I've lost confidence in MW now

eejay the dj

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

That's a great point.

I wasn't even Smith's biggest fan at times but at least he was a winner and knew what it meant to win things and beat Celtic. Warburton clearly doesn't or he wouldn't have made those changes and made that team selection today.

I don't know where we go from here tbh.

I'm not at the sack it stage with Warburton yet but I honestly can't argue against anyone that wants him gone, either.

I do blame King for a lot of this but Mark is not blameless.

If you go to the English lower leagues for players and guys like Hodson (he did OK today) who was at Kilmarnock last season then you deserve everything you get. He's got McParland doing his thing in England when he should be looking places like Russia, Ukraine, Slovakia, Slovenia, Montenegro, Serbia, Belarus, Estonia etc.

Sorry to go off tangent a bit from your Smith point.

Smith wouldn't do much with this squad. In fact I think we would be worse.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, 1NachoNovo said:

The way I see it, we have been shafted by the board because we played them off the park last season. They thought we were better than we are and decided to keep the piggy bank intact. 

MW frustrates the shite out me, but who knows what he can do with some investment in the team? Half of me wants to give him a lift home to england, but the other half wants me to see what he can do with good signings.

we signed 11 players in the summer a few of these on massive wages  while i am no fan of the board we did spend money the problem was most of the signings have been very poor   it is ok to say spend money but with the money in england what decent player will come here. celtic only spent money on sinclair  4mill dembele cost 500k  the difference is their manager has got more out of last seasons players than our manager has

7 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Of course it was a marketing ploy however I also think the board and to some of extent, the fans expectations were raised after we beat them last season and people started thinking that less was required to close the gap even though they were going through the motions with a lame duck manager and a load of unfit players who didn't want to play for him at the time we beat them.

We thought we were closing the gap and they went and widened it by getting a Premier League quality manager and three Premier League quality players while we raked about the bargain bin trying to throw together a squad on a budget that wasn't anywhere close to what was needed to truly close the gap.

use your power and close this thread this is the winner!

10 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Of course it was a marketing ploy however I also think the board and to some of extent, the fans expectations were raised after we beat them last season and people started thinking that less was required to close the gap even though they were going through the motions with a lame duck manager and a load of unfit players who didn't want to play for him at the time we beat them.

We thought we were closing the gap and they went and widened it by getting a Premier League quality manager and three Premier League quality players while we raked about the bargain bin trying to throw together a squad on a budget that wasn't anywhere close to what was needed to truly close the gap.

Get all your points I just don't think it's entirely fair to say fans are unreasonable expecting a challenge when the people in charge were happy to hype up that there would be a challenge

I'm not even talking about myself here I'm someone who'll keep on buying a season ticket regardless but there's plenty who'll get fed up with the product and the board not being honest with them and simply stop going

15 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

'Going for 55'.  But they (King and Warburton) were careful not to say when.

Warburton spoke of being 'more than competitive'.  Then modified it (watered it down) recently to 'highly competitive'.

King - after ST were sold - explained he wanted the team to be 'competitive'.  Wow - a real dumbing down of Rangers' tradition there.   And added that success was winning a European slot.

So sure it was it marketing ploy.  The truth is we are going for 55.   It's just that its not going to be this season or maybe even not next season since King's ability or willingness to find investment money has evaporated. 

I don't think Warburton has the leadership 'get it done' skill, temperament or experience to lead us to 55.   He may be a good enough manager for a club whose ambitions and urgent hunger for success is a lot less than it is at Rangers.   Management by analysis and visioning ideals of ways to play seems to his forte.   He has proved time and again this season and during the latter part of last season that he is not able to motivate a bunch of highly paid and reasonably talented players to deliver to their full potential as individuals and as a team.   He is not, imo, producing a side that will end up beind more than competitive this season - the results and performances are the evidence of this.   He might yet do it and for all our sakes I hope he does.   But right now, and after 2 poor OF results and performances, it looks to me that it might be beyond him.

Personally I think he is better suited to a DOF role at Rangers to build the framework to revitalise the Club's football ambitions and replace him with a manager who is a better galvaniser and director of players to get more out of them.

