Matt Gilks

1 minute ago, weeto said:

He was horrendous today. I was nervous every time the ball went near him. He made some brave saves but a club of our stature can't have a guy that is so bad with the ball at his feet. I'm really surprised that a good goalie wasn't made a major priority in the summer instead of the waste of space primadonna midfielders. Midfield was our strongest position and Warburton managed to weaken it with additions.

A decent goalie would organise the defence better too.

You are at it surely

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Rangers_no1 said:

What a load of utter garbage.

The way some of the other posters have praised Gilks seems a bit over the top.

Rangers fans are used to Goram, Klos, Woods and McGregor and not the likes of Gilks and Foderingham. Neither of the two of them are fit for our reserves normally.

3 minutes ago, weeto said:

The way some of the other posters have praised Gilks seems a bit over the top.

Rangers fans are used to Goram, Klos, Woods and McGregor and not the likes of Gilks and Foderingham. Neither of the two of them are fit for our reserves normally.

Wes is better at the age of 25 than McGregor was. 

12 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Agree neither are near the level of what we had before, but come on, you said he was horrendous today?

Well, maybe horrendous was an overstatement but that kick out would have been awful if it had been a Greenock vs Port Glasgow junior game never mind an Old Firm match. His actual saves did make a difference to the result but was terrified every time the ball came back to him but Foderingham is similar at times. Goram used to be great with the ball at his feet in comparison but I'm probably being unrealistic in hoping for a world class goalie when we're shopping in Aldi rather than Waitrose.

I think someone my age (I'm 36 and can barely remember anything prior to signing half the England team under Souness and then on from that, with very fuzzy memories of us being dreadful under Jock Wallace second time around) would find it hard to take anything other than waves of frequent success with only a handful of one or two year breaks in this. I didn't live in the days where we had prolonged periods of abject failure and Rangers domination, on and off the park was the only thing I'd ever really seen.

I'm just praying that the club can get back to what I remember as normality, with a superior team, a strong corporate identity and structure and hopefully we can get the merchandise side sorted out and get a winning team on the field.

I guess most of you are right that Gilks showed bravery and determination but I've been used to seeing the best protecting our goal and having someone try their best but not at the level of a top star can be frustrating.

56 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Wobbles apart, he did the important things well.

Him, Hodson, Hill and without doubt Kiernan are not to blame for today.

They all did us proud today.Big praise for Kiernan.He has rightly got criticised big time on here for previous games so credit where credit is due.Well played today young man.Maybe having someone like Hill beside him could be what he needs.

1 hour ago, weeto said:

He was horrendous today. I was nervous every time the ball went near him. He made some brave saves but a club of our stature can't have a guy that is so bad with the ball at his feet. I'm really surprised that a good goalie wasn't made a major priority in the summer instead of the waste of space primadonna midfielders. Midfield was our strongest position and Warburton managed to weaken it with additions.

A decent goalie would organise the defence better too.

_wtf you must be off your face ifyou think our keeper was horrendous today. He kept us in the game and our defence was more organised than I've seen it all season.

He should have the No1 jersery for a while and keep Foderingham on his toes.  Maybe a bit of role reversal with Foderingham getting the Scottish Cup games.

Aside from Hill its a great pity that none of the other players or subs who came on could muster the same sort of performance in a big game.   Perhaps more to the point its a pity Warburton was not able to convert his pre-match rhetoric about preparing well, training well, 2 serious discussions among the squad about what was required, and ideals of playing at the right levels of intensity and at levels required at Rangers.    Sure the players let themselves down.  But imo the manager is not a motivator to get them to these sorts of aspirational levels.  2 players got there and the rest didn't.  That, imo, is just as much a managerial failure as it is individual player failure. 

Outstanding performance today. Saved us from a hiding! His players in front of him tried their best to make him look a fanny right enough, they 2 back passes were shocking! No way should gilks have had to deal with pish like that. Anyway good solid performance and one of not many positives from todays game.