*** The Official Hearts vs Rangers Match Thread ***

RFCRobertson

We desperately need Toral to look sharper here, no room for passengers away to this lot. They've been shite under Cathro, but given the fact that everyone is 100x more motivated when we roll into town, it's a midweek atmosphere and the physicality they still possess i'm nervous for this. Warburton needs an away win against a top 4 side. Desperately needs it. Forget investment, if you can't beat Hearts, Aberdeen or Celtic or even Falkirk and Hibs last year at least once (in the league) you just don't belong here. 

1 minute ago, Vanoli said:

We desperately need Toral to look sharper here, no room for passengers away to this lot. They've been shite under Cathro, but given the fact that everyone is 100x more motivated when we roll into town, it's a midweek atmosphere and the physicality they still possess i'm nervous for this. Warburton needs an away win against a top 4 side. Desperately needs it. Forget investment, if you can't beat Hearts, Aberdeen or Celtic or even Falkirk and Hibs last year at least once (in the league) you just don't belong here. 

Even once isn't enough mate!

If Tavernier can play the way he did on Saturday then there's no issue with him playing tonight. But you just don't know what you'll get from him sadly, he's almost the new Whittaker, dread seeing him name on the team sheet then he does something amazing and shuts everyone up. 

I still hope Halliday is dropped for Windass but I can't see it. Unless he plays both and uses Windass further forward instead of MOH

11 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

I can think of two crosses against Motherwell, one from from a corner, and they were fucking awful.

Nobody in our team can cross a ball without making a cunt of it or hitting the player. The lack of ability for a professional footballer to not beat the first man with a cross from our squad is nothing short of disgraceful. The same with blazing the ball over the bar for every shot we take. This is what we should be addressing in training.

31 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

If Tavernier can play the way he did on Saturday then there's no issue with him playing tonight. But you just don't know what you'll get from him sadly, he's almost the new Whittaker, dread seeing him name on the team sheet then he does something amazing and shuts everyone up. 

I still hope Halliday is dropped for Windass but I can't see it. Unless he plays both and uses Windass further forward instead of MOH

I think this is likely. Windass or Toral further on with the other in midfield. 

44 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

I can think of two crosses against Motherwell, one from from a corner, and they were fucking awful.

He shaped a couple low right across goal about 6 yards out and we had nobody throwing themselves at it. The curse of the rotating forward line where nobody is poaching. 

8 minutes ago, BlueThunder said:

As has been mentioned, if Toral plays he really has to be up to speed. Given how shattered he was after 60 mins against Motherwell I doubt he'll play the full match. I'd expect the compulsory 60 min sub.

He needs to get fitter but to me looks a player but we need strikers to run of him.

15 minutes ago, BlueThunder said:

As has been mentioned, if Toral plays he really has to be up to speed. Given how shattered he was after 60 mins against Motherwell I doubt he'll play the full match. I'd expect the compulsory 60 min sub.

:tu:

This strategy of subs on at 60 minutes has to be reviewed by the manager .... as we have all witnessed in previous games that some players should be pulled sooner when they are not performing either through fitness or just not making their mark ..... and it would also allow the sub more game time to adjust and have the required impact. 

Toral does need game time and is a talented player .... but if he (or any other player) is battling to adjust fitness wise he should be pulled when he flags until he is up to speed ..... this should be recognised by the management team during the whole game and not just on this predictable 60 minute change of players just for change sake we have seen previously with no real (or rarely any) cutting edge effect on the game.

:UK:

1 hour ago, saltire266 said:

Nobody in our team can cross a ball without making a cunt of it or hitting the player. The lack of ability for a professional footballer to not beat the first man with a cross from our squad is nothing short of disgraceful. The same with blazing the ball over the bar for every shot we take. This is what we should be addressing in training.

I have been moaning about this for what seems an age now. 

Our corners and free kicks outside the box are shocking too. 

If we could find a man in the box we'd be a decent threat. 

30 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

This strategy of subs on at 60 minutes has to be reviewed by the manager .... as we have all witnessed in previous games that some players should be pulled sooner when they are not performing either through fitness or just not making their mark ..... and it would also allow the sub more game time to adjust and have the required impact. 

Toral does need game time and is a talented player .... but if he (or any other player) is battling to adjust fitness wise he should be pulled when he flags until he is up to speed ..... this should be recognised by the management team during the whole game and not just on this predictable 60 minute change of players just for change sake we have seen previously with no real (or rarely any) cutting edge effect on the game.

He got the subs right at the weekend to be fair.

3 hours ago, billsim1984 said:

As opposed to tav who is so defensively strong? It was tav who gifted them two goals last time we were at tynecastle 

Tavernier's weaknesses don't make Hodson a good defender.  Hodson is a very limited player from what I have seen, and he's a bomb scare around our box.  He lacks positional sense and looks scared when people are running at him. 

7 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

He got the subs right at the weekend to be fair.

You are of course correct mate .... but I did say rarely, not never   .... and still have a lot of time for our manager and his staff.

My main point was that subs should be used at any time during the 90 minutes when players are not (for whatever reason) doing their job ..... and subs introduced on or about the 60 minute mark just to rotate the squad and give players some game time should be revised.

.... as the time to sub a player should be over the 90 minutes and not at the death when we are chasing for a result .... I feel that this may help rather than hinder our chances of winning a game as opposed to biting our nails down to our elbows and ending up with a draw or worse as has been the case this season.

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

You are of course correct mate .... but I did say rarely, not never   .... and still have a lot of time for our manager and his staff.

My main point was that subs should be used at any time during the 90 minutes when players are not (for whatever reason) doing their job ..... and subs introduced on or about the 60 minute mark just to rotate the squad and give players some game time should be revised.

.... as the time to sub a player should be over the 90 minutes and not at the death when we are chasing for a result .... I feel that this may help rather than hinder our chances of winning a game as opposed to biting our nails down to our elbows and ending up with a draw or worse as has been the case this season.

Fair enough :tu:

My main concern with the subs is they rarely change the game. Majority of the time its very much like for like and they come on and do exactly the same job as the player before them.

3 hours ago, Gaz52 said:

Aye he's a frustrating wee player. Same with Keirnan and quite a few others right enough. Too many are simply not good enough for the level we need to reach. Only a few can be relied upon to turn up properly each week or not make needless mistakes against the better sides.

Here's hoping they all turn up tonight and Hearts are as poor as I'm hearing.

1-2