Gerrard on transfer targets

backup

Infact combine Arfield, Lafferty, Kent and Ejaria's numbers and you're probably still short of the numbers Windass produced in a supposedly weaker team. 

They had more than enough time between the summer and the January window to identify targets for that position and we still ended up with a rat. 

3 minutes ago, KBOO72 said:

Did we replace his goal and assist contributions to the team? I'm far from his biggest fan, I was delighted when he left but there's no denying he wasn't replaced. If Arfield was supposed to be that man then he's offered far less than Windass did, or if you want to class him as a forward and Lafferty as his replacement the argument is the same. 

He turned up 1 game in 5 and the rest he was an empty shirt. 

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

He turned up 1 game in 5 and the rest he was an empty shirt. 

I'm not disagreeing with that but you didn't answer the question. 

Like him or hate him you cannot deny that his goal and assist numbers last season were decent and as our secondary option to Morelos we did not replace him. 

1 hour ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Also you know this place has went full radio rental when Windass is getting shouted as a loss when he left. 

Is it though? For all the shit he gets we don’t have an attacking midfield player who has come close to matching the returns he provided last season (18 goals and 8 assists) while playing for what was arguably a worse side.

A prediction that something could change in the short term isn't really much of a prediction.   Its a floppy straw sort of statement of hope offered out for the Support to clutch onto for some sort of encouragement for the upcoming transfer season.

The comment about being here because he wants to be and won't be here if he doesn't want to be is maybe a bit more telling.    Reading (heavily) between the lines it comes over to me as a bit of message to the Board and to the Support of...….. 

• I'm here and ok with that and can't be sacked because you can't get anything like a good enough replacement...……..
  • but the minute I don't get enough transfer money to get the 4- 6 players I tell you I need then chances are I'll be gone......because there'd be no point in me being here.  

We haven't won a major trophy since 2010/11.  Trophies are the benchmark, not claims of improvement.   Those who are winners can point to the trophies and the medals.  Those who do not win are confined to talking about what might have been and what might be.   Next season needs to see trophies at Ibrox with or without Gerrard.

Words are easy, everyone knows what we need but nonetheless we have a squad and players more than capable of beating the likes of Aberdeen and Kilmarnock. It’s a worry when a manager can’t get those results when he has a far superior set of players than the opposition.

Huge summer coming up.

1 hour ago, GA1972 said:

Wanted to but didn’t 

He knew it was an issue and instead we got Davis, that’s a serious failing given we had months to identify targets 

We chased Ejaria for being a coward, rightfully so but we didn’t replace him either 

It may be a serious failing now but not many would have argued with it back then. Now hopefully he’s learned a lesson going into the next transfer window! 

7 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Is it though? For all the shit he gets we don’t have an attacking midfield player who has come close to matching the returns he provided last season (18 goals and 8 assists) while playing for what was arguably a worse side.

How's he getting on at Wigan just out of curiosity? 

8 minutes ago, KBOO72 said:

I'm not disagreeing with that but you didn't answer the question. 

Like him or hate him you cannot deny that his goal and assist numbers last season were decent and as our secondary option to Morelos we did not replace him. 

I would say we are a better team for not having him there irrespective of his numbers. 

8 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Yes it is, it’s the same old same old from us. As soon as a player isn’t playing for us he becomes a world beater. 

Yes we need better players and that means a lot lot lot better than Windass. 

Tbh it doesn't really matter what he says as he has repeatedly said 1 thing then done another , mccrorie was a warrior who had earned the jersey to then be dropped completely,  and once players cant take a manager's words as the truth there is gonna be problems , 

8 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

I would say we are a better team for not having him there irrespective of his numbers. 

That may very well be true but yet again you didn't answer the initial question. Did we replace the goal and assist contributions he made to our team? 

And no one is calling him a world beater. 

1 hour ago, bennybongo said:

We need a new manager. Gerrard was yet another huge mistake, and we should not compound it by giving him more to waste. 

What did you expect him to have achieved by this time? Should we get a new manager and half a squad in every season until we win our title back? Who would fund this and what manager would deliver it in a solitary season?

15 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Yes it is, it’s the same old same old from us. As soon as a player isn’t playing for us he becomes a world beater. 

Yes we need better players and that means a lot lot lot better than Windass. 

We got good money for him and he wanted to play upfront, which we couldn’t really offer him so I understand why we sold him. He’s certainly no world beater in my eyes, but we still sold him without really replacing him and he’s a player who could have given us that different option - be it off the bench, or in games away from home -  that we haven’t really had this season.

1 hour ago, backup said:

reads like waffle to me, almost loaf like in scope of lots of if your auntie had balls scenarios, why the last sentence was required is anybody's guess.

Ironically so do your posts on here!

Windlass was our number 10 last season and the guy scored about 18 goals.  I was never a fan of Windass but we should’ve replaced him last summer.  If there is no replacement available then why sell him?

Emerson Hyndman was a number 10.  He did really well with us initially.  I thought he would’ve been a good signing for Hibs but failed by all accounts.  I thought Gauld would’ve done well too but he’s barely kicked a ball with Hibs.

Just now, TMB said:

Emerson Hyndman was a number 10.  He did really well with us initially.  I thought he would’ve been a good signing for Hibs but failed by all accounts.  I thought Gauld would’ve done well too but he’s barely kicked a ball with Hibs.

Announce Haris Vuckic. 

38 minutes ago, ger4life_1872 said:

Tbh it doesn't really matter what he says as he has repeatedly said 1 thing then done another , mccrorie was a warrior who had earned the jersey to then be dropped completely,  and once players cant take a manager's words as the truth there is gonna be problems , 

Agreed. It is a concern for me that the players might, if they haven’t already, completely lose faith in what he says. McCrorie has every right to be raging with Gerrard, he’s completely fucked him over.