***the Official St Mirren V Rangers Match Thread***

G.E.C.

I think we should try chipping the ball over these teams off-side traps and have someone, maybe 2 or 3 different players, one at a time, running on to catch the ball.

Also, we should hammer in a few more shots at goal and see what the resulting 'spillage' might bring.

Both these tactics could do with a few more players getting into the box than has been the case recently.

Exactly but I'd like to know now that there is a plan B in MW'S back pocket

Do plan A better - that's his plan B.

He's not going to abandon his principles because some shitey no mark, no ambition, hammer throwers are happy to sit deep and take a 0-0.

It's like we used to do under Walter in Europe, it's difficult to beat, but quality normally shines through.

I'm confident teams will 'have a go' more when we're in the top league, and we'll take teams to bits when they give us space.

I would like to see us shoot more though, it's a bit 'Arsenal like' when we try to walk the ball into the net or score the perfect goal.

I'm sure MW touches on the fact that we have now played everyone in the league so he expects more teams to sit in against us, I'm sure he says it's up to him to find a game plan to combat against this, I wouldn't expect a massive change in what we do but maybe a small tweak where and their depending on the opposition.

If we don't improve on our last 3 or 4 games I think we may drop points in our next 2 matches.

Teams are making it more and more difficult for us which is what they set out to do and what they are entitled to do with sticking almost every player back behind the ball and hoping they can get something on the break or a slip up in defence. This is their answer to our new style of play which tells me that we are getting something right.We may well drop points but every team drops points, there have been Rangers teams in the past who have dropped points and there will be in the future its all part of the game.We are only 3 months into a major rebuild on the footballing side and I for one hope that the direction we are on continues to bring the success our great old club deserves.

If we don't improve on our last 3 or 4 games I think we may drop points in our next 2 matches.

Me too. More importantly next season although most premium teams are shite they are a level above what we are playing now. Do plan A better is a necessity but may not get us where we belong on its own

What a lousy start to the weekend. Up at dawn to make sure I don't miss the St Mirren game only to find out it's tomorrow.

Not the only one :lol: I was trying to find things to do to pass the time, until the pre-match show stuff, so I just turned on BT Sports Europe looked over to the side "St Mirren v Rangers Tomorrow Midday" My heart sank :lol:

Yes....we are still playing possession football but not QUICK TEMPO possession football. We are now giving teams too much time to think.

Is there such a thing as "quick tempo possession football"?

Possession football is all about being patient in order to pick the right passes and break teams down.

If we pass the ball too quick then we'll end up giving it away cheaply more often than not.

Is there such a thing as "quick tempo possession football"?

Possession football is all about being patient in order to pick the right passes and break teams down.

If we pass the ball too quick then we'll end up giving it away cheaply more often than not.

yes there is - moving the ball quickly from side to side/front to back is what opens teams up, you can be patient and move the ball fast. You can see it in spells of games when we are making lots of chances

yes there is - moving the ball quickly from side to side/front to back is what opens teams up, you can be patient and move the ball fast. You can see it in spells of games when we are making lots of chances

Yes in spells.

When playing possession football though, the ball has be moved about slowly and carefully the vast majority of the time.

Yes in spells.

When playing possession football though, the ball has be moved about slowly and carefully the vast majority of the time.

why can you not pass quickly and accurately?! surely that is what the team are aiming for

possession football is about retaining possession, not about being slow to use the ball

why can you not pass quickly and accurately?! surely that is what the team are aiming for

possession football is about retaining possession, not about being slow to use the ball

Because the quicker you try and pass, the more likely you are to make a mistake and give the ball away because you have less time to think about it.

Because the quicker you try and pass, the more likely you are to make a mistake and give the ball away because you have less time to think about it.

that's why you go to training every day, work with the same players and work on the same formation, so that you can make those decisions and movements quicker with less mistakes?

we'd be as well handing the opposition the ball and sitting back to hit them on the counter if we aren't trying to move the ball quickly and open up the other team

It's bizzare to suggest that we shouldn't be playing at a quick tempo in case we make mistakes, no point in having possession and making safe passes slowly! pretty sure warburton isn't aiming for 100% possession at the expense of creating any chances whatsoever!

I imagine well score a good few goals over the next couple games since theyre away games where we tend to perform better.

The past few games have been tough but thats because teams are sitting back. Once the league progresses teams will be forced to have a go and well turn them over

I imagine well score a good few goals over the next couple games since theyre away games where we tend to perform better.

The past few games have been tough but thats because teams are sitting back. Once the league progresses teams will be forced to have a go and well turn them over

But...maybe if they have a go there's a chance we could get beaten, I don't trust our defense.

Hopefully your right