Walter will be our manager next season

boss

There's something fishy about this - in a good way though!

Reports had SDM meeting with Ellis today, yet the news breaks that Walter is staying on?

Anybody else get the feeling Ellis was in town today and Walter likes what he's hearing about the future?

Hopefully this is the start of the good news to come from our club.

(tu)

Did Walter not say he would decide on his future when he heard some good news about the takeover?

I may be wrong.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mixed feelings here, great that he's signing on for this season. Sad that it's such a great footballing man's last year in Football. What a legend, deliver 3iar Walter!

Fantastic news that Walter Smith is staying on for one more year. It is the news every Rangers fan wanted to hear!

Hopefully he is given some funds to strenghten the playing squad.

Exclusive by Lindsay Herron

Walter Smith has revealed the reasons for announcing his impending retirement after the news that he will remain as Rangers manager for one more season and then hand over to Ally McCoist.

Smith has delivered six major trophies and a place at the UEFA Cup Final in the last three seasons and is relishing one more campaign as the boss.

He has confirmed that Rangers will be heading to Australia to play three matches in July and then face Newcastle at Ibrox on August 7 ahead of the new campaign.

And, of course, he will have one last crack at the Champions League after Rangers directly qualified for the group phase.

In an exclusive interview with RangersTV he said: "I'm really pleased. There has been a lot of conjecture over the last few weeks about what might happen to the club but a lot of things are being sorted right now and we are delighted to be settled and getting ready for another season.

"We were delighted with the finish to last season and when that calmed down a bit we all sat down and spoke about the situation and we are all glad that everything has been resolved.

"I feel that in the last two years Alastair and Kenny have been ready to take over to let us older chaps leave.

"We have worked well as a staff and things have been very successful over the last few seasons.

"After a couple of nights out we have decided to keep this unit intact but I can certainly say that it will be my last season.

"So it will be one more year from me and then the younger generation can take over.

"You always have unfinished business and it's the same at any club. It doesn't really matter what you have achieved the previous season because you have to build again and win again and that's what we have to do.

"We have lost a few players over the close season so we hope to bring a few in. We will have a small squad again but we had one last season and coped with it quite well.

"In recent weeks Martin and other members of the staff have had very good discussions with the bank and that's exciting for all of us."

Smith will now go on a well-earned break and the squad will be back in harness on July 5 with a trip to Australia on July 20 when they will face Boca Juniors, Blackburn Rovers and Sydney FC during a 12-day trip.

He said: "Regardless of what was happening we were always planning for pre-season.

"We will start off at Murray Park as usual for two weeks of more intensive training and then we will go to Australia for three games and then we will come back and have a few games including a game with Newcastle at Ibrox.

"We will have quite a long break so I'm sure everyone will look forward to getting started again when we come back in early July."

http://www.rangers.c...2254024_2059359

The bit i have bolded stands out for me and i hope upon hope it means what i think it means21.gif

och fuck it Fuck the Pope

There's something fishy about this - in a good way though!

Reports had SDM meeting with Ellis today, yet the news breaks that Walter is staying on?

Anybody else get the feeling Ellis was in town today and Walter likes what he's hearing about the future?

Hopefully this is the start of the good news to come from our club.

That's exactly what I was coming in to mention. He wasn't wanting to commit until things were resolved. Sounds like they have been and he likes what he hears? Strange that he's retiring in a year though....he's not exactly past it just now is he?

Mixed feelings here, great that he's signing on for this season. Sad that it's such a great footballing man's last year in Football. What a legend, deliver 3iar Walter!

(tu) Perhaps he's just feeling like he wants to settle down. I can't see him wanting to up roots and move on. I also can't see him wanting to manage another club in Scotland. Obvious thing for him is to retire! Sad loss to the game though!

i dont think that i could go to sir walts last game. I dont think id like to cry infron of 50, 203 others lol

I was at his testimonial game.....emotional to say the least! (tu)

I wonder if liewell and his mhanky hordes will be so confident about having wee ginger as their new man now? Hopefully this is just the start of many skid mark moments coming their way..... GIRFU the lot of them.

BTW let's just be happy with our news for now, and wait till next year before worrying about who's going to try step into Walter's shoes. :uk:

Some of the football under WS has not been top class and Kaunas was ptiful, but since then and under the circumstances he has managed magnificently. He has engendered a true club spirit and sparked the team onto success.

A great show by WS.

Some of the football under WS has not been top class and Kaunas was ptiful, but since then and under the circumstances he has managed magnificently. He has engendered a true club spirit and sparked the team onto success.

A great show by WS.

All things considered,I'll gladly have Sir Wattie take the reins for another season and not bother who gets the managers job after him until the time comes.There is a lot of things that could happen between now and then and Wattie is only stating his preference that Coisty takes over after him, no matter if there is a takeover or not.

No Manager is infallable when it comes to buying, selling, tactics etc! but the secret is in limiting the errors and winning more than you lose,so I think the gaffer can retire after next season with his head held high knowing he has done a brilliant job for the team he loves.

Get that sword oot,Lizzie...Sir Walter awaits the Knighthood.:praise:(tu)

I was out last night so this is the first I am hearing the news. My only hope is that Ally improves over this next season, he has too.

It really is brilliant news regarding Walter Smith though. The better keep the blue and red ribbons on the SPL trophy.