Rangers should look no further than Graeme Murty - The Rangers Observer

Lloyd

Normally we get a manager in and we are stuck with him unless he’s fired and paid off at our expense all round  

we are kinda in a unique situation where we have a “trialist” as a manager  - with MA seeking the talent and Jimmy Nic lending some experience you would think

he’d of made the fucking changes when they had a man sent off :anger:

I’ll get absolute pelters for this because I know what people think of him, but I’m in the minority of people who thinks Steve McClaren would actually do a decent job for us. There will always be grumbling about any manager we are linked with but I got why there was so much negative backlash against it when he was linked in November.

I think he could take what Murty has started in terms of our more attacking style of play and build on it because he’s a far more experienced manager than Murty is, plus it’s always been said that he’s very good coach on the training ground too. If he’s left to that while Allen works on the other stuff in the background, I think it could work.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he was linked again this Summer, although I still think Murty will ultimately get the job.

I wouldn’t be up in arms if Murty got the job next year, but it depends on how the rest of the season pans out.

I do hope however, that the board invite applications and look to appoint the best candidate come May/June, of which Murty could well be one.

Regarding the actual article, I can agree with it to an extent, but the fact is Murty has to show further improvement and most notably for me that’s regarding substitutions. He does that then I could back a Murty appointment, as at some point we’ve got to give a manger the chance to develop a squad and the signs are we’re going in the right direction.

5 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

No Scottish cup, no Murty 

If Murty had got the job at the start of last season, been given a budget somewhere in the region of 3 times that of the beggars, and had 4 transfer windows to build his own team then we would all be demanding he must win, but the reality is very different and IMO it's bonkers demanding he must knock them out the cup or be sacked. We'd be going through a new manager every 3 months going by this logic.

The mere fact that most of us went into the game last Sunday confident that we could beat them demonstrates how well Murty has done in a very short period of time. As frustrating as the result was, looking back we weren't outclassed and if Morelos had his shooting boots on there's every chance we would have won. 

For me the sensible thing to do is assess the situation at the end of the season.

39 minutes ago, Real Ranger said:

If Murty had got the job at the start of last season, been given a budget somewhere in the region of 3 times that of the beggars, and had 4 transfer windows to build his own team then we would all be demanding he must win, but the reality is very different and IMO it's bonkers demanding he must knock them out the cup or be sacked. We'd be going through a new manager every 3 months going by this logic.

The mere fact that most of us went into the game last Sunday confident that we could beat them demonstrates how well Murty has done in a very short period of time. As frustrating as the result was, looking back we weren't outclassed and if Morelos had his shooting boots on there's every chance we would have won. 

For me the sensible thing to do is assess the situation at the end of the season.

You are correct he has made us better but the amount of points dropped and his lack of urgency in changing a game is our downfall it's OK saying he's learning but for our club to get back to top spot we can't be throwing away stupid games for me we need a new manager don't know who but someone with more experience this is all king and the boards doing 

1 hour ago, Real Ranger said:

Well how about we stop appointing shit managers then? Just a thought.

14 hours ago, eskbankloyal said:

I was told a while back that there was no chance Murty will get the gig full time. That being said, I don’t see any other obvious alternatives. 

Yeah same.

It will all depend on who and what is available I guess.

We need better than Murty though, that is for sure.

31 minutes ago, dougie76 said:

Well how about we stop appointing shit managers then? Just a thought.

Based on his short time in charge I don't believe it's fair to say Murty is a shit manager. 

Before he had an opportunity to bring in his own players he inhereted a shit team devoid of confidence and one that had failed to win 3 games in a row under the previous manager.

Without doubt there were a few piss poor performances but he also managed to beat Aberdeen home and away, Hearts and Hibs away and got a draw away to celtic, he also had to contend with injuries to key players in this period.

Since the transfer window there have been two dissapointing results, one being at home to Hibs and again on Sunday, the biggest frustration about both games is we managed to put ourselves in a great position to win them. 

Apart from that we have generally been playing free flowing  entertaining football with plenty of goals scored. 

If Murty secures second spot then for me he deserves more time and the chance to further strengthen the squad. 

