Goodwillie To Sign For Blackburn Tomorrow

oh well, we missed out on a young promising player who could have been sold for much more than 2mil, but hey, at least we're being financially prudent... oh wait!

i thought thats generally what happens in scotland, players move up the ranks getting higher and higher in value until they sign for the old firm? then we sell them to a more illustrious league's outfit for more money again - as they've proven they have what it takes to be at rangers.

:(, least we have :broadfoot:

I'm getting sick of this pissing about in the transfer window. Shocking low-ball offers. There is a difference between negotiating and £300k bids for a LB like Lee Wallace. It's obvious we have the money, obvious we need a striker and obvious we have been chasing Goodwillie for months, so why not just give them the fair figure they're asking for <cr> I've been impressed with Craig Whyte so far, but there shouldn't really be any reason for missing out on Goodwillie.

If he is gone, I will be very disappointed, but we have to move on and get adding to the squad as soon as possible. I wonder if we're still in for Tevez? Get a move on Mr Whyte! £1mil plus 400k add ons tonight!

I'm not a Laffery hater by any stretch, but really??

Lafferty seems to have 1 good game for every 3 bad ones.

That sort of sums up our squad sadly! :(

Really.

There is only something like eighteen months between them in terms of age yet,

Lafferty is far more experienced at club level

Lafferty has alreday won more in the past three years than Goodwillie will win in his entire career

Lafferty has alreday has 28 more caps than Goodwillie does internationally

Lafferty is already at the club, and much like Goodwillie, last season was his most productive yet.

Lafferty has shown more signs of maturity than Goodwillie has.

Add to the fact that he was forming a formidable partnership with Jelavic at the tail end of last season aswella s the idea that if you put Lafferty into the Dundee Utd team tomorrow he would be their best player by a mile then I truly think we aren't any worse off.

Sometimes some people just cannot see the woods for the trees :pipe:

Dundee United striker David Goodwillie is poised to join Blackburn Rovers for a fee that could reach £2.8m.

The deal looks likely to be concluded within the next 24 hours, with United receiving £2m in cash up front, plus add-ons of £800,000.

Blackburn's initial bid of £1.7m had been rejected earlier on Friday, but the English Premier League club came in with a fresh offer later in the evening.

Rangers and Blackpool had both had bids rejected for the 22-year-old.

It is understood that a sell-on clause, which has been included in the deal with the club managed by fellow Scotsman Steve Kean, could net United substantially more than the £2.8m figure.

Ten clubs had expressed an interest in Goodwillie after a rape charge was dropped this week against the product of United's youth system.

And United chairman Stephen Thompson insisted all along that he would not accept any less than his £2m valuation for the player.

David Goodwillie

Continue reading the main story

Made Dundee United debut in 2005 at the age of 16

Scored first goal for the club shortly before 17th birthday

Finished season 2010/11 with 19 goals

Made Scotland debut against Faroe Islands in March

Ahead of Blackburn's improved offer, United manager Peter Houston stressed: "I've said all along and I'll repeat it - if somebody comes in and offers the money we think is due, he'll be away. As simple as that.

"What they'll be getting is a guy who can score goals in the Premier League for fun, a strong player, a guy who might well soon get international recognition.

"As far as I'm concerned, we're not asking over the top for David Goodwillie - for a guy who scores 20-odd goals a season."

Rangers boss Ally McCoist had revealed on Friday that he remained keen on the player.

However, Houston has previously warned Goodwillie against a move to Glasgow because of the media spotlight there and suggested that the striker himself would prefer a move to English football.

Goodwillie earned his one and only Scotland cap in November against the Faroe Islands and, earlier this week, national coach Craig Levein said he will consider bringing the striker back into the national team set-up now that the rape charge was no longer a factor.

For Levein's Scotland assistant, Houston, the likely confirmation of Goodwillie's transfer will mean he can progress his own plans to strengthen a squad depleted by several summer departures.

Houston has stressed that he needed the cash boost from another exit from Tannadice to fund his own moves in the transfer marker.

"I need to bring some players in, but the only way I'm going to bring players in is if David or any of our players move on," he said.

"At this moment in time, I have to wait. It's status quo for me at the moment."

Goodwillie would have been good but by all means we should be able to get someone better for less than £2.8M.

However, willing to pay £1.5M for Wallace but not £2M for Goodwillie? 3040broadfoot.png

the only thing i can think of, is left sided players are harder to comeby - especially good ones. so that's perhaps why we were desperate to get wallace?

also, another good season for hearts and wallace might have been on the radar for clubs like blackburn next transfer window - and yet again we'd lose out.

£2.8m!?! Are they stupid? Offer £2m up front and he's anyones, hope he rejects them if it's true but sadly I can't see that happening :(

He won't reject them when we haven't had an offer accepted, won't risk it. Even if we did, I still think he'd go to Blackburn, easily

Really.

There is only something like eighteen months between them in terms of age yet,

Lafferty is far more experienced at club level

Lafferty has alreday won more in the past three years than Goodwillie will win in his entire career

Lafferty has alreday has 28 more caps than Goodwillie does internationally

Lafferty is already at the club, and much like Goodwillie, last season was his most productive yet.

Lafferty has shown more signs of maturity than Goodwillie has.

Add to the fact that he was forming a formidable partnership with Jelavic at the tail end of last season aswella s the idea that if you put Lafferty into the Dundee Utd team tomorrow he would be their best player by a mile then I truly think we aren't any worse off.

Sometimes some people just cannot see the woods for the trees :pipe:

I agree with you that Lafferty was excellent at the end of last season.

However, we have seen him do well at the tail end of the season before and come back and be awful.

I would still say that we need another striker in ASAP, Lafferty is injured, and we look really short of numbers up front.

Hopefully we will get someone young with a bit of potential, hate it when we sign 30 something has beens who turn out shit!

I do not believe this. I thought that an English club would come in and offer the £2m, we would match it, and Goodwillie would choose us.

But £2.8m, we should move on, he is certainly not worth close to £3m.

In the EPL transfer market he should be worth about £9m. An absolute steal for Blackburn IMO.

£2.8m!?! Are they stupid? Offer £2m up front and he's anyones, hope he rejects them if it's true but sadly I can't see that happening :(

its actually quite smart what blackburn have done imo.

they know who goodwillie wants to play for - rangers, so by putting in a higher than asked for bid, they have taken us out of the running for him.

there's no chance we can match 2.8m, so goodwillie will know there is no way hes going to rangers now - this is why he'll sign for blackburn.

good work by blackburn, they outsmarted us, will we learn?

the only thing i can think of, is left sided players are harder to comeby - especially good ones. so that's perhaps why we were desperate to get wallace?

also, another good season for hearts and wallace might have been on the radar for clubs like blackburn next transfer window - and yet again we'd lose out.

Wallace is a decent signing for us. Good replacement for Papac. For me, we should have been just as desperate to get Goodwillie. We need another striker. Beattie and Healy won't get 5 games between them this season, I rate Lafferty up front but he has the potential to be horrific.

Utd will phone his agent to tell him then he will contact rangers to try at get goodwillie the best deal surely

Ethics and football do not go hand and hand. Re Gary he was a buddy of mine(gave me his Skol cup final 2-1 against the mhanks jersey) So that is true what I posted.