John Fleck

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a chat with him in Picadilly Gardens during the day of Uefa final. Was a great lad, humble and  down to earth. People he was with  didn't let him stay there that long as it was rammed and I think they were a bit overwhelmed by the amount of booze on display! 

Whenever I have seen him in interviews since, he has always remained humble and quietly down to earth. 

Has certainly let his talent shine and is more than holding his own in EPL. 

Watched him in the unders for us and he was exceptional. 

Broke into the first team and was very underwhelming but to be fair he was 16/17 and tiny and trying to adapt to it all.

I've not watched a lot of him in recent years to be honest but from what I hear he's turned into a good player now.

It just goes to show that people who always shout about "putting the kids in" ... it's not as simple as that. We don't have the luxury of waiting 6/7 years of playing them every week until they are fully developed and will do the first team a turn. 

1 hour ago, MoodyBlue1872 said:

Had a chat with him in Picadilly Gardens during the day of Uefa final. Was a great lad, humble and  down to earth. People he was with  didn't let him stay there that long as it was rammed and I think they were a bit overwhelmed by the amount of booze on display! 

Whenever I have seen him in interviews since, he has always remained humble and quietly down to earth. 

Has certainly let his talent shine and is more than holding his own in EPL. 

Mind briefly talking to him there on that mental day, came across as a good lad. His mates made the right decision whereas my mates and I didn't. Tbf by the time shit went down we were in no shape to be making any sound decisions! Eventually ended up at the car park outside the stadium like many others.

Wouldn't mind him coming back up the road as long as it's not a retirement home.

Watched him many times for the reserves, watched him  at 16 bully Ian black out of a game. Central midfield and started every move but Walter  unwillingly, in my opinion, gave him first team  starts. Then he was asked to play wide right; no wonder he never progressed with us.

For some reason McCoist never liked him. He eventually left and was replaced with the likes of Ian Black. That speaks volumes. I love McCoist the man but fuck, he was  a terrible manager.

A blind man could see the talent the kid had.

He made the best decision of his career to leave us.

Joined Coventry, where he developed into a first team player.

Moved onto sheff united.. which was the perfect platform for him to shine. He always stands out whenever I've seen them.

24 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

For some reason McCoist never liked him. He eventually left and was replaced with the likes of Ian Black. That speaks volumes. I love McCoist the man but fuck, he was  a terrible manager.

A blind man could see the talent the kid had.

:anguish:

He was used as a squirrel by SDM at the time as part deflection against the travails to come.

Our (McCoist) issue was that we (he) couldn't find his best position, it wasn't a striker and certainly not as a winger, fir me it was just behind Jelavic, where he played once & was outstanding.

5 minutes ago, stewaj3 said:

He made the best decision of his career to leave us.

Joined Coventry, where he developed into a first team player.

Moved onto sheff united.. which was the perfect platform for him to shine. He always stands out whenever I've seen them.

Watched him a good few times this season until it stopped (and last season), a main stay of their team it seems. Very good player. 

He always had talent but even after leaving us he still took time to learn how to apply himself properly and work harder to get to where he is now.

When he first signed for Sheffield Utd he could hardly finish their running drills during pre season because his fitness was nowhere near good enough.

Arsenal have been rumoured to want him , been excellent this season with the blades unlucky not to get a champions League spot or they might still do if things restsrt. 

As for coming back , it would have to be pretty soon to make any impact of significance. 

1 hour ago, DBBTB said:

He always had talent but even after leaving us he still took time to learn how to apply himself properly and work harder to get to where he is now.

When he first signed for Sheffield Utd he could hardly finish their running drills during pre season because his fitness was nowhere near good enough.

But he did apply himself and look what he's done for himself.  A decent career.

If the people round about you aren't up to it, it is easy to end up going down the wrong road if you don't watch out.

3 hours ago, British_Empire said:

Watched him in the unders for us and he was exceptional. 

Broke into the first team and was very underwhelming but to be fair he was 16/17 and tiny and trying to adapt to it all.

I've not watched a lot of him in recent years to be honest but from what I hear he's turned into a good player now.

It just goes to show that people who always shout about "putting the kids in" ... it's not as simple as that. We don't have the luxury of waiting 6/7 years of playing them every week until they are fully developed and will do the first team a turn. 

Scored two beauties v them at Hampden in an under  16? final, I was also unconvinced by him in the first team but as you say he was a kid, even until recently I always thought meh but this season he has taken on much more responsibility and he has been one of the EPLs top players, he just signed a new Sheff Utd contract recently so it wont be any day soon.

Archived