Bates

15 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

I think he is shite, I don't actually think he was particularly shite last night. He was just, well, himself.

More specifically...

He jumps lower than his standing position.

He rarely loses any aerial duel he is involved in...so no matter how low you think he jumps he wins his headers

He has no physicality about him.

Not seen him knocked off the ball so 6'4" but needs a bit of bulk but that will come with age

He appears lethargic in his general style.

general style surely doesn't matter? It's been effective

He gets pulled out if position very easily

Needs an older head next to him

He got caught napping and cost a chance against us. Jack bawled him out.

So one mistake?...yeah he got balled out

Simple passes he always plays behind a player's position.

Worst passer of a ball i have ever seen....absolutely should not be allowed to bypass the first player he sees.

He exudes worry not authority.

He is what ? 18-19 ? playing in front of fans baying for blood....so yeah probably right but still defends well

His long ball distribution is rank. Last night again to the opposition, perhaps an improvement from last season when it was directly out the park.

yup terrible

That's it mostly.

Every-time i watch him i cringe but he doesn't fuck up - so it's perception that's the issue which isn't his fault - he wins headers, makes tackles, he's pretty quick.....he just looks like Bambi on ice and passes like Bambi with a broken leg...but defensively the above isn't true IMO.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Positionally he got caught out a few times in the 2nd half but some of the criticism towards him is ridiculous. Some of it seems to go beyond football with the level of insults directed towards him. I don't know what he's done to deserve it but to talk about one of our own in such harsh terms goes beyond the pale.

Spiderpig.

I defy you to watch the game again, tell me he rarely loses aerial duels and wins his headers. 

You're absolutely wrong.

He's normally a couple of feet from the forward and doesnt jump but extends his neck whilst still in a standing position.

It's really poor when you watch it.

And he is 21 in October.

1 minute ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Spiderpig.

I defy you to watch the game again, tell me he rarely loses aerial duels and wins his headers. 

You're absolutely wrong.

He's normally a couple of feet from the forward and doesnt jump but extends his neck whilst still in a standing position.

It's really poor when you watch it.

And he is 21 in October.

i'm with you that he isn't good enough just don't think he has been as horrific as is made out - i think he got lucky that McCrrorie was on loan last year as he would have got a chance ahead of Bates. I felt last year he was in the team purely because he wins headers. i can see a back 3 being utilised when Wilson is back.

I think he's OK in the tackle, average in the air but poor positionally. Not a lost cause but never a starter.

My main concern last night was his positioning seemed to limit Jack's contribution in the second half. Jack appeared to be scared to move more than 5-10 metres ahead of him.

36 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

I think he is shite, I don't actually think he was particularly shite last night. He was just, well, himself.

More specifically...

He gets pulled out if position very easily.

His long ball distribution is rank. Last night again to the opposition, perhaps an improvement from last season when it was directly out the park.

That's it mostly.

:lol: nae bother. Even if he has nothing else going for him (which I don't agree with) he is a big strong defensive unit. 

Just now, Spiderpig said:

i'm with you that he isn't good enough just don't think he has been as horrific as is made out - i think he got lucky that McCrrorie was on loan last year as he would have got a chance ahead of Bates. I felt last year he was in the team purely because he wins headers. i can see a back 3 being utilised when Wilson is back.

He's not horrific in a Waghorn worse-than-man-down type way.

He's just not good, isn't and won't be Rangers class, and folk don't like admitting it as you apparently can't criticise youth (he's nearly 21).

Don't know much about mccrorie but A Wilson showed an assuredness and display against the sheep that Bates has lacked in his run of games.

4 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

:lol: nae bother. Even if he has nothing else going for him (which I don't agree with) he is a big strong defensive unit. 

Not seen him dominate a forward yet tbh. Not seen a CF scrape himself off the ground after an aerial challenge. Seen one tackle in one game out of what 8 now where he took ball, player and kitchen sink. Not seen him power through and win a ball in opposition box.

Suppose for some his 6'4 gangliness is a "unit" though.

1 minute ago, kelvd1873 said:

Ffs he's only 19 or something, how many of us on here were good enough to play for Rangers at 19? Give youth a chance and then slaughter them. I thought he did what he had to do, no nonesense and didn't shy away??

Not sure I've mentioned it but he's 21 in October.

When do youths become men in a footballing sense?

I'd imagine less than 1% on here were ever good enough to play for Rangers regardless of age. Moot point.

12 hours ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

He gets pulled out if position very easily.

He is shite.

This in a nutshell. The guy looks like a big diddy who was last pick for the local BBrigade team.

I think he shows potential. I feel more comfortable with him than Kiernan for example. This will be an important season for him - if he's sensible he will soak up as much knowledge as possible from Alves and others next to him. He wont play every week but hopefully will improve and kick on.