Murty is the best candidate atm because we are doing it on the cheap and that’s why he will be here next season irrespective if we lose at Hampden and parkhead.

We are crying out for a good experienced manager that will push us forward and we will need to spend money on him if we have any which I don’t really think we have.

Murty will probably get us second again and may land a cup or at least a final and I suppose that’s progress but it smacks of a small time club like Hibs etc.

We are currently seven points better off right now than we where this time last season and it’s up for discussion whether that’s because we have improved or the Tarriers aren’t as consistent as they where last season.

6 minutes ago, Real Ranger said:

Based on his short time in charge I don't believe it's fair to say Murty is a shit manager. 

Before he had an opportunity to bring in his own players he inhereted a shit team devoid of confidence and one that had failed to win 3 games in a row under the previous manager.

Without doubt there were a few piss poor performances but he also managed to beat Aberdeen home and away, Hearts and Hibs away and got a draw away to celtic, he also had to contend with injuries to key players in this period.

Since the transfer window there have been two dissapointing results, one being at home to Hibs and again on Sunday, the biggest frustration about both games is we managed to put ourselves in a great position to win them. 

Apart from that we have generally been playing free flowing  entertaining football with plenty of goals scored. 

If Murty secures second spot then for me he deserves more time and the chance to further strengthen the squad. 

I hear you and it would be great if he was up for it but he is a youth team coach that is out of his depth.

At the beginning of the season we figured we were in a battle for second. If we had stuck with the Portuguese burro we would have been in a battle for 4th with that snake oil bastard! The board did something that had to be done all things considered. Forget about Sunday (I know it’s fucking hard), but we are now in control of second place. Let’s wait until the end of the season for the decision on Murty. But win the fucking cup!!  

1 minute ago, eskbankloyal said:

Think people forget we shelled out the best part of £10m in the summer, more than the rest of Scotland combined. The problem was we got next to no value from it, Morelos & Candeias aside. 

We've already got Murphy & Cummings secured for next season on permanent deals & it looks like McArthur is on his way as well - although that's not 100%. 

I'd expect us to spend around the same this summer as we did last, probably more if Morelos goes. This time we actually need to see a return on it. 

Is Cummings definitely done mate?

36 minutes ago, dougie76 said:

I hear you and it would be great if he was up for it but he is a youth team coach that is out of his depth.

So with a few players brought in on loan we've played 11 games, won 9 lost 2 , scoring 33 goals in the process, impressive stats for a youth team coach who is supposedly out of his depth. 

If an established manager such as Walter Smith had came in and achieved the same results with that team I doubt he would have recieved  anywhere near the amount of criticism Murty has. 

3 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

Think people forget we shelled out the best part of £10m in the summer, more than the rest of Scotland combined. The problem was we got next to no value from it, Morelos & Candeias aside. 

We've already got Murphy & Cummings secured for next season on permanent deals & it looks like McArthur is on his way as well - although that's not 100%. 

I'd expect us to spend around the same this summer as we did last, probably more if Morelos goes. This time we actually need to see a return on it. 

Yes, I like that

30 minutes ago, Real Ranger said:

So with a few players brought in on loan we've played 11 games, won 9 lost 2 , scoring 33 goals in the process, impressive stats for a youth team coach who is supposedly out of his depth. 

If an established manager such as Walter Smith had came in and achieved the same results with that team I doubt he would have recieved  anywhere near the amount of criticism Murty has. 

We don't have time to let a youth coach find out if he is good enough, yes give him to the end of the season but after that we need a manager.

The board will get what it pays - and by extension so will we - if the board retains Murty for next season / future seasons.     In my view if they stick with a strategy of giving a learner manager enough time to acquire the experience and nous needed to create a title winning side then the board is really saying the Club is in the business for the foreseeable seasons of competing to be the best of the rest.  It's as simple as that in my view.  They (the board) would be conditioning us to accept willingly (for some) or reluctantly (for most) that it will take many seasons to assemble a squad good enough to win the title under a manager who has been given a generous amount of time to move from rookie manager to become a seasoned manager and then (and only if it is in his locker to do so) become a winning manager.   That's quite a journey the board would be prepared to take us on.    Its the investment in time they'd be prepared to take on our behalf in order to find title 55 being won.

