Nicky Law: I Feel Pity For Loyal Axed Players

Not to defend Nicky Law but to defend Rangers: the media have nothing to say this monday, nobody buys their papers, they look for and stoke up stories which will help to sell the chip paper they pulp, this is not a story yet it is MAIN SPORTS PAGE news. Out of context a half witted newspaper man can make most of what is said into a story, it isn't a story.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nicky Law has expressed sympathy for the former Rangers team-mates who found out that their contracts with the club would not be renewed through the media.

Kris Boyd, Ian Black and Ricky Foster have all expressed their dismay at their treatment, and striker Boyd in particular has spoken out against disparaging comments made by Dave King about he and outgoing captain Lee McCulloch, believing the new Rangers chairman to have made the pair scapegoats for the team's failure to win promotion to the Premiership.

Law, who remains a fixture in the Ibrox midfield, stopped short of criticising the hierarchy for their handling of the players following a desperately disappointing Championship campaign, but he admitted that he understood why some of his former colleagues had chosen to speak out after failing to receive any communication from Rangers following the expiry of their contracts.

He said: "Everyone that left the club, I'd like to think they were friends of mine, they're people I'd shared a dressing room with for two years. They're all good guys and they're all good pros. They've came out and spoken and they're free to do so, of course they are, and it's obviously difficult for me to say too much as I'm still at the club.

"You can maybe understand though that they might be upset because that's not usually how you would find out you were leaving a club. So it obviously leaves a bitter taste for those boys, and probably more so for the older boys like Jig [McCulloch], who has given fantastic service to the club, captained the club for three years and of course is Rangers through and through. So I'm sure it would have hurt.

"I don't know the ins and outs of it too well, so it's difficult for me to comment too much, but the boys have come out and said what they have said, and from their point of view they will be disappointed and probably hurt by it."

If the way the release of the aforementioned players was handled can be viewed as beneath the standards once expected of Rangers, Law is sure that new manager Mark Warburton is the man to raise the bar back to where it once was, at least in terms of what is expected of the players on the football side.

"Standards are very high at the minute and I wouldn't imagine they will be dropping," Law said. "I couldn't see this manager allowing that to happen. Hopefully by the end of the season we'll have done the job and we'll have won the league."

After reading it I feel he really shouldn't have said anything! I would imagine if he had been released he would be one of the ones bad mouthing the Club.

On the other hand I'm encouraged by the comments at the end about the hard work and standards being instilled in the players at Auchenhowie.

Complete non story.

The only part of the story worth reading is:

Law is sure that new manager Mark Warburton is the man to raise the bar back to where it once was, at least in terms of what is expected of the players on the football side.

"Standards are very high at the minute and I wouldn't imagine they will be dropping," Law said. "I couldn't see this manager allowing that to happen. Hopefully by the end of the season we'll have done the job and we'll have won the league."

So a player can express their opinion but when supporters do they become the "hate brigade"? Grow up.

More than 50% of the posts use the word 'cunt' to describe a Rangers player ( and some ex-players) - if that's your 'standard' shame on you - I'll stick to supporting while you can wallow in the shite with your fellow haters - just my opinion !

I really hope we can get rid of this cunt the before the season starts. Of all the players still at the club from last year he is the 1 I will have most trouble cheering this season.

There is a player in there. That I am sure, perhaps with some decent coaching we will see a different player. And anyone referring to a Rangers player as a cunt is well............... A cunt, to be honest

There is a player in there. That I am sure, perhaps with some decent coaching we will see a different player. And anyone referring to a Rangers player as a cunt is well............... A cunt, to be honest

When was he ever a player and will never be one fukin invisable man total coward.

More than 50% of the posts use the word 'cunt' to describe a Rangers player ( and some ex-players) - if that's your 'standard' shame on you - I'll stick to supporting while you can wallow in the shite with your fellow haters - just my opinion !

Boohoo they called him a cunt wow, he's a grown man. Grow up.

Get this prick to fuck. Hope we sign Halliday Eustace and another midfielder and get this imposter out. Couldn't pass a ball and rarely if ever goes in for a tackle. Shitebag who should never wear the jersey again. This just proves it. Another passenger sticking up for his wee buddies.

Don't think what he said was out of order in any way tbh, someone clearly asked him and he was impartial as he could've been, stating he felt sorry for the lads who were genuine Rangers fans and that the standards wouldn't drop under the current set up.

Mountain out of a mole hill from the press and again, everyone's jumping on it. Thought we all agreed this was a clean slate for the players? Law, despite being poor and anonymous for large spells, was at times, our only goal scoring threat from midfield. Give the guy a break, he's said and done nothing wrong here.

Edit to add - he needs direction, it's clear he has/had the talent to play a high pressing, possession based game from midfield, we just didn't play it these last few years and we asked him to be a wide man at times, a number 10 or play off the main striker, he's none of those things.

I like Law, think he's got potential, hope Warburton can get the best out of him

It's not a popular opinion, but i actually agree.

He's a luxury player, but he's a decent attacking midfielder and I think he will play far better and work harder under a manager who actually knows what he's doing.

Warburton likes attacking midfielders who can contribute a decent number of goals and nobody can deny that that's the one thing Law is actually good at.

I think the frustration with Law is that there is clearly footballing talent in there. It's his attitude, application, effort and heart that are the issue.

The fact the he doesn't engage his brain before he speaks doesn't help either.

He was being interviewed by the media.. probably his turn. Asked a question about his friends and colleagues to which he was as neutral as he could be. Never directly slated club or never said they should have stayed.