Barrie McKay Training with under 20's

Smile

54 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

Whole team was pish - not just one player.

Woa, I'm sorry, I didn't realise I was chatting with experts able to understand this lads psychology, best position, physical limits etc, skill set without even working with him day to day.

I'm out of my league here, sorry for taking part in such a complex and in-depth conversation.

Good luck with your motivational "yoo ur fukin shite man" emanations from the stands - if that doesn't get the lads going - I don't know what will! :lol:

No need to apologise, but accepted anyway, just don't let it happen again. Thank you. 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see him as having achieved the sort of consistent 7 or better out of 10 performances either under Warburton or Pedro.    Flashes of capability from time to time but not on a consistent enough basis for somebody that really should - at his age and imo- be well within sight of being on his top game.

The dilemma for Pedro is how much more time would he give McKay to move into a higher gear on a much more consistent basis and to go on from there.   The players - McKay included - were given plenty of warning on a frequent basis from Pedro during the last few months of the season of the sort of characteristics the manager is looking to see displayed and for demonstration of an ability to do so consistently.   Personally, I don't think many players either got it or wanted to get it.   Miller did.   I don't think McKay was convinced enough to energise himself to perform at a better and more consistent level when he was given the opportunity to play.

Having run the measuring tape over him maybe Pedro has him in the zone of squad player until he can demonstrate that when given the chance to play he embraces it fully and shows far more consistently that he can be an effective player who makes a visible improvement to the team when he plays well.   The trouble is he's not really done enough of that under Pedro's command.  Maybe Pedro has him in the territory of keep him if no bid comes in during the summer transfer window and if he signs a pre-contract for someone else when the time comes then so be it, the only loss being the loss of a transfer fee because he'll then have been written off in the manager's mind as not able or willing to deliver the sorts of performances needed at Rangers on a regular enough basis.   

McKay may wish for success playing for Rangers.   But these days, and under Pedro, its about way more than wishing and way more than sometimes doing ok or better.   And imo he hasn't really grasped enough of that and done something positive about it often enough in the time Pedro has been manager.

5 hours ago, Perth_Campsie_Ger said:

Mebey he knew he was for the off a lot sooner than we realised

Contemplated that one before. Youd hope the CEO wouldn't be daft enough to not get him on as long a contract as possible. He may be hit or miss but he's be worth 1.5m with a couple of years on a contract. 

If he goes, we MUST slap a 25% sell on fee on him. You can bet your life he goes and does a will Hughes, plays bang average living on the hype of his potential and gets a decent money move to the prem at somewhere like palace or Watford.

I for one would like to see how he does in the next couple of months especially in Europe, to add a few million dembele dollars to his price tag. I'm 50/50 on selling him as he's probably the most gifted Scottish player we have, but we can't have slackers and liabilities.

4 hours ago, Rfc52 said:

TBH this banishing players to the 20's seems a risky game to play imo.

unless they are causing disharmony amongst the squad then imo they should remain with the team

Got to agree with this. For one it diminishes players value and once again we will end up paying players off and losing them for buttons. 

Anyone doubting that should think what we'd have got if we'd sold tav, waghorn, mckay, hallliday, forrester and kiernan after  the championship season. 

Now we will probably get 3 million at best and some of that will be used to pay off the others contracts. 

This is ridiculous. The kid has had ONE season in the top flight, of course he is going to be fucking inconsistent! Give him a couple of years to gain experience before expecting the consistency. If he has a couple of good seasons which he will imo as he develops then we will be looking at £5M+. It was his first season in the top flight and he was surrounded by utter shite. He clearly showed he has character when he came on against Partick as one example. I know we want results now but punting McKay is nothing but a mistake. We should be giving him decent (not ridiculous) terms and tying him down for 4 or 5 years.

5 minutes ago, RDB14 said:

This is ridiculous. The kid has had ONE season in the top flight, of course he is going to be fucking inconsistent! Give him a couple of years to gain experience before expecting the consistency. If he has a couple of good seasons which he will imo as he develops then we will be looking at £5M+. It was his first season in the top flight and he was surrounded by utter shite. He clearly showed he has character when he came on against Partick as one example. I know we want results now but punting McKay is nothing but a mistake. We should be giving him decent (not ridiculous) terms and tying him down for 4 or 5 years.

How do you know we're not offering him a massive wage increase? 

Just now, RDFM said:

I like Barrie and think he's better in the middle of the park as opposed to the wings, but, I'd rather have McLean there so no issues from me if he leaves (price pending).

When he play's on the wing he comes inside every time anyway!

20 minutes ago, stewaj3 said:

Got to agree with this. For one it diminishes players value and once again we will end up paying players off and losing them for buttons. 

Anyone doubting that should think what we'd have got if we'd sold tav, waghorn, mckay, hallliday, forrester and kiernan after  the championship season. 

Now we will probably get 3 million at best and some of that will be used to pay off the others contracts. 

Fuck me some of our fans are thick as shite.

Maybe he is just too lightweight for Pedro's vision... 

Barrie gets knocked off the ball to easy (although he wasn't the only one last year, Halliday for example). 

Some of our new signings look like they won't be bullied too easy, which is the type of player I presumed Pedro was looking for in general. 

5 minutes ago, wullyRFC said:

Fuck me some of our fans are thick as shite.

I fail to see anything I've said that makes me 'thick as fuck' please enlighten me with your fountain of knowledge which no doubt you obtained at a prestigious university. 

In fact its a wonder your even on here and something like this isn't beneath your infinite wisdom. 

Walloper

Probably doesn't matter if Pedro rates him or not. If Mackay has an offer on the table but is refusing to sign it then the options are clear: let him run down his last year and leave for nothing or 'encourage' him away now and get a fee and possible future sell on % too.

I'd imagine the latter is where we're at just now and it's being made clear to him it's a wasted year if he stays as he'll be excluded.

Given he's in the last 12 months, I'd reckon around a million would be decent for him as long as we secure that decent sell on value too. Demand more and he'll sign a pre contract elsewhere in Jan.

It's a hard one for Pedro as Mackey holds the cards. If the situation is as I suspect, and he's been tapped up by Warburton (or even the bheasts) then this is the best way to resolve it in our favour.

I'd certainly not be in favour of him being a 1st team pick if his heart is in leaving.

9 minutes ago, stewaj3 said:

I fail to see anything I've said that makes me 'thick as fuck' please enlighten me with your fountain of knowledge which no doubt you obtained at a prestigious university. 

In fact its a wonder your even on here and something like this isn't beneath your infinite wisdom. 

Walloper

3 million for Mckay :lol: and that's without you giving us your estimations of the players you mentioned after that pish we produced in the last 6 months of the Championship season. As I said, thick as shite.