What do we need to get back to the top?

OzGers

It's clear for all to see, without significant investment in this squad, we run the risk of continuing to fight for second best.

We have backed this club through thick and thin and deserve a club who is Scotlands no.1 not perennial runners up.

this got me thinking about our title winning squad of 10/11- how does it compare to now?

Firstly, we had a shagger in goals, who is better than Fod, but I don't think this is a position we are lacking in, particularly with gilks as backup.

Then we had a back 4 of sasa/weir/boogie/whitts

In terms of what Wallace/hodson/tav bring, I don't think there is much difference between whitts and sasa, as all were inconsistent at times either in defence or attack

The massive difference here is centrally- clearly weir and boogie were head and shoulders above hill and keirnan, and for me, we need 2 quality defenders in next 6 months, with hill/keirnan/Wilson as depth

Midfield is also scary when you consider we had weiss/Davis/edu/jig.

McKay/windass/rossiter have the potential makings of a good midfield, but I think we are a creative and box to box type away from a title winning midfield. Again, the likes of Halliday and holt would have been nothing more than depth signings in the 10/11 team

Finally, and the most glaring was our front line, with Jelavic, naisy and lafferty all playing their part.

Our current strikers come no where near these 3, and the likes of garner, Miller and waggy again would have been depth signings, albeit better quality than the likes of velicka and Healy.

again, it appears we are for me, 2 quality front men away from a title winning force.

Scary to think that despite signing 11, we are still 6 1st teamers away from a title challenge imo

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 centre backs.

Defensive midfielder.

2 attacking midfielders.

Another winger for the right hand side and a striker.

We get quality in all of those positions and there's a team capable of winning the league.

And the only thing bringing these players in is money and lots of it,if the charlatans in power aren't up to spending it they can get chased out the door.

Having said that I'm not sure if I'd trust Warburton with that level of cash considering his last two transfer windows have been complete disasters.

How much did the tarriers spend in the summer on players? They made it back relatively quick with the CL money.

defenders that know how to actually do the basics, if your under pressure don't pass to the keeper or the guy thats marked by another teams player, just kick the fucking thing out

nah fuck it, a manager that has the brains to change when the shit hits the fan not pasveer with it hoping its going to work out, thats how you earn your crust

A manager that is going to set up to exploit the oppositions weaknesses and nullify their strengths.

Unpredictability 

More fight

Better quality players

Strikers that score.

The main problem this year is clearly lack of goals,I had see serious concerns about the defense and always had us down to conceded at least one goal per game. There is no firepower in this team, wingers don't score enough, midfield don't score enough, we are not ruthless when we have teams already beaten. 

We have a small squad but there is already at least 5 that are not contributing anything of note, costing wages and just there to make up numbers 

Senderos: Ohalloran :Dodoo: Rossiter: Crooks: Aird:

Not sure a lot of money is actually required.

we certainly need to get better with pre contracts- imagine we got jota on a free? There is a quality addition right there 

if we can manage to spend 5mill in summer for possible europe, we can easily get 2 quality signings plus a few pre/frees and a quality loan

Every player we have at Rangers is a quality footballer, if they all played to the top of their game regularly we would be wiping the floor most weeks after battering teams.

The consistency level is pretty much non existant, one good game every  four or five  is no good whatsoever to us, 4/10-9/10-6/10-5/10-6/10 seems to be the rollercoaster performances of most.

The Goalie and Clint Hill are quite steady, the rest are all over the fuckin place.

A new manager would be the top priority.

MW is not ruthless enough, is too inexperienced and looks absolutely lost when opposition gaffers change tactics mid game.

Even if you gave MW £10m to spend in this window I still don't think the glaring faults up front and at the back would be addressed at all.

11 minutes ago, OzGers said:

Not sure a lot of money is actually required.

we certainly need to get better with pre contracts- imagine we got jota on a free? There is a quality addition right there 

if we can manage to spend 5mill in summer for possible europe, we can easily get 2 quality signings plus a few pre/frees and a quality loan

Agree with this. Jota on a free would be creaming yourself material. He's a player I rate. That's the type of quality we should be going for, throughout the park. If its a freebie then so be it. But i honestly believe we have to spend a few million into the squad. A DM is required. A striker who can actually score. Jota i would play in the middle. I'd like a winger and one centre back. If we got quality in those positions i jusy mentioned i believe we will be in a better position to challenge.

2 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

We have a squad of what, 25 first team players?

Who deserves the poty award this year so far and why?

If you can name more than 3 players you're doing better than me.

There's your answer.

Holt for his effort. Hill cause he's done well. Foderingham because he's saved us more than anyone.

Money and good players.

Only about 3 of the players who started last night are good enough to play for Rangers, roughly 5 in the entire match day squad of 18.

That tells you all you need to know. Unless we find a millionaire, it'll be 15 in a row never mind 10.

Scottish football is so bad that we could stroll to 2nd every year.

12 minutes ago, Albertz 78 said:

A new manager would be the top priority.

MW is not ruthless enough, is too inexperienced and looks absolutely lost when opposition gaffers change tactics mid game.

Even if you gave MW £10m to spend iin this window I still don't think the glaring faults up front and at the back would be addressed at all.

Disagree. I thought the tactics was fine. It was the players that didn't actually take their chances. First 25 mins St.Johnstone had no shots on target, we was running the show. Its when we lost the goal the players heads dropped. That isn't the managers fault. What is the managers fault is he signed these players to play for us. Whether he had no choice but to sign these players due to our financial position or he actually wanted them. 1.8 million on Garner suggests he wanted them cause we do have some sort of money.

8 minutes ago, LeeWallaceRFC said:

Money and good players.

Only about 3 of the players who started last night are good enough to play for Rangers, roughly 5 in the entire match day squad of 18.

That tells you all you need to know. Unless we find a millionaire, it'll be 15 in a row never mind 10.

Scottish football is so bad that we could stroll to 2nd every year.

We need more than a millionaire.