Jelavic Thread

Brian Laudrup

Evertonian in peace

News coming through our end is that the deal's been agreed with club and player and finalised tomorrow, though there's nothing reliable enough that I would say it's 100% certain.

Appears from reading posts on here that consensus for Rangers fans is Jelavic is a good player but there's an air of inevitability he would be going at some point, but that anything below £8m would not represent his worth...fair reflection?

From what I've seen of Jelavic he seems to have a good finish, decent movement, good in the air and not too slow. What would you say his weaknesses are? If Rangers fans are considering anything under £8m us underselling, your opinion must be fairly high. Reckon he could be the play Everton need to get us in top 6 in Premier League?

If he has half the impact a certain pigeon loving striker had after moving from Rangers to Everton he's going to be a big hit on Merseyside

Welcome to RM.

He's a completely different player to the big pigeon flyer or doo-man as we call them up here... :lol:

Big Dunc was a bit of a nutjob but I'd say Jelavic was a more intelligent player.

I don't think he's capable of leading the line on his own but unfortunately we've had to ask him to do that due to the finances surrounding our club at the moment.

Is he worth £8m? Some will say yes, but, for me, he's not quite the finished article and I would value him closer to £6m.- not a popular opinion round these parts.. :lol:

But he's done well for us, scored goals against the mahanky mhob and won us the league. We were always a stepping stone and I'm sure most of us wish him well - wherever he goes.

Tbh mate he is a very good footballer. But in my opinion you will be getting a player who is nowhere near worth 5 million on this seasons form never mind 8 million. Youtube his goal at Tynecastle against Hearts and you will see what he is capable of.

If his head is right you are getting a cracker, if not he can be pretty average. In saying that i still dont want him to go. But he doesnt want to be here anymore that much is obvious.

Anyword on the fee mate?

You've pretty much described Yakubu there. Quality player and finisher when head's in right place, but a pale imitation of the same player when mind's elsewhere and wants to move on. Likelihood is Moyes will know him inside out from discussions with Walter and McCoist so will know what he's taking on.

Only hearing the same thing about fee from same sources as on here, though the reliable Freddy Boswell (European Agent as reliable as there is) did mention add ons go up to 8m. Guess work though really. Appreciate comments on here that you signed him for 4m so why sell for 3.5m, but in all probability you probably only paid 1.5-2m up front with rest in add-ons. We'd be paying 3.5m up front with add ons up to £5-8m. I would be genuinely gobsmacked if it was up to 8m though

Evertonian in peace

News coming through our end is that the deal's been agreed with club and player and finalised tomorrow, though there's nothing reliable enough that I would say it's 100% certain.

Appears from reading posts on here that consensus for Rangers fans is Jelavic is a good player but there's an air of inevitability he would be going at some point, but that anything below £8m would not represent his worth...fair reflection?

From what I've seen of Jelavic he seems to have a good finish, decent movement, good in the air and not too slow. What would you say his weaknesses are? If Rangers fans are considering anything under £8m us underselling, your opinion must be fairly high. Reckon he could be the play Everton need to get us in top 6 in Premier League?

If he has half the impact a certain pigeon loving striker had after moving from Rangers to Everton he's going to be a big hit on Merseyside

He's shit hot. Now give us £10m :P

You'll get the best out of him as part of a front two. If Moyes thinks he'll be a lone striker he's wasting his time. In all honesty, he's not looked interested for the most part of the last 3 months, so it's hard to tell if he's either lost form or just saving himself. He scores some peaches, but he's not a poacher. Still, play him with Saha or Cahill, and with Drente putting in some great balls you would have a decent front line! (tu)

If we are to play like that, do you's think that if we need a replacement for Jela that the striker should be a Kenny Miller type or a big target man like Jela?

I'm not sure. It be good to have both types to use in different games. But an interested Jelavic would enjoy those 3 supporting Him.

Evertonian in peace

I'll give an honest opinion.

Jelavic, in the whole time he's been at Rangers, would probably be valued at £4Million, in my opinion. However, I don't know if that's been a true reflection of his worth. The reasoning for that is this Season he hasn't been playing aswell as we know he can.

Getting Jelavic wasn't an easy feat for Rangers. Our Club hadn't bought a player for a long time and at many points it looked like we'd miss out on him. You could tell the potential boost getting him would be to the Club and the fans. At the time we thought we'd be more likely to lose one of our best players, than to bring in a player of quality. Jelavic himself threw his dummies out the pram at Rapid to get his move, saying he wanted European football and that Rangers were the best place for him to go.

In the end we got him and you could tell straight away he had the quality, we hadn't seen a player like him since Prso..The movement, the touch, the finishing etc.He played 4 or 5 games and looked the real deal. Then he got injured by a no mark SPL fuck, and we lost him for 2 or 3 months, but when he came back he won us the League. No doubt about it in my mind. However everyone can admit there has been a difference in his play this Season, I'd say it's down to us getting knocked out of Europe, which he was to blame for as anybody else. But it's definitely peeved him. You can tell when he has an attitude problem, though in saying that he has always given us 100%.