3 minutes ago, billscott said:

we signed 11 players in the summer a few of these on massive wages  while i am no fan of the board we did spend money the problem was most of the signings have been very poor   it is ok to say spend money but with the money in england what decent player will come here. celtic only spent money on sinclair  4mill dembele cost 500k  the difference is their manager has got more out of last seasons players than our manager has

Whether we like it or not, they have always been in the premier league and have always had a higher standard of player. They have the same failure as us. Their board have only spent what it takes to win in this league. Their fans want success in the champions league, but it was never going to happen, as their board don't have that ambition. Kind of sums up scottish football really. Winning in scotland is the be all and end all.

Just now, K.A.I said:

He done well with Le Guen's squad who were under-performing too.

I'm not saying he was a tactical mastermind.

Walters tactics worked for us and Scotland but i'm not so sure I could stomach some of the performances again. It could be pretty dull.

I liked MW at first, and I liked the  way we played football, seems a long time ago though.

I'd rather have lost 4-3 today than 1-0. We are set up to be expansive and score goals but we are not scoring and look short on confidence.

We are meant to be an attacking team under MW yet we can't score or even get shots on goal.

If his "plan a" of attacking possession football isn't working and his "plan b" of do "plan a" better isn't working then surely he must be failing?

He's a likeable guy but he isn't improving the team. His signings in the summer have proven to be awful frankly.

He needs to come up with a system that works. I say 442 with Garner and Miller up top. Let Garner do the running and let Miller feed off him. Get MOH on the right and let him get to the byline and get crosses in with Windass on the left cutting inside and providing extra support to the middle when need. A combination from Holt/Halliday/Crooks/Rossiter in the middle. 

This 433 isn't working as we have nothing up front because of it. I'm sick of seeing Miller in left/right back positions defending for us, even worse given that he does a better job than our full backs. Almost as bad as Jelavic taking throw ins.

So many issues with the team that I think could be lifted by a positve formation change.

6 minutes ago, simplythebest said:

Get all your points I just don't think it's entirely fair to say fans are unreasonable expecting a challenge when the people in charge were happy to hype up that there would be a challenge

I'm not even talking about myself here I'm someone who'll keep on buying a season ticket regardless but there's plenty who'll get fed up with the product and the board not being honest with them and simply stop going

No I don't think you could blame the fans in the Summer, especially when the club were actively pushing it, but surely anybody with a sense of sense can see we are miles away from them now and it's probably unfair to expect us to be close when it's clear the team has been underinvested in.

That was telling today, Warburton completely abandoned his own philosophy and set us up like a Walter Smith team but he ain't no Walter Smith.

I felt it looked like he knew another battering off them would be curtains for him, while I actually think he was correct tactically it's a bit of an eye opener that the manager doesn't have faith in his system or his first choice players to get us to where we want to be, particularly against them.

We didn't try and win that game today, that's a very big problem for me, it just doesn't sit easy at all.

The trouble is Warburton has pigeon holed the playing style and a squad to tie in with that style that he can't even change it now if he wanted to because he'd look like he admitted defeat by changing to 4-4-2 for example.

its very much a case of live by 4-3-3 and die by 4-3-3.

Would have a lot of respect for him if he came out with a new shape on Wednesday and said, it's time for plan b. Things haven't worked and we are trying something new but there's no chance of this ever happening and it will be his downfall.

1 hour ago, simplythebest said:

I don't think I'm being unreasonable, i know a manager will always publically protect players and not slate them in the manner that fans do. But a degree of honesty is surely required when we're nearly in November and the season has been a struggle basically every game 

I don't think you're being unreasonable, but I think you are overlooking, even slightly, the job that Warburton has, especially regarding young players. We have a problem in that some of the signings are young, and some of the the signings were in a career cul de sac and they have been given a new chance to make something of their career. Either way that is a long term strategy, which our budget necessitates our need for, but it also points to players where confidence is a huge factor in their form. Perhaps some players haven't recovered from the Cup Final loss, I don't know, but there is something going on with some players who performed well last season and are not the same this season. I don't think it's just a question of a step up in the standards of opposition, but maybe the pressure of playing for Rangers is perhaps too great a task for some of these players. 

