Bates

MrMckee

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think Bates is a good solid player who will be 1 of our first choice CB in the years to come, he isn't fancy and just does what he needs to do and knows his limitations. Not the most mobile so would need partnered with a more agile and faster CB.

Would play him before Alves any day of the week.

Tomata, don't want to get into a debate  about McRorie's best position right now but feel that Bates is worthy of an improved contract.  Yes, at times he looks like Bambi on ice but he hasn,t let the team down so far.  A future pairing of McRorie and Bates in defence isn't too shabby. but McRorie has been impressive in the defensive midfield role as well.

29 minutes ago, Grundy said:

Tomata, don't want to get into a debate  about McRorie's best position right now but feel that Bates is worthy of an improved contract.  Yes, at times he looks like Bambi on ice but he hasn,t let the team down so far.  A future pairing of McRorie and Bates in defence isn't too shabby. but McRorie has been impressive in the defensive midfield role as well.

905427CC-2151-4C3F-BD39-12D61D01F8AA.gif

32 minutes ago, Grundy said:

So do I mate since we don’t know anything about the figures i’ll just say that, I want David Bates to sign a new deal.

the clubs made an offer apparently so big man , get it signed!!

Didn't think much of Bates a while back but he's definitely changed that opinion, seems to be smarter and a hell of a lot more confident/competent than his senior CBs, imo.

With the way they're progressing I'd love to see a future partnership at the back of Bates and McCrorie. The former being the no-nonsense defender that takes care of anything slipping through, McCrorie (the future captain) the one to pick out passes from the back and having the balls/smarts to drift forward a little and take out anyone looming. Like Weir & Bougherra, or whatever. 

3 hours ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

I'll leave you guys to this wankfest.

Good call. The rest of us just got spidermaned...

1 hour ago, StrzBlue said:

Bates for me is the bedrock of our defence. His power , positioning , and tackling plays on the mind of all opponents. His sheer size intimidates . The boy can head a ball too. Give him a decent contract??

Enjoy that, mate? Think you got a wee bit carried away when you started thinking about his size tbh.

6 minutes ago, MrMeeseeks said:

Didn't think much of Bates a while back but he's definitely changed that opinion, seems to be smarter and a hell of a lot more confident/competent than his senior CBs, imo.

With the way they're progressing I'd love to see a future partnership at the back of Bates and McCrorie. The former being the no-nonsense defender that takes care of anything slipping through, McCrorie (the future captain) the one to pick out passes from the back and having the balls/smarts to drift forward a little and take out anyone looming. Like Weir & Bougherra, or whatever. 

For me I’ve only really taken him seriously since the tarrier game at their midden an he’s definetly looking a better player now, like a lot of players in the team atm he’s getting better game by game, results an confidence obviously take your game up a notch but technically they seem to be improving themselves as players can’t wait till wee McCrorie is back aswell 

3 hours ago, gruggs said:

For me he needs to improve his heading clearances..watch the game back and he kept putting his clearance headers from inside the box into the centre of the D. Worst place to clear the ball. Just asking for a late arriving midfielder (next week) to get on the end of it. 

That's what I was thinking during the game. I was very surprised when Weir said one of Bates' headed clearances was great, when it was straight out to the edge of the D. 

1 minute ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

There's 3 Old Firm games to go.  Let's see how the CBs get on during those matches first. 

One game at a time, I believe that is what is being drilled into the squad, admittedly we did not put our best showing on display today, but I believe that using that ethos and so on we are showing overall the type of team we need and want to be.

Certainly not been his biggest fan but he have certainly shown evidence that's he's getting better and could be one for the future. He's worth another contract for the next couple of years to see how he continues to mature as a center half. For Rangers moving forward I firmly believe that we need two new strapping center half's that take full command and put their bodies on the line with every tackle / header. The central defense might actually be our weakest part of the team at the moment and not overall convinced with Martin or Alves.

Biggest part of the season is now the next 4/5 weeks this will show our team character and its a chance for the players to prove their worth for next season.

11 hours ago, gsa said:

Our defence is awful and he's been the constant in it. It's actually incredulous that people think he's a player. And even more incredulous that people think it's okay he can't pass or control a football. 

Incredulous is an adjective. 

If I’m Bates I’m looking around and seeing Alves, Martin and Cardoso - and I’m performing better than them. Why should I be paid a couple of grand a week when I’m keeping them out the team and they’re all on significantly more? 

Added to Krancjar, Pena, Miller, Herrera, Rossiter, MOH who all contribute heehaw and no doubt are significantly better paid. 

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

If I’m Bates I’m looking around and seeing Alves, Martin and Cardoso - and I’m performing better than them. Why should I be paid a couple of grand a week when I’m keeping them out the team and they’re all on significantly more? 

Added to Krancjar, Pena, Miller, Herrera, Rossiter, MOH who all contribute heehaw and no doubt are significantly better paid. 

Because these guys have already carved a career and reputation out maybe? Done something in the game to the point we signed them on the deals they’ve got?

Imo bates wouldn’t be in the team barring injuries an poor performances from the guys you mention, Is he the answer long term? I dunno I’m only judging him on from dec till now, an that’s far too early to make my mind up on wether we should make him a first choice cb an reward him with a bumper new contract, we are supposed to be more prudent with our money now compared to us under Pedro 

id like him to stay but not if he’s being too greedy,(maybe he is, maybe he isn’t) I don’t think he’s that good right now, that we would struggle to replace him if he went 

13 hours ago, StrzBlue said:

Bates for me is the bedrock of our defence. His power , positioning , and tackling plays on the mind of all opponents. His sheer size intimidates . The boy can head a ball too. Give him a decent contract??

No danger :lol:

13 hours ago, gsa said:

This sums up the moronic element of our support. It's actually funny.

David Bates is "miles ahead" of Bruno Alves. 

Good Lord.

Bruno Alves was possibly a decent player a few seasons back . It's plain to see his legs have gone and he cannot cope with the style of football in the spl. At this moment I would have Bates before Alves every time. He is getting better with ball at feet and is far quicker than Alves.

14 hours ago, gsa said:

Our defence is awful and he's been the constant in it. It's actually incredulous that people think he's a player. And even more incredulous that people think it's okay he can't pass or control a football. 

Did you just learn this word? You know you’re not using it properly though? 

53 minutes ago, bordersbear said:

Bruno Alves was possibly a decent player a few seasons back . It's plain to see his legs have gone and he cannot cope with the style of football in the spl. At this moment I would have Bates before Alves every time. He is getting better with ball at feet and is far quicker than Alves.

He won the European Championship less than two years ago...