Waghorn Not Good Enough

MacBoyd

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waghorn's not a natural goal scorer, he provides no threat in the air, and he lacks a bit of pace. However, his movement off the ball is top class, he's intelligent, works hard, and fits our current system perfectly.

He may not be the long-term solution when it comes to leading the line but time will tell. Let's see what happens next season.

Waghorn is clearly a really good player.

The best thing about this season, even when we're misfiring., is that I'm just positive about us in general. I dont dread playing any teams anymore.

Even playng hibs soon, while we might not be on good form I think players like Wahgorn et al can do some real damage, so bring them on.

He was rotten the day and that penalty miss was stinkin.

There's a difference between missing a penalty and a penalty getting saved.

There is nothing wrong with having a poor day at the office, in the last 5 of 7 games he's scored 5 goals. Overall he's scored 16 goals this season meanwhile Cummings is at 10 and baird is at 12.

We've been relying on Waghorn too much and he does far more work than simply being a striker. There are two weaknesses in the team that I can see - the final ball/slowing the ball up and suceptabiloity to direct balls that miss out the defence. This is the point of stress now - in pedagogy it's known as a threshold - the players are a little confused, bewildered because they are doing the same things they were doing at the start of the season, except it's now not working. What happens next is they make a breakthough in the their learning or they lose confidence and go back the way. Warburton needs to inject a different ingredient and take the stress off one or two so they can relax and learn - Oduwa is one I would put in that bracket. I don't think the team needs wholesale changes but it does need a couple of key ones. Unfortunately I think the type of player we need right now chose not to come here from Hibs. But we need a player that makes that incisive pass between defenders into the box. This is only a setback in a competitive title race but it is vital that the team doesn't lose confidence. We'll be OK so long as we do no worse than draw with Hibs on the 28th.

There's a difference between missing a penalty and a penalty getting saved.

There is nothing wrong with having a poor day at the office, in the last 5 of 7 games he's scored 5 goals. Overall he's scored 16 goals this season meanwhile Cummings is at 10 and baird is at 12.

Missing a penalty and the keeper saving it ..... is still missing.

He as on fire start of season its ike costa at chelsea he just doesnt look hungry

Its a shame it,s Hibs next as he is guaranteed a start needs to be dropped

rather see hardie or walsh get a start up front .

Our manager has the managers curse faviourites hoping they will come good again

and it costs jobs.

A kick uo the backside does no harm and an intoduction to the subsitutes bench.

He as on fire start of season its ike costa at chelsea he just doesnt look hungry

Its a shame it,s Hibs next as he is guaranteed a start needs to be dropped

rather see hardie or walsh get a start up front .

Our manager has the managers curse faviourites hoping they will come good again

and it costs jobs.

A kick uo the backside does no harm and an intoduction to the subsitutes bench.

Stick to shite adverts for selling cars.

defenses have realised he is a little slow, so are standing off him a little as they know he wont run away from them and if they get too close he does have a good turn on him to create space.

he is never a centre forward despite the goals he has score so far. I dont know why we persist in playing him there

No it's not.

Waghorn was on target, has the keeper not been there it would've been in.

It's the goalkeeper that saved the penalty, not Waghorn missing. It was an excellent save on the keeper behalf.

It was a great save & I do get the distinction between a save & a miss (old goalkeeper's Union!).

The bottom line is, it didn't go in!