The unacceptable face of Scotland

D'Artagnan

If the silence would have been disrespected - and probably not much 'if' about that - then maybe it was better to do without it at that fixture. Its too solemn a day to be screwed around with, with booing and chants, but says a lot about the mentality of that support.

Sorry Paul but I wholeheartedly disagree with that.

Should we just acquiesce to yobbish, loutish and bigoted behaviour ?

Should the Ross County fans be deprived the opportunity to show their respect ?

By giving in to their previous and potential disruption we are handing them victory on a plate.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The following is from Ross County Official Site:

Ross County Football Club would like to sincerely apologise for the lack of a minute's silence at their match on Saturday the 9th of November ahead of Remembrance Sunday.

As a Club we are both honoured and humbled by the sacrifice of the men and women who have given of themselves for the benefit of others in times of war and conflict, particularly throughout the past 99 years and even more so as we approach the centenary of the outbreak of the First World War.

The lack of a minute's silence was not an operational or policy decision but an error of omission arising from a failure to address changes in staff responsibilities, and the matter is being dealt with internally.

The Club will continue in its policy of marking the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month with a 2 minute silence as well supporting the Poppy Appeal by allocating Matchday Collections at the Stadium to support their work in assisting veterans and will of course ensure measures are taken to avoid any possible repetition of our error on Saturday the 9th.

They expect us to believe this, what a load of shit.

Dart i think that next year we should send a reminder to all concerned that one and all should participate in rememberence of the people who fought for our freedom

So was thinking that myself as it was too conveniently forgot this time.

We are also our own worst enemies.

We boycott the RC phone in when in fact we should have deluged it last week about the rioting and the IRA singing in Amsterdam.

This boycot means it gets easily swept under the carpet but get the phone ins discussing it then the written press then write about it.

If anyone complained to Uefa over the last few weeks they would have read the section asking if the media were reporting any incident.

This will also be the same this week with probably one or two callers taking about these shamefull clubs but in large the broom will be out.

If the silence would have been disrespected - and probably not much 'if' about that - then maybe it was better to do without it at that fixture. Its too solemn a day to be screwed around with, with booing and chants, but says a lot about the mentality of that support.

Quite simply, FUCK OFF!

When I was in Basic Training at RAF Swinderby, a Regiment Discip ripped into a trainee who "forgot" to do a particular task the night before.

He screamed into his face that in the military:

Forgot means "Didn't want to"

Never has that point been more clearly demonstrated.

Quite simply, FUCK OFF!

Good point Paul. The day itself is more important than any club or any club's fans and it is possible things could get out of hand with some supporters, and interfering with the occasion.

However I think if clubs are going to take it upon themselves to do this, then they should be equally happy explaining the reasons they do not observe the remembrance silence and shame those who prevent the clubs doing this, not hide behind "we forgot" or "its not our policy".

"Teamgers", your post is embarrassing, grow up, and show some respect for the reasons behind this thread.

Sorry Paul but I wholeheartedly disagree with that.

Should we just acquiesce to yobbish, loutish and bigoted behaviour ?

Should the Ross County fans be deprived the opportunity to show their respect ?

By giving in to their previous and potential disruption we are handing them victory on a plate.

I take your point D'Art, and, although we disagree, as always you make your point in an intelligent and reasonably stated way. My Dad was in RN during the war and I can't understand the mentality of disrepecting those who fought for their freedom but if I was a Ross County fan wanting to show respect, a bunch of yahoos singing songs in praise of despicable mudererers would be a massive slap in the face and would totally do away with the solemnity we should all feel. Maybe better the way it was and make sure the media report on the true reason why the silence wasn't held.

I take your point D'Art, and, although we disagree, as always you make your point in an intelligent and reasonably stated way. My Dad was in RN during the war and I can't understand the mentality of disrepecting those who fought for their freedom but if I was a Ross County fan wanting to show respect, a bunch of yahoos singing songs in praise of despicable mudererers would be a massive slap in the face and would totally do away with the solemnity we should all feel. Maybe better the way it was and make sure the media report on the true reason why the silence wasn't held.

Until next year when the same happens again ?

Good point Paul. The day itself is more important than any club or any club's fans and it is possible things could get out of hand with some supporters, and interfering with the occasion.

However I think if clubs are going to take it upon themselves to do this, then they should be equally happy explaining the reasons they do not observe the remembrance silence and shame those who prevent the clubs doing this.

"Teamgers", your post is embarrassing, grow up, and show some respect for the reasons behind this thread.

Get lost actually, if they had booed the silence yesterday it would have put them in the light we all know, " apart from you obviously".....

I for one would rather no minute silence if some would ruin it. Ruining the minute silence is the biggest crime and i would not want any families of serviceman/woman, or serviceman/woman to hear that. I think it is very sad that some want this to happen as a point scoring exercise over them. I think that is just as low. The silence is about remembering the people lost and sacrifices being made. Only that. I do not want to see that ruined.

Get lost actually, if they had booed the silence yesterday it would have put them in the light we all know, " apart from you obviously".....

You are totally missing the point that the rememberance is for all who care about our servicemen and women, not just about showing up a certain element of a fellow Scottish club's support who we already despise for their previous actions regarding these occasions. All I ask is that the clubs who banned the silence stated their reason. And we already know the reasons, so make them announce it officially, then make them justify it.

