Mike Ashley / Newcastle relegated

27 minutes ago, piperpete said:

Feel sorry for all the genuine Toun supporters who cant see the problems at their club because they are blinded by the love of all things Newcastke, I hope this wakes them up from their sleep and they start to react to get th e club back being a football club and not an advert for selling cheap shite.

This. Don't really have a favourite English club but always admired the toon army's passion for their club. Feels familiar.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Newcastle United failed to beat Aston Villa, and as a result look certainties to be relegated from the Premier League for the second time under Mike Ashley's stewardship. A Sunderland victory over Everton would confirm it, and set the ball rolling on another period of instability for the club.

Why is this good news for Rangers?

Rangers fans will of course celebrate out of sheer schadenfreude, but there may be other reasons to crack the champagne out too. Since Newcastle will then be playing in the Football League, rather than the Premier League, they'll be playing under different rules. And some of them are a lot more strict on dual ownership of football clubs.

What do the rules say?

Section 10 of the Football League rulebook goes into quite a lot of detail about the matter, but here are some choice extracts:

98.1 Except with the prior written consent of the Board no Club may, either directly or indirectly:

98.1.1 hold or deal in (or make any application to hold or deal in or underwrite any issue of) the securities or shares of another football club; or

98.1.2 be a member of another football club; or

98.1.3 be involved in any capacity whatsoever in the management or administration of another football club; or

98.1.4 have any power whatsoever to influence the financial, commercial or business affairs or the management or administration of another football club; or

98.1.5 lend to, gift money to, purchase future receivables from or guarantee the debts or obligations of that football club (or any other arrangement of substantially similar effect).

OK, but what will happen? Will it just be a fine?

The league rules don't really say, but they certainly allow far stricter punishments:

105 Powers of The Board in Event of Default

105.2 Any breach of any of the foregoing Regulations 98 to 101 inclusive, including without limitation knowingly rendering incorrect or incomplete information pursuant to Regulations 101 and 103, shall constitute misconduct. Without prejudice to the range of other sanctions that may be imposed in respect of such breach, any Club in breach of any of the aforesaid Regulations may with the sanction of a special resolution passed at an Annual or Extraordinary General Meeting of The League, be expelled from The League. There shall be no right of appeal against such expulsion.

Now, how the league would react is unpredictable. Newcastle are obviously a big draw for the Football League. But it's hard to see Ashley getting preferential treatment from anyone after some of his recent shenanigans. By far the easier option for him would to simply end his weird interest in our club.

How did Watford get away with this? Aren't they owned by the same people who own Granada and Udinese?

Yes, they are, but the league rules don't include foreign clubs, and although Scotland is a different association, they're included in the rules:

98.3.1 ‘football club' means any football club which is in membership of any of the following:

(a) The League;

(b) The Premier League;

(c) The Football Conference;

(d) The Southern League;

(e) The Isthmian League;

(f) The Northern Premier League; or

(g) any League from time to time operated under the auspices of The Scottish Football League, Scottish Premier League or Irish Football League;

OK, but do the shares matter that much? Aren't the retail contracts a far bigger concern?

This is a little bit more of a grey area because of Rangers Retail comprising a separate company, but the way the rule is worded seems to leave no room for loopholes:

98.1.4 have any power whatsoever to influence the financial, commercial or business affairs or the management or administration of another football club;

In short, only naked corruption or overlooking the rules would allow Mike Ashley to not be punished in some form. How seriously the Football League are prepared to take this is up to them, but we'd expect the club to try and push this angle if/when Newcastle bite the dust. It might be our best (and certainly least expensive in terms of legal fees) chance of getting Ashley out of our club.

Good article about it.

http://www.gotthebattlefeveron.com/2016/5/8/11635320/mike-ashley-rangers-shares-newcastle-relegation

27 minutes ago, LegendofCoop said:

:D That's what I was coming in to say! Greatest thing I've read all month/year. :D

I've read:

all about us signing up MW and SDOW

all about our signings

all about us winning the league 

all about us reaching the Scottish cup final 

I would say those are my favourite reads, not about an English team being relegated. 

3 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

I've read:

all about us signing up MW and SDOW

all about our signings

all about us winning the league 

all about us reaching the Scottish cup final 

I would say those are my favourite reads, not about an English team being relegated. 

Newcastle being relegated is a very unfortunate thing, but because of it we'll be getting rid of Ashley whose fucked us over for a long time.

It's just a nesscary evil so we can move forward. Wish Newcastle all the best in saying that and hope they get promotion soon and also hope they too get rid of the bastard. 

10 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

Newcastle being relegated is a very unfortunate thing, but because of it we'll be getting rid of Ashley whose fucked us over for a long time.

It's just a nesscary evil so we can move forward. Wish Newcastle all the best in saying that and hope they get promotion soon and also hope they too get rid of the bastard. 

Yes it is but it's not the greatest thing I have read all month/year. Which was the point of my post. 

I think the fat controller will have applied for prior permission off the championship to hold his stake in us, maintaining his interest. 

Fingers crossed they tell him to GTF I however will not be holding my breath, the fat leech knows the angles. 

3 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Yes it is but it's not the greatest thing I have read all month/year. Which was the point of my post. 

I think the fat controller will have applied for prior permission off the championship to hold his stake in us, maintaining his interest. 

Fingers crossed they tell him to GTF I however will not be holding my breath, the fat leech knows the angles. 

Can he not just pass them to a family member anyway ?

10 minutes ago, Amato said:

Surely the big issue for us isn't Fat Mike owning shares anyway but the retail deal? 

Also fuck Fat Mike.

The quoted article seems to be implying they may be covered if it is suggested it gives him influence over the club, seems a stretch but 

1 hour ago, seb1972 said:

season aint over yet peeps still loads to look forward to:

1 us beating the junkies in final and getting into europe again;

2 the junkies staying down;

3 keane getting the tarrier joab

And the relevance to Newcastle getting relegated is?

11 minutes ago, Spectre said:

The quoted article seems to be implying they may be covered if it is suggested it gives him influence over the club, seems a stretch but 

It's not a stretch at all.

98.1.4 have any power whatsoever to influence the financial, commercial or business affairs or the management or administration of another football club

Rangers Retail has a direct influence over our commercial affairs, so under this section it would be deemed unacceptable.

43 minutes ago, Amato said:

Surely the big issue for us isn't Fat Mike owning shares anyway but the retail deal? 

Also fuck Fat Mike.

Ashley owning shares is blocking us from raising funds through a share issue. 

I think. 

2 hours ago, piperpete said:

Feel sorry for all the genuine Toun supporters who cant see the problems at their club because they are blinded by the love of all things Newcastke, I hope this wakes them up from their sleep and they start to react to get th e club back being a football club and not an advert for selling cheap shite.

Have you ever taken a look at their forums?  Have you ever taken a look at one of their matches even?

Newcastle-United-banner.jpg

Newcastle_fans_583364a.jpg

Newcastle-Fan-Protest.jpg

http://ashleyout.com/