Jon Toral Signs Until End of Season.

Signed on loan, according to The Sun.

RANGERS last night clinched a loan deal with Arsenal to bring in midfield ace Jon Toral.

SunSport understands from sources in Spain that Toral’s current loan club Granada expect him to be at Ibrox by Sunday.

Jon Toral could be at Ibrox by Sunday

Granada are due to play Real Madrid on Saturday, but it’s unclear yet if Toral, who starred for Gers gaffer Mark Warburton at Brentford, will be involved in the side for a possible farewell appearance.

However, it’s believed the Gunners, who last season also loaned Gedion Zelalem to Gers, have agreed for Toral, 21, to head to Glasgow for the start of next week.

Toral’s agreement is purely to the end of the season. It is expected he could make his Gers debut in Germany, in the friendly against Red Bull Leipzig on January 15.

The former Barcelona academy graduate, who last season also shone for Birmingham in the Championship, was keen to be reunited with Ibrox boss Warburton as soon as he became aware of the Light Blues’ interest.

Gers boss Mark Warburton managed the Spaniard at Brentford

Toral has only made six appearances for Granada but he has featured against the likes of Barca, Valencia and Villarreal this season.

Toral has been targeted after Gers lost Niko Kranjcar to injury and let Joey Barton leave.

Jordan Rossiter’s debut season has also been wrecked by injury, while Matt Crooks and Josh Windass have also endured fitness problems.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/388240/rangers-boss-mark-warburton-clinches-loan-move-for-arsenal-midfield-ace-jon-toral/

He's 21, almost 22. You'd think if he was going to make it Arsenal by now he would have. I think it's very likely he'll leave Arsenal in the summer if his contract's up, just a question if we could secure him permanently (and if he's good).

Just now, Broxi said:

He's 21, almost 22. You'd think if he was going to make it Arsenal by now he would have. I think it's very likely he'll leave Arsenal in the summer if his contract's up, just a question if we could secure him permanently (and if he's good).

He will no doubt command a fairly large wage.

Probably a good signing. Don't know much about him neglecting his injuries. I hope that the papers quoting this was our main target for the window was wrong as I'd rather some experienced signings.

That said he can't be worse than what we have if fit! I'm also excited to make any moves this window!

Paul Caddis (ex tarrier, now plays for Birmingham) quotes on Toral 

And Caddis reckons he could be the difference between Mark Warburton’s men finishing second or languishing in third or fourth.

He said: “Second place is last place when you’re at the Old Firm but that’s the reality for Rangers right now.

“I don’t think anyone seriously expected them to challenge Celtic in their first season back in the top flight and I think that will be the same for a few years to come yet.

“The target for Rangers must be second place and getting back into Europe.

“They have a battle on their hands at the moment with Hearts and Aberdeen doing well too.

“But someone like Jon could certainly swing it in Rangers’ favour.

“He’ll bring so much quality — and he might prove the difference at the end of the season.

“Jon is a matchwinner. We relied on him so much, but to be fair he produced.”

Caddis, 28, moved to Birmingham on a permanent deal in 2013.

Caddis and Toral celebrate when they were together at Birmingham

After almost four years with the Blues he knows a fans’ favourite when he sees one.

And at St Andrew’s, Toral was certainly that.

Caddis added: “He cleaned up at our end-of-season awards and deservedly so.

“If I remember right he won Players’ Player of the Year and he got the award from the fans too.

“He’s a top lad and a real top talent as well.

“He’s good, very good, and he’d be a great signing for Rangers, I’m sure.

“Jon is excellent technically and he’ll definitely get on the ball and make things happen.

“His left foot especially is very good. He’s not your stereotypical foreigner in the sense that he won’t go down easily.

“He’s been in Britain a long time and his mum is from Doncaster.

“He’s also best mates with Hector Bellerin — I’m sure they signed for Arsenal together.

“In fact, I think that when Jon got married in the summer Bellerin was his best man.

“He’s a really nice guy and very down-to-earth so he will have no problem settling in.”

Caddis has played with some brilliant players in a career that’s taken him from Glasgow to Birmingham via Dundee and Swindon.

But not many left the kind of impression that Toral did in just one season together at St Andrew’s. Caddis confessed: “He was a joy to play with, if I am honest.

“We used to laugh and joke in the dressing room and say ‘Any chance you could do something for us, Jon?’

“We knew that if we were being honest he was the one running the show.

Paul Caddis reckons the Spaniard could be the difference for Rangers

“He was our go-to guy. We used to say ‘Give it to Jon, he’ll do something’. Nine times out of ten, he did.

“We should have bought him and made the move permanent.

“It didn’t happen and now having gone back to Spain for a short while it looks like he’s going to Ibrox.

“That will be Rangers’ gain.

“The move will suit both parties because I don’t think Jon has been playing as much there as he would have liked.

“Rangers certainly need someone creative in the middle of the park and he fits the bill for sure.”

As well as spending a season on loan at Birmingham, Toral was also farmed out to Brentford.

At Griffin Park he played under Mark Warburton and David Weir — the two men so eager to bring him to Glasgow for the rest of the season.

He said: “The Rangers manager knows him so from his point of view it will be a no-brainer.

“He knows what Jon is capable of and knowing Scottish football as I do then there’s absolutely no doubt he’ll make an impact.

“It will help Jon that he knows the manager and David Weir too.

“They all worked together at Brentford so that will help him settle.

“His best position is probably in the hole.

Don't know anything about him but from the comments and what I'm reading he sounds like a good player (even if there's another Brentford link in there as usual)

For all the good player he may be, I can't get excited about 1 player in isolation. What I mean by that is I'm sure we aren't just targeting the one midfielder but we need 3 of them - I think I will get optimistic and excited once we've signed all 3 rather than being linked with 1 - if that even makes sense? 

PS that's a fair write-up from Caddis. I don't mind Tarriers that talk in that sort of tone i.e being honest and constructive about what we need and with an almost complimentary tone and saying things like back in top flight and back in Europe - emphasis on the "back" 

My only worry is we act as a shop window for him then he signs with another team for next season. Would like to think playing in front of 50k every other week and European football would be enough of a lure though, we will see.

2 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

I know that quite a few of the spanish teams dont pay that much in wages compared to the top ones, but Arsenal? Youngsters down south get paid quite a lot, do they not?

Yeah it all depends on how much potential they see in them though. The more potential the higher the wage cause they don't want to lose them, they don't seem too bothered about Toral so I'd hazard a guess at around 10-12k a week max

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

Don't know anything about him but from the comments and what I'm reading he sounds like a good player (even if there's another Brentford link in there as usual)

For all the good player he may be, I can't get excited about 1 player in isolation. What I mean by that is I'm sure we aren't just targeting the one midfielder but we need 3 of them - I think I will get optimistic and excited once we've signed all 3 rather than being linked with 1 - if that even makes sense? 

KAI man fucking loosing up and celebrate, we will go to Leipzig, get fucking pished on the Saturday, wake up on Sunday go to the stadium and Rossiter Toral and Modric will be on that pitch.

Best case scenario is that he's someone with a bit of guile that can be a good foil for a McKay so that we can start creating a broader creative base.

Who knows though. Only know of him what people are writing. Like I say, fingers crossed.

2 minutes ago, Skyson1872 said:

Yeah it all depends on how much potential they see in them though. The more potential the higher the wage cause they don't want to lose them, they don't seem too bothered about Toral so I'd hazard a guess at around 10-12k a week max

But he did come to Arsenal along with Bellerin, and was rated higher.