Ally: Fans Will Return

JamieG54

McCoist, though, has warned his players not to use the silence from the stands as an excuse.

He said: "It's definitely a different stadium when the crowds are down.

"When I first went to Ibrox there were crowds of less than 10,000 and there is something eerie about it.

"Make no mistake about it, our players would much rather play in it when it is full to capacity.

"But whether it is 1,000 or 50,000, the job is still the same. The focus on getting results can't change and won't change.

"Every team can do more, no matter if it is Rangers or Real Madrid.

"We set out to win games and the best way to do that is to score goals and to play attractive football."

Rangers had 36,000 season-ticket holders last season - but that figure has dropped to 17,000 this term.

But McCoist is confident the stay-away fans can be lured back.

Asked if he was worried the boycotting fans may never return, he said: "I wouldn't necessarily agree with that because when I first came here I was playing in front of crowds that were under 10,000 but within a year it was up to 45,000 or 50,000.

"It might be harder for them to come back but it is certainly not the case that they won't come back.

"We proved before that they can come back and will come back."

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ally was a brilliant player and as a man the stories you hear about him from players and fans he's first class, but as a manager I think he's taken us as far as his ability will allow. No shame in stepping aside and letting someone else take up the mantle and look at the problem with a fresh set of eyes. I hope Ally is always going to remain at the club in some capacity be it an ambassador or such like, just not as manager.

The fans will return but i dont think in any great numbers while we have the current management team and not till more entertaining football is played.They did return as AM points out when he was player.After John Greig was replaced by Jock Wallace but then they fell away again due to the poor football and didnt return till the signing of Souness.