Takes Off the only Rangers class player who should've been kept on even in a wheelchair, substitutions McKay now a non contributer for a coward, so no loss there! Only player could've won that game was Miller, the rest not fit for purpose ! Couldve and should've won it if not not for naivety ! Shambles ! :sherlock:

Lots of posts telling the truth on today's game, so where do we go from here ?

I'm as gutted as the next bear at today's performance, which was a disgrace to the Rangers jersey.

Yes MW got his selection and tactics totally wrong today, but for me, the entire blame lies with the guy at the top. 

We were promised investment, with a figure of 30 million mentioned as a sweetener to the fans, which, "surprisingly", hasn't come about.

We are beyond the shit boards, players etc of the 2012 -2015 era. We now have a board, voted overwhelming for by you, the fans.

This board is led by everyone's "favourite" choice, who alone, must shoulder the blame, as this is his team, his manager, his choosing.

So let's lay the blame at the real doorstep.

2 hours ago, Gary Wilmot's Wedding Brek said:

I hate to say it, but he's fucking clueless. Clueless in signings, clueless in formation, clueless in thinking dropping points against diddy teams is acceptable when we've been 'brave with the ball' or 'won the possession'. Pissed £2.5 million down the drain on Garner and MOH too. Tav on the wing today, and to think of the fucking grief Smith and Eck got for similar decisions (but at least won us titles). 

The sooner our support and board realise Warburton is a taking us all onto a hiding to nothing the better. 

Clueless manager 3 in the midfield pish against 4 or 5 every week, sick of his aftermath press confrences

saying the same pish.tippy tappy shite at the back trying to play it out as if we're Barcelona,then it ends up a

punt up anyway! Constantly playing that wee shitebag McKay , never gets the tactics right, ever,get him to fk

in January when we're 20 points behind the scum.

2 minutes ago, bornabear said:

Lots of posts telling the truth on today's game, so where do we go from here ?

I'm as gutted as the next bear at today's performance, which was a disgrace to the Rangers jersey.

Yes MW got his selection and tactics totally wrong today, but for me, the entire blame lies with the guy at the top. 

We were promised investment, with a figure of 30 million mentioned as a sweetener to the fans, which, "surprisingly", hasn't come about.

We are beyond the shit boards, players etc of the 2012 -2015 era. We now have a board, voted overwhelming for by you, the fans.

This board is led by everyone's "favourite" choice, who alone, must shoulder the blame, as this is his team, his manager, his choosing.

So let's lay the blame at the real doorstep.

I think we need to know where the club is at on a financial level, what the financial strategy is for the future of the club. We need clarity in terms of leadership at the top of the club which will take this club forward, and how much is the manager being supported in his vision for the club.

The best manager in the world can’t do much if he’s limited to spending in the bargain basement. We are being thoroughly outspent, and as a result we are looking at damage limitation. We have a very good management team and we have to back them financially. A lot of us knew the £30m was pie in the sky.

2 hours ago, DBBTB said:

In football you generally get what you pay for. That's why such a big deal is made of underdog teams who do go on a cup run or punch above their weight.

We havent spent the money we have well but we still aren't paying or spending anywhere enough to have a squad capable of mounting a realistic and serious challenge to them over the course of a 38 game season.

Unfortunately that's the reality of where we are just now.

Harsh reality for some to take.  I still maintain that what we are spending on 4 over the hill players is not wisely spent. If we admit we wouldn't challenge this season but were building to mount a significant challenge in Season2, then will any of the £100k p/w players still be there?  Hardly spending using your money wisely. Yes you get what you pay for but we should be sweeping many of the teams aside this year the way the rest of the Top3 seem to be able to do. We've a 0 goal difference after 9 league games, yet those 4 players alone will be a budget way beyond what others are capable of spending.

We can't compete with them because of their budget, yet others can compete with us despite theirs?