He's an attacker who, in my opinion, Rangers have not done justice. Our lack of quality from wide positions have not helped a player who is more than decent in the air. We overload him with too many high balls from the back of the park, with nobody to head it on to.

But I do rate him highly, because of his first Season here. He isn't a 'great finisher' though he misses alot of easy chances, but he does put away the hard ones..His goals against Dunfermilne (overhead kick), Aberdeen (overhead kick) and Hearts (volley from a ball coming over his shoulder) prove that. He's physical but does spent alot of time on his arse trying to win fouls that he shouldn't (and doesn't) get.

Aslong as you utilise Jelavic correctly he'll do well. Don't buy into this 'Aye he's a good player in the SPL, he's shite' opinion he isn't a Kris Boyd..He plays for the Croatian National side.

But, one word of warning, if he does play well..And a bigger Club comes in..He'll want away.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/sitesearch.do?querystring=Jelavic&p=tto&pf=all&bl=on

"Everton have had a £3.5 million bid accepted for Nikica Jelavic, taking advantage of Rangers’ parlous financial position...Merseyside club entering the final hours of the transfer window. Jelavic, who missed Rangers’ 4-0 win over Hibernian on Saturday..."

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/sitesearch.do?querystring=Jelavic&p=tto&pf=all&bl=on

"Everton have had a £3.5 million bid accepted for Nikica Jelavic, taking advantage of Rangers’ parlous financial position...Merseyside club entering the final hours of the transfer window. Jelavic, who missed Rangers’ 4-0 win over Hibernian on Saturday..."

:lol: :lol:

Great journalism.

Fair to say we've struggled big time with strikers in recent years. Yakubu scoring 20 odd in 08/09 was best we've had for long time, but Andy Johnson, Beattie, Saha, McFadden, Anichebe, Beckford just haven't been able to cut the mustard.

Sounds like a Moyes player with the team work but interesting that he's not really one for playing up on his own. Main reason Moyes has come in for criticism is his blind loyalty to one up front. If Jelavic is mobile though, that's likely to bring the best out of Tim Cahill again, who's struggled with having a static Saha or Yakubu up front in recent seasons.

There's been absolutely no mention this end of a player being sent our end as part of a deal. We haven't got the squad to part with anyone, though I'm sure McFadden could go to Rangers if you wanted him, as he's only on short term contract till end of the season and realistically we've got good youth team players who will get a chance ahead of him. Even with McFadden though, only talk of him has been going to Burnley

It may well work out a good match with Everton and Jelavic then, at least in short term. If he is ambitious and think he should be playing on a high stage, he's going to have to prove it now. If he feels he needs to move on from us, that means he's done well enough to prove himself of playing at an even higher level...we'd then cash in and profit. If it is £3.5m up front going up to whatever, the only way all add ons will be paid is if he's done a bloody lot to get us up to achieve those add ons!

Fair to say we've struggled big time with strikers in recent years. Yakubu scoring 20 odd in 08/09 was best we've had for long time, but Andy Johnson, Beattie, Saha, McFadden, Anichebe, Beckford just haven't been able to cut the mustard.

Sounds like a Moyes player with the team work but interesting that he's not really one for playing up on his own. Main reason Moyes has come in for criticism is his blind loyalty to one up front. If Jelavic is mobile though, that's likely to bring the best out of Tim Cahill again, who's struggled with having a static Saha or Yakubu up front in recent seasons.

There's been absolutely no mention this end of a player being sent our end as part of a deal. We haven't got the squad to part with anyone, though I'm sure McFadden could go to Rangers if you wanted him, as he's only on short term contract till end of the season and realistically we've got good youth team players who will get a chance ahead of him. Even with McFadden though, only talk of him has been going to Burnley

It may well work out a good match with Everton and Jelavic then, at least in short term. If he is ambitious and think he should be playing on a high stage, he's going to have to prove it now. If he feels he needs to move on from us, that means he's done well enough to prove himself of playing at an even higher level...we'd then cash in and profit. If it is £3.5m up front going up to whatever, the only way all add ons will be paid is if he's done a bloody lot to get us up to achieve those add ons!

It might be best to avoid talking about Beattie on here mate :lol:(tu)

In the past few games David Healy has held the ball up for our midfield more than Jelavic. That isn't a lie either. He needs a player upfront with him.

Cheers for the feedback on Jelavic everyone, much appreciated. It does sound like an almost identical situation to when we signed Yakubu, whereby there's a quality player who does a job but you're only ever going to get the best out of them if their motivated.

Need to get off now but will log back on tomorrow morning when there's likey to be more news, particulay from the Twitterati

Best of luck for the season

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2093558/Everton-bid-5m-Rangers-striker-Nikica-Jelavic.html?ITO=1490

Everton have shown their hand in the race to sign Nikica Jelavic and have made a £5million offer for the Rangers striker, who wants to move to Goodison Park.

But Rangers, who turned down a £6m bid from West Ham last week, are holding out for more than £7m after an approach from CSKA Moscow.

If the move for the 26-year-old Croat fails, Everton will turn to Blackburn’s Junior Hoilett or Kevin Doyle of Wolves, who are interested in signing Newcastle’s Leon Best on loan.