Would You Have Taken This Position Pre-Season?

DennyBlueNose

Yes and no. If you told me we'd have only drawn 2 and lost 2 by Christmas, I'd probably have taken that. But if you told me we'd be level on points with Hibs, I wouldn't have taken that.

However, the fact that we are level on points with Hibs is more down to the fact Hibs keep winning than anything else because we were never going to win every single game we played.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes and no. If you told me we'd have only drawn 2 and lost 2 by Christmas, I'd probably have taken that. But if you told me we'd be level on points with Hibs, I wouldn't have taken that.

However, the fact that we are level on points with Hibs is more down to the fact Hibs keep winning than anything else because we were never going to win every single game we played.

Is it really about how they are getting on with their results?

For me the but part is about the deterioration from how good it was and we know can be (which was a surprise in how soon we got into gear at times) to where we are now. And the fact that talk, time and training still don't seem to be enough to get us out the rut.

That's actually more worrying for me than their form because we're about to lose it being in our own hands.

Is it really about how they are getting on with their results?

For me the but part is about the deterioration from how good it was and we know can be (which was a surprise in how soon we got into gear at times) to where we are now. And the fact that talk, time and training still don't seem to be enough to get us out the rut.

That's actually more worrying for me than their form because we're about to lose it being in our own hands.

I get where you're coming from, but I'm looking at it from the point of view that we had our run at the start of the season and now they are having theirs.

That's two weeks in a row that they have scored last minute goals. Everything seems to be going their way right now while we're going through a rough patch, just as they were at the start of the season. It was always going to happen.

The game on the 28th will be vital.

The passing today was terrible too many short passes going to the opposition. Tavernier had his worst game for us today and why we played Wilson instead of Ball I don't know.

The goal Mackay scored was an example of how to score in a stacked eighteen yard box. Every team in the championship is now adopting the same tactics against us, nine men in the box and try and hit us on the counter, especially when we are playing with a two man defence for most of the game.

It was a great style at first but now other teams have figured out how to nullify it, we need to change. Continually trying to feed that killer pass through the middle of the park against a stacked defence is not working we need ore shots from corner of the eighteen yard box same as young O'Hara did which would have gone in apart for a great save from big Wes. We have the players to do it, Tav, Wallace, MacKay, Wags and Halliday have all done it. Yet we continually try and thread impossible passes through nine man defences.

Today was a shock to me that we our defence was a shambles -

yet we have davie weir watching

So no matter how good as a player he isnt able to coach our center backs to do the right things

Our defence from full backs to centre defence are a liability - he cant play but he can offer how not to do it.

Brian clough in his time coached nottingham forest built his team from the back not to concede

My point is time we have to change the players to defend first and stay PUT in our own half

and stop being such an easy touch for the opposition.

Maybe we need to play tight and counter attack change our style

as the way we play isnt working

They don't have the abilty to do the right things and of the two Wilson is a total bombscare.

Today was a shock to me that we our defence was a shambles -

yet we have davie weir watching

So no matter how good as a player he isnt able to coach our center backs to do the right things

Our defence from full backs to centre defence are a liability - he cant play but he can offer how not to do it.

Brian clough in his time coached nottingham forest built his team from the back not to concede

My point is time we have to change the players to defend first and stay PUT in our own half

and stop being such an easy touch for the opposition.

Maybe we need to play tight and counter attack change our style

as the way we play isnt working

I actually don't think our centre halfs are that bad.

They are left 2 on 2 or 3 so often, with Wallace and Tav charging up the flanks and Halliday caught ahead of the ball.

I think a good defensive midfielder would make all the difference - can help us keep our shape, organise the back line, tackle and put his foot on the ball when needed.

I like Halliday, he's a great player, but he's the weak link in DM at the moment.

We don't know if the Centre Halves are good bad or indifferent ?

As has been stated they are left that exposed at times its scary.

We seem even when thumping teams to be able to gift the opposition chances.

We were the better attacking outfit against St J got beat, better attacking team against Hivs away got beat.