Great OP as usual. That game was live on BT sports who's profile had been lifted to the next level on Saturday morning when they won the rights to show the CL & Europa games from 2015. So they then broadcast a live Scottish game without a minutes silence to GB, so did BT sport know this was going to happen, or did the commentators tell the TV audience that the clubs didn't want a minutes silence.

Also sportscene tonight their remembrance montage will be short i may have to tune in just to see what is said.

I for one would rather no minute silence if some would ruin it. Ruining the minute silence is the biggest crime and i would not want any families of serviceman/woman, or serviceman/woman to hear that. I think it is very sad that some want this to happen as a point scoring exercise over them. I think that is just as low. The silence is about remembering the people lost and sacrifices being made. Only that. I do not want to see that ruined.

So you are happy to acquiesce and give in to mob behaviour ?

I don't think it is up to individuals to raise awareness of this - the scottish government should publicly voice their concerns - after all, the big argument this week has been would warships be built on the Clyde after a vote to break up the UK.

If the scottish government don't challenge this gross show of disrespect then I think you can safely say that you can kiss goodbye to any MOD work being carried out on Clydeside.

Do you think the UK government would procure orders for ships from a nation whose government did not acknowledge and condemn this outrageously callous behavior?

I don't think it is up to individuals to raise awareness of this - the scottish government should publicly voice their concerns - after all, the big argument this week has been would warships be built on the Clyde after a vote to break up the UK.

If the scottish government don't challenge this gross show of disrespect then I think you can safely say that you can kiss goodbye to any MOD work being carried out on Clydeside.

Do you think the UK government would procure orders for ships from a nation whose government did not acknowledge and condemn this outrageously callous behavior?

Unfortunately shipbuilding in this country is now economically unviable, hence the closure of the Portsmouth yard too.

The MOD buying departments will not give a toss where the work goes as their remit is to save money.

However, I believe you are correct in suggesting this behaviour should be highlighted right in the seat of government, as the Scottish parliament seems inept in these matters contact your representative MP at the Houses of Parliament, and ask them to raise the questions. Get those emails and letters written now to your MP to highlight this discrepancy between the way Scotland acts, compared to the way the rest of Britain and most of the Commonwealth remember these sacrifices our armed forces make.

Next year there will be no chance the tar layers will be playing county. So, county will go back to respectability, and yesterday will be put to bed.

Make them play on the Friday night with no cameras against hivs.. A real love in for green and greys.

Every year is the same, and every year nothing really done about it.

They let a current first team player attend a funeral for a dead IRA leader, and don't discipline him. No, they give him a new contract. God forbid they will take part in a minutes silence.

I wonder how Fraser Forster feels about this.

Christ, Do you think he will play for England and not sing god save the queen?

I have written to Ross County and St Johnstone. Incidentally St J were the ones at the piggery last year and didn't wear poppies. I queried that last year and was assured it wouldn't happen again.

It beggars belief - the 2 teams are inextricably linked to 2 great Scottish Regiments - St J to Black Watch and Ross C to Seaforths - that just makes it all the more shameful!

I will never darken McDiarmid Park again and they will live without my money. Ross County - I will await their reply with interest.

I don't believe in coincidence - 2012 St J and 2013 Ross C were playing - oh yes - you know who!

Unfortunately shipbuilding in this country is now economically unviable, hence the closure of the Portsmouth yard too.

The MOD buying departments will not give a toss where the work goes as their remit is to save money.

However, I believe you are correct in suggesting this behaviour should be highlighted right in the seat of government, as the Scottish parliament seems inept in these matters contact your representative MP at the Houses of Parliament, and ask them to raise the questions. Get those emails and letters written now to your MP to highlight this discrepancy between the way Scotland acts, compared to the way the rest of Britain and most of the Commonwealth remember these sacrifices our armed forces make.

Yesterday - even The Japanese rugby team honoured a minutes silence at Murrayfield - that just about sums it up considering what they were guilty of in WW2 and how they have never apologised for the Burma Railway and all their other atrocities!

Much as it goes against the grain - if people dont agree with it for whatever reason - that is their right.

I think what irks me so much on this one is that those who would have wanted to honour it have been prevented from doing so due to the likely behaviour of a section of the Celtic support.

That's the point D'Art that these idiots seem to be missing! They only have the "right" to do anything because of our brave troops past and present who fought to give us the freedom to have any sort of "rights".

I have never felt ashamed of my Scottish heritage but today I can honestly say I am.

That's the point D'Art that these idiots seem to be missing! They only have the "right" to do anything because of our brave troops past and present who fought to give us the freedom to have any sort of "rights".

I have never felt ashamed of my Scottish heritage but today I can honestly say I am.

Im told there are a considerable no. of Ross County fans expressing their anger over this on facebook jinty - Im a twitter man so cant confirm !

Yesterday - even The Japanese rugby team honoured a minutes silence at Murrayfield - that just about sums it up considering what they were guilty of in WW2 and how they have never apologised for the Burma Railway and all their other atrocities!

And all the Japanese atrocities stayed in the memory of those who witnessed them and were reported and highlighted and stayed in the memory of this nation, forever to be condemned..

That is probably my main point, why are these actions of disrespect during the remembrance period, which we all notice, not reported and highlighted and condemned in the media in Scotland.

And why are we not making those responsible for the disrespect accountable ?

this whole country is fucked I watched the remembrance service in London on tv. countrys from all over the world were there the only people from Scotland were the Scottish branch of the british legion no one from the Scottish government were there that I could see and I also think the sfa should tell every club in Scotland that a minutes silence should be held and if not observed then the club will be fined and any proceeds will go to poppy appeal