Board On Their Knees Begging Walter To Return

I read a quote from Walter last week that he would only have considered coming out of retirement for the Scotland job, but nothing else.

He will know better than anyone that he would need better players and they cost money, money that he will see is in short supply at the moment. He would not want to ruin his great reputation either coming back to work with King and who can blame him.

That along with the fact he has turned 70 recently should IMO be the end of the fantasy that he will come back to Rangers, and to be honest I think we need to look to the future with appointing a new manager. 

2 hours ago, Bears r us said:

I read a quote from Walter last week that he would only have considered coming out of retirement for the Scotland job, but nothing else.

He will know better than anyone that he would need better players and they cost money, money that he will see is in short supply at the moment. He would not want to ruin his great reputation either coming back to work with King and who can blame him.

That along with the fact he has turned 70 recently should IMO be the end of the fantasy that he will come back to Rangers, and to be honest I think we need to look to the future with appointing a new manager. 

There is always going to be fans calling for walter smith to come back and a belief he is the only man that can stop them.

But the great man is 70 now and doesn't need or IMO want the pressure that comes with being Rangers manager at this point. He has given more than enough to our club.

I also can't see Walter wanting to work with this board or under a DOF.

It's time to look to the future and find the next great Rangers manager.

10 hours ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

The club debt reduced from his return in 2007 to his leaving in 2011. 

The Advocaat era was the financial  harem scarem during the Murray years. 

Yes, and he still spent a fortune. A fortune we don’t have today to spend again. 

4 hours ago, Bears r us said:

that is quite damning, if anyone is going to know the true financial status at the club it would be him.

doesnt bode well for any other big named managers as they will have seen this too

mediocrity is here to stay ffs

2 hours ago, BlueKnight87 said:

There is always going to be fans calling for walter smith to come back and a belief he is the only man that can stop them.

But the great man is 70 now and doesn't need or IMO want the pressure that comes with being Rangers manager at this point. He has given more than enough to our club.

I also can't see Walter wanting to work with this board or under a DOF.

It's time to look to the future and find the next great Rangers manager.

That is how I see it. :thumbup:

38 minutes ago, coopscracker said:

that is quite damning, if anyone is going to know the true financial status at the club it would be him.

doesnt bode well for any other big named managers as they will have seen this too

mediocrity is here to stay ffs

It is just my opinion mate, but I also fear getting in a top manager will be difficult but hopefully we are wrong. 

5 hours ago, Bears r us said:

I agree.

The best role for Walter now, imo, is as a non-executive director where, along with other suitably seasoned NEDs and preferably some with strong business and financial experience, the NEDs could maybe do what NEDs are supposed to do and act as a proper check and balance on a board, and in providing good advice borne out of many successful years in football or in business.      Always supposing of course that a Chairman and board directors are prepared to take NEDs seriously that is. 

13 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

I agree.

The best role for Walter now, imo, is as a non-executive director where, along with other suitably seasoned NEDs and preferably some with strong business and financial experience, the NEDs could maybe do what NEDs are supposed to do and act as a proper check and balance on a board, and in providing good advice borne out of many successful years in football or in business.      Always supposing of course that a Chairman and board directors are prepared to take NEDs seriously that is. 

Yes I think he would be better now used in that capacity, but after his last try at it with Green he might not be too keen on some of the present board either. :whistle:

9 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

Yes I think he would be better now used in that capacity, but after his last try at it with Green he might not be too keen on some of the present board either. :whistle:

True.  But there is a big world of a difference from being a Chairman (in a CG's board) to a NED.   A lot less responsibility for a start.  And Walter was never ever even remotely in his wildest and most optimistic dreams a person with sufficient knowledge, skills and nous to be a Chairman.  Never ever.  Why he even let himself be talked into it is a mystery to me.

But as a NED bringing the business of football management nous, know how, experience and so on to a board......well that's a very different matter and a role I think he'd be very ell placed to discharge   

51 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

True.  But there is a big world of a difference from being a Chairman (in a CG's board) to a NED.   A lot less responsibility for a start.  And Walter was never ever even remotely in his wildest and most optimistic dreams a person with sufficient knowledge, skills and nous to be a Chairman.  Never ever.  Why he even let himself be talked into it is a mystery to me.

But as a NED bringing the business of football management nous, know how, experience and so on to a board......well that's a very different matter and a role I think he'd be very ell placed to discharge   

Yes I agree with all that, the NED part would be a good position for him, if he was interested. 

6 hours ago, SK RFC said:

Yes, and he still spent a fortune. A fortune we don’t have today to spend again. 

A fortune eh? 2m for Cuellar nice return there. Weir fuck all. A wee smidgeon of alan Hutton, champions league qualification twice, uefa cup final (bringing with it all time record retail sales that season) - yes, he was giving a lot of support from the board but he provided, in football terms at least, very good value for money. 

And the club debt was reduced in those 4 years. Also, he doesnt need a fortune to challenge imho. That said i dont think for one minute he will return though. 

On 26/03/2018 at 23:19, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Walter probably could give celtic a run for their money even without changing the squad, but fucking hell we need to be looking to the future.

Can we please get back to the days of having a better team with better players than them, playing better football, and beat the cunts that way? 1-2 centre halves and a midfielder of genuine quality and we're not too far off from that.

Spot on. We can’t rely on Walter forever and he’s done enough to earn the right to enjoy his retirement. As others have said what is in effect a part time role managing Scotland is completely different to taking on this mess.

Were not as far off as some would believe but we need to continue with the investment in the playing squad, 2 centre backs would make a massive difference just cutting out some of the soft goals we’ve conceded would make a difference.

The board need to get the next managerial appointment correct, they have done since 2012 yet so far failed every time. First and foremost we need to go back to basics  Scottish football isn’t the highest quality we don’t need all this fancy football and trying to play like Barcelona shite, just a solid team that’s hard to beat, a bit of commitment, hunger and passion from the players and one or two players of quality who can make something happen in the final third and we’ll be able to compete with any team in this league. 

23 hours ago, plumbGER said:

Players warming up wearing those big daft headphones or that pish 'music' you hear from the dressing room.

Don't think Walter and Archie would be too keen on that.

Also given the way our team always talk up an oldfirm fixture 2 weeks before is one of a number of things he wouldn’t put up with. It shows to me as if they see celtic as a scalp like an fa cup tie between Barnet and Man