Boxing and MMA

2 hours ago, maverick1200 said:

These crop of heavyweights will never be considered in the GOAT discussions. Usyk maybe if he cleans out of the division. 

Absolutely correct.

It's obviously a matter of opinion but for me peak Tyson (Mike not Fury) is the GOAT.

It was clear that Fury didn't take Ngannou seriously, showed up half prepared then realized after a couple of rounds he isn't terrible. 

Joshua, much as I find him quite unlikeable, is always professional in his approach. The Fury fight showed that he would need to take Ngannou seriously and he did. It showed the difference between a professional boxer and a professional fighter. The boxer will nearly always win a pro boxing match. Experience and years of training, mastering the art.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

It was clear that Fury didn't take Ngannou seriously, showed up half prepared then realized after a couple of rounds he isn't terrible. 

Joshua, much as I find him quite unlikeable, is always professional in his approach. The Fury fight showed that he would need to take Ngannou seriously and he did. It showed the difference between a professional boxer and a professional fighter. The boxer will nearly always win a pro boxing match. Experience and years of training, mastering the art.

Fair play to Joshua btw, but he is a complete knob, when he spoke to Ngannou after the fight Ngannou  said " it is what it is " then when AJ was asked questions after the fight about the finish he said, " it is what is " in a weird accent,  fkn thunder cunt of a guy, Hope however he fights next knocks the  racist arsehole clean the fuck out

4 hours ago, The Beast said:

Absolutely correct.

It's obviously a matter of opinion but for me peak Tyson (Mike not Fury) is the GOAT.

Yeah, Lewis would have murdered the current crop of HWs. 

Personally I think Iron Mike is a bit overrated but that's an argument for another day :lol:.

I always find it hard pick a greatest because of recency bias. 

Lennox Lewis was the last great heavy weight the reason we have Fury and Usyk is there are no great fighters in that division.

Lewis just about makes the top ten all time, Ali, Joe Louis and Joe Frazier would be among it but it's down to personal opinions after that.

For me it's Ali, because no other fighter had to beat as many greats to become champion.

Talk of fury as GOAT is embarrassing.

1 hour ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Tyson looks tiny as an older man, makes it all the more remarkable he achieved what he did as a heavyweight in the first place.

Yeah, and now at 57 years old going toe to toe with a 27 year old for a few quid. Can't help thinking this latest show is dangerous for Tyson at his age.Even with Jake Paul's limited skills, he still occasionally knocks people out for a living.

23 hours ago, gmcf said:

I like AJ as a boxer until he starts talking . 

Kinda same until I watched the recent Loius Theroux time spent with him. After Usyk 2 I thought he was completely gone but not now. Said the same on this thread to mild criticism at his last fight. 

A 5-6-7 years back boxing forum I was a member of - did a hypothetical 20 person league of the great heavyweights, where they all fought each other once. They had accumulated a panel of a handful of knowledgeable members, writers, trainers, etc - and assessed each fight on the h2h merits.

Obviously it's all an opinion, but I did find it quite a fascinating read, and going hypothetical head to head - the league table didn't end up in the order you'd expect.

Anyway, Lennox Lewis won the league on account of skill and size he was a head to head nightmare for most of the old greats. Vitali Klitschko also did really well, finishing something like 5th or 6th - again a h2h nightmare for many of the old greats.

15 hours ago, Badger said:

A 5-6-7 years back boxing forum I was a member of - did a hypothetical 20 person league of the great heavyweights, where they all fought each other once. They had accumulated a panel of a handful of knowledgeable members, writers, trainers, etc - and assessed each fight on the h2h merits.

Obviously it's all an opinion, but I did find it quite a fascinating read, and going hypothetical head to head - the league table didn't end up in the order you'd expect.

Anyway, Lennox Lewis won the league on account of skill and size he was a head to head nightmare for most of the old greats. Vitali Klitschko also did really well, finishing something like 5th or 6th - again a h2h nightmare for many of the old greats.

Where did Ali place in it?

8 hours ago, BookWorm said:

Where did Ali place in it?

He was either 3rd or 4th. Tyson was 2nd. Holmes was right up there. Holyfield didn't do as well as I'd rate him. 

Wish I could find it again, although that particular forum doesn't exist any more.

It was only over the past 50 years. It may have been '65-'15

As said it's all an opinion, but I found it fascinating as it ranked the fighter putting them head to head and seeing how they came out in a league. It gave interesting results. 

6 hours ago, Badger said:

He was either 3rd or 4th. Tyson was 2nd. Holmes was right up there. Holyfield didn't do as well as I'd rate him. 

Wish I could find it again, although that particular forum doesn't exist any more.

It was only over the past 50 years. It may have been '65-'15

As said it's all an opinion, but I found it fascinating as it ranked the fighter putting them head to head and seeing how they came out in a league. It gave interesting results. 

Aye that all sounds pretty fair, although I can't help but always have Ali as the GOAT. Maybe more nostalgia than logic at work there though, even though Lennox Lewis at his prime was an absolute stand out and understandable all time great.

Josh Taylor's long-awaited rematch with Jack Catterall in Leeds has been postponed for a second time.

The fight was initially cancelled last year after Taylor sustained a foot injury in training, and the Scot has again suffered a setback in training.

This time the nature of his injury has not been revealed but a new date has already been confirmed.

The non-title bout has been pushed back from 27 April to 25 May and will still take place at First Direct Arena.

2 hours ago, JimmyCR1 said:

Jake Paul v Mike Tyson in what will no doubt be an exhibition sparring session where they both make tens of millions.

This shite needs to stop, it’s had its moment.

Seen a few videos of Tyson in training still looks sharp and dangerous.  I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t put that YouTube fanny to sleep even at 57 🤣

11 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Another decent fight maybe am the only one but I don't really rate Campbell hatton he's way to easy to hit pitched in above his level. 

Me neither.

I remember one of his first, or maybe even his first fight, he was clearly beat, but got the decision due to the name.

Flint landing better shots here.

2 good fights so far.