago, Reformation Bear said:

He seemed to me to be raging.   Scathing of the players ("across the board") with the exception of Wes who - he admits - won us a point when we could easily have lost all 3, and (partly) of Kamara.    The rest were openly and publicly charged with - yet again - failing to do enough as Rangers players.   I know he said he claims to have dished out his angry message responsibly and I assume he has.   Whether the players individually or collectively accept this and absorb it and react positively to it is another matter.  

As he admits this is not the first time he's had to make that sort of statement to them this season.   That - to me - means they get the message but are either unable or unwilling to respond sufficiently positively to it by turning in consistently improved performances and results.   He can keep on with that messaging but it seems to me he's hit the proverbial brick wall which - if true - risks leading to a position where the manager and the dressing room part company.    Is it a question of player ability ie they get what they need to do, they respect the manager, they train during the week to give effect to a game plan...…...but when real contact with real opposition arrives they just don't have the ability to carry out game plan orders or have the nous to take the initiative and deliver the sort of on-field leadership that is needed?    If that's the case then its clearout time …… again.   

But wait, they did have that ability and attitude in the OF game so they have shown they can apply themselves.    That means that too many are in a comfort zone where they only play when it suits them to play.   As sort of ManU syndrome under the former ManU manager perhaps.   Which is another way of wondering if SG is losing some of the dressing room.

SG has very high standards and expects the players to aspire to and reach those same standards …….in effect Rangers standards.   They are not doing so.    IMO he must use the rest of the season to sift the wheat from the chaff, identify those he can really rely on and identify better players to bring in for next season - players who will respond to the managerial helm and not players who just refuse to lift their game and follow game plan orders. 

The players are all to obviously not listening to a word SG says, what is he really going to do about it to make them listen.

1 minute ago, backup said:

The players are all to obviously not listening to a word SG says, what is he really going to do about it to make them listen.

A Smith , Wallace or Souness type of character is whats needed for this squad of players , and Gerrard is nowhere near that style of management........

Just now, ritchieshearercaldow said:

If the players weren’t playing to his game plan first half, why didn’t he make sure they did second half. ?

We just saw the same old pish for 90 minutes 

It happens almost every game , you expect them to step it up second half and they never do. Either the manager is not getting through to them or they just dont listen to the guy.........

Try waking up to the fact that outwith McGregor and Morelos, the players are average. They don't have it in them and until such time times money is avaible for quality it remains the same. Performance and results under successive managers have proven that.

Having the second biggest budget is meaningless when your biggest rival has three times yours, it aint happening. We just pay more for our avarage than the other also rans. 

I agree that u need to rest some players but to rest both your main midfielders at the same time I think is a mistake. Surely it would have been a bit more cohesive to have rested  either Jack or Arfield,to at least have kept a bit more consistency in the midfield.

Kamara looked ok in bits but needed a bit more help. Also once again our cross balls were woeful.