Pena

cushynumber

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Won't judge until he's played a game or two. Sure we shouldn't have spent that much money on someone who isn't fit, and wouldn't hit the ground running, but we did. Nothing we can do but get him fit and see if he is any good.

What is obvious is it must be in Pedro's interest to get him in ASAP. You don't spunk the biggest chunk of your budget and not play that player without looking bad to your superiors, without good reason, whilst claiming to feel more secure in your job than ever.

I don't buy into the theory Pena is unfit.  He certainly doesn't look any different physically than he did when playing in Mexico judging by the clips of him on Youtube.   He is a stockily built player but he doesn't look overweight when you see him on the pitch or track-side.  He has had a couple of months to get fitter if he had a lay-off although he apparently played 42 games in Mexico last season.  He needs games and I would play him before I'd play Windass.

Maybe not ready yet. He's never played in Europe and moving from Mexico to Scotland is a fairly big change for anyone.

look at Mhikityrian at man utd last season Mourinho didn't think he was ready so he never kicked a ball in the first team til October.

he'll come good

43 minutes ago, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

Maybe not ready yet. He's never played in Europe and moving from Mexico to Scotland is a fairly big change for anyone.

look at Mhikityrian at man utd last season Mourinho didn't think he was ready so he never kicked a ball in the first team til October.

he'll come good

That's from Germany to England, I don't see how that's comparable.

Someone posted this on the Rangers Rumours earlier:

"Expect to see Pena in action with the next 2-3 fixtures, he is near full fitness but Pedro is more concerned about match fitness as he doesn't want him to get injured and be left on the sidelines as he is obviously a long way from home. 

Expect big things from him if he reaches the potential he showed couple of years back."

I do expect to see big things of course from Peña, he looks a quality player and excited as I say to see him playing for Rangers. If he is 2 to 3 fixtures away that's around about the Partick Thistle games, would you risk him for the Old Firm match? Not sure about that, depends how he impresses early on, but it looks like we're going to be seeing him very soon. 

I'd personally like to see him get some game time against Dundee. 

6 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

That's from Germany to England, I don't see how that's comparable.

It's just that some players aren't necessarily always ready to fit in straight away to a team. 

And a delayed start although frustrating may be a long term benefit for the player

According to the manager in an article on the Club website today "Carlos is working hard so is Herrera. I know them very very well and I know that they are going to help us as a team and, of course, as individual players they are going to do very good in Scottish football. “We just need to know the exact moment to release them and give them the chance to do it. But they are really working hard and I think that they are at the same level as the others at the moment.

There we have it Pena and Herrera are at the same level as everyone else (whatever that means) and its just a case of deciding the exact moment to 'release' them into the full backwater furnace of Scottish football.    Wonder what influences or circumstances will need to exist that cause the manager to conclude that the right time has arrived to play Pena.    

He's also nailing his managerial colours to the mast by declaring that both Pena and Hererra are 'going to do very good in Scottish football'.     A sort of Portuguese 'trust me gov, I know what I'm selling you' sort of statement.    No additional pressure on Pena and Hererra to deliver the goods to justify the manager's confidence in them.

One day we'll find they are declared ready to play and we can all then start to see if the confidence in them is justified.   Don't know when that day will be but presumably sometime soon otherwise the 'moment' in this league campaign will have passed, if its not already passed. 

Archived