Have now squandered chances against Fawkirk, lost a dubious penalty and gave away a goal from nothing at a set piece.

We have no aerial presence at all at set pieces, is one headed goal so far ?

I'm not saying we should be scoring freely from headers but what it does show you is, we don't we aren't commanding in this area.

The aerial stuff is an aside, we just look as if we are incapable of actually doing the simple stuff in defence when push comes to shove, panic ? lack of composure ? or lack of ability ?

The start to the season was exceptional but people did highlight the opportunities given to other teams, we've gotten slacker not tightened up at the back and teams have sussed Waghorn coming off the defenders and either Wallace or Tavernier coming through the spaces.

We seem to have wide men who don't cross the ball. a main striker who looks more efficient playing off and screaming need for a holding midfielder to put their foot on the ball but actually deliver nit just pass for the sake of passing.

Have my reservations about the goalie but two outstanding saves yesterday but also two hands onto the penalty and it still went in :(.

January will be interesting. Players ? Loans ? Any Money for either ?

Joint top of the league at Christmas ?, I was expecting to be at least 6 points clear at this stage, and don't forget on the 1st November a win would have put us 11 points clear of hibs, In the 6 league games since that day we have only won 2 of them, we need to beat hibs In next game and kick on from there or winning the league might be a struggle, so spare me the 'Would you have taken this position pre-season pish' I would not have and had anyone suggested it to me I'd have told them to get to fuck.

After last season, I would have taken it. Did anyone think Hibs were just going to go away?

They have the same desire to go up, and a settled regime, unlike our chaos.

Our money spend means little. Players are overpaid and under perform now as a genre. Look at league tables and spending elsewhere.

WW were still a gamble. Infants in the management game, so you did not know what you were going to get.

The start of a season is like a Grand Prix. It is now that the tough get going and things level out.

Let's see who that is going to be and what WW can really do.

If they are not good enough, then we move on. They are the same as players, judged on results and performances. If Brentford thought they were indispensable, then why did they let them go? We have given them a chance, no more. They could still come good.

I fear if we put in another shitey performance against Hibs and we don't add more players in January and struggle we could see Warburton chuck in the towel for the next English Championship club that comes sniffing about. The guy can spot a player and needs the resources to match his expectations. It would be an investment if he spotted a £500k or even £1 million pound player that could be worth £5 million next year or the year after.

Among all the fears I am still positive we will come through this bad spell and win the league, I have every faith in MW and DW and the current players I also happen to think he will add to the squad in Jan and its clear to see the scouting is going well and players are coming for trials but nothing will happen until Jan window is open. hivs and other teams dont raise their game against hivs, falkirk, morton etc they will all drop points along the way. The goal at the end of the season is win the league it cant be won at the start or even the middle (where we are at) the challenge is we play cup finals every week these other teams dont. I think we are still building but im still confident that the league will be won at the end of the season.

With the signings rolling in and warbs record at Brentford I would never have taken being on level points with hibs at any stage in the season exempt after the first game.

Right now tho, I would take winning the league by goal difference as long as we won the league ?

Among all the fears I am still positive we will come through this bad spell and win the league, I have every faith in MW and DW and the current players I also happen to think he will add to the squad in Jan and its clear to see the scouting is going well and players are coming for trials but nothing will happen until Jan window is open. hivs and other teams dont raise their game against hivs, falkirk, morton etc they will all drop points along the way. The goal at the end of the season is win the league it cant be won at the start or even the middle (where we are at) the challenge is we play cup finals every week these other teams dont. I think we are still building but im still confident that the league will be won at the end of the season.

?? well said mate, you can't win the league at the start or middle so let's just get behind the team and the manager and as they do, take one game at a time

I'll tell you what,, why don't we get behind our manager and players next week and make it a noise level these players haven't heard before? Sing our hearts out and push the team on, right now they need the 12th man, US!!

This is my thoughts exactly, this is the time to get behind the team which is why I'll be there cheering them on as usual.