DJ urges board not to bow to fan pressure over Ally

Rangers legend Derek Johnstone urges board not to bow to fan pressure over Ally axe calls

RANGERS legend Derek Johnstone today appealed to the Ibrox board to give under-fire manager Ally McCoist the time he needs to complete "The Journey".

Ally McCoist is under even more intense pressure after Wednesday's defeat to Alloa

Gers supporters turned on McCoist on Wednesday night as they crashed out of the Petrofac Training Cup to part-time minnows Alloa.

But club icon DJ said: "I am standing by the manager. I really don't see what changing the manager will achieve at this stage.

"He has taken the team from the depths of the Third Division to the brink of the top flight. He wants to see the job he started through.

"To deny him the chance to do that because of this result against Alloa, as bad as it undoubtedly was, would be wrong in my opinion."

The Light Blues were leading 2-0 in the semi-final tie at the Indodrill Stadium with less than 20 minutes of the match remaining.

But they suffered an astonishing late collapse to opponents who were missing no fewer than nine first team players and lost the match 3-2.

The legendary striker was subjected to vitriolic abuse from many Rangers fans at the final whistle for the second time in three games.

And calls for him to be sacked have intensified on internet forums and radio phone-ins since the humiliating reverse to the Wasps.

The manager's position was discussed by directors at the SPFL Championship club, who have suffered some disappointing results in recent weeks, yesterday.

Rangers have fallen nine points behind leaders Hearts in the second tier table after drawing 1-1 with Alloa at Ibrox and losing 2-0 to the Jambos at Tynecastle.

But the League One champions are still in the League Cup and Scottish Cup and senior Rangers officials are set to give McCoist more time.

Despite that Johnstone feels the pressure on the manager to succeed is now greater than at any stage in his three and half year reign as manager.

He expressed hope that, despite the ongoing financial difficulties at Ibrox, McCoist is given the chance to freshen his squad in the January transfer window.

He said: "Ultimately, it is the players who get managers the sack.

"The players escaped the flak after the result to Alloa.

"The manager is under more pressure now than he has ever been in his time in charge at Rangers. Every time his team takes to field he will be under scrutiny.

"If his side loses a game or drops points in the league he will have the punters on his back. Every game is going to be vital from here on in.

"We don't know if Ally can strengthen next month.

"I think we will find that out in the next month or so. But it would help his position and the team if he could do so."

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He has taken the team from the depths of the Third Division to the brink of the top flight. He wants to see the job he started through.

With resources which were 1000 times more than anyone else in our path. Yet we still couldnt win an away game in 5, drew numerous times home and away

"To deny him the chance to do that because of this result against Alloa, as bad as it undoubtedly was, would be wrong in my opinion

Is it just the result against Alloa ffs where have you been for 3 years? Hibs, Dundee Utd, Hearts, Stranraer draw, Forfar, Annan, Raith, QOTS.

Derek Johnstone eh. Wow. Fucking mug

So we're denying Ally the chance to complete the journey because of the Alloa result !!!!

Which one ? there have been 3 this season, or what about the catalogue of embarrassing results in the last 4 years?

Or what about the punt up the park tactics, For f*** sake Ally just leave and save your pals any more embarrassment defending your sorry arse. Your gonnae have to face the fact your a shit manager one day,put us out of our misery and do it quick

The brink of the top flight? We're barely scraping the play-offs at the moment.

It's the players fault too eh - the same players McCoist brought in and picks every week, can't coach or motivate to save himself? As for strengthening the squad - where's the fucking money for that DJ? Even if we could afford it, the answer to the manager's inept performance is to throw money at him and buy more players despite the fact he's done a shite job with the ones he has so far? Madness.

Here's a thought DJ - McCoist and his fellow uber staunch Rangers men hold their hands up, do the right thing and walk without taking a penny and admit they've taken the team as far as they can, and we get someone in who at least knows how to set a team up.

Scunnered with this 'leave my pal Ally alone' pish.

Unfortunately McCoist just hasn't shown anything IMO that could possibly make me agree with DJ. Therefore you have to conclude this plea has been made in the best interests of McCoist and not Rangers. There really is nothing positive to cling to whatsoever I'm afraid.

It is undoubtedly a gamble for the board, however to me it looks like we are far more likely to fall further behind than close the gap, you just know there is always that lack of composure, professionalism or just plain effort which will rear its head at some point or another.

That is unacceptable, Rangers Football Club and its fan deserves fit, motivated, professional players trying 100% every moment of every game. Being outfought should never be deemed acceptable to a Rangers player. If any of them disagree they should get to fuck.

While I blame the players for much of that the buck always stops with the manager, since he brought them to the club and he continues to play the biggest culprits.

Fucking red neck of a man.

Get to fuck ya roaster and take the dud with you.

Hate these blind morons.

It's exactly why Rangers men shouldn't be in charge, they will do just about anything to slap each others back even if that does mean bare faced lies to the support and putting the club in danger.

Idiots think it's this season results and the fact we are 9 points behind Hearts. My annoyance stems from his first season chucking away our decent points gap ahead of Celtic.

Then they say Ally has done this and that, aye but he's been paid fucking handsomely for it.