Whether the vast majority of the Support would be prepared to accept that patient waiting game, and a process where lessons eventually do become learnt, is another matter.   Lessons like the game on Sunday and as Murty himself admitted - there were too many basic errors on the pitch even after all the pre-match coaching, all the talking, all the preparation.  Lessons as a manager in deciding what to do and how to do it during games to effect changes that result in games being won and not thrown away.    Under Murty there would, I think, be a long way to go.  And many more disappointing games to endure while he gets enough under his belt to start delivering managerial nous and leadership that gets games like Sundays won.

If the board genuinely thinks come summer that there is no materially better managerial candidate they could attract (that'd be the first hurdle) and afford (just about as big a hurdle as the first one) then we'll be left with Murty.  By 'better' I mean managers who are not juniors or learners but who have the experience and know-how to get a Rangers side into proper title winning mode in quick order.   If they genuinely think there are no candidates materially better qualified and more skilled than Murty then its Murty in post for next season and maybe the seasons beyond and it'll be a board which is really saying that it is prepared to wait for Murty to get to the right managerial level to produce a title winning side.    They'd be tacitly recognising that while Murty might get something useful out of his playing squad and they become competitive enough as part of a chasing pack its not the same as a suitably experienced, skilled  manager with the 'nous' to take that same squad to one of title winners.   

Is Murty capable of producing a title winning side in (say) the next 2 seasons?   That, imo, is the question the board needs to answer in summer.   

If they think he is then good luck to them because its a straight trade-off between giving him time to reach a position where he might deliver a title versus finding the money to get an experienced manager in who has the skillsets needed to deliver a title more quickly.     But then finding that quality of manager and affording him is a fundamental constraint. So fundamental that I don't believe the board could afford to appoint anybody other than Murty and just cross their fingers that maybe, just maybe, he'll come good in a timescale that they, and we, could accept.   It's a gamble if they persist with Murty because if they do then title 55 could be a long way off. 

53 minutes ago, dougie76 said:

We don't have time to let a youth coach find out if he is good enough, yes give him to the end of the season but after that we need a manager.

It's not as simple as bringing in an experienced manager and success is guaranteed.

Le Guen was considered good enough when he arrived  at Ibrox having won 3 consecutive French titles yet he looked completely out of his depth.

As for Murty, people should look beyond his inexperience and take into consideration the team he inherited and what should be a realistic target for him or indeed any manager no matter how experienced.

On paper, securing second place should be a realistic target, whilst knocking the scum out of the Scottish cup would be a huge bonus his future shouldn't depend on winning that game. 

1 hour ago, eskbankloyal said:

Two quality centre backs have to be number one priority. 

2 hours ago, Real Ranger said:

It's not as simple as bringing in an experienced manager and success is guaranteed.

Le Guen was considered good enough when he arrived  at Ibrox having won 3 consecutive French titles yet he looked completely out of his depth.

As for Murty, people should look beyond his inexperience and take into consideration the team he inherited and what should be a realistic target for him or indeed any manager no matter how experienced.

On paper, securing second place should be a realistic target, whilst knocking the scum out of the Scottish cup would be a huge bonus his future shouldn't depend on winning that game. 

You sound like a glass half empty sort of guy.  Bringing in a more experienced manager might not guarantee success but it'll certainly give us a better shot at it.  Paul Le Guen was 12 years ago and just because it didn't work out with him doesn't mean it can never work.  You're telling us second place is a realistic target and any success in the cups would just be a bonus.  It sounds like you're accepting mediocrity and we're becoming a team like Aberdeen, Hibs, or Hearts.  If celtic do win another treble you'll be happy with that?  Is second place and a cup viewed simply as a bonus acceptable?  No, our support will go in to meltdown.

I've seen clubs perform poorly, change manager, and become a force again.  Just because we've gotten in wrong in recent years doesn't mean we should just give up and stop trying.  Having a youth coach in the dugout isn't as good as it gets for us and to accept that going in to next season is asking for failure.  We need to appoint a proper manager with years of experience and a proven track record and let's hope this time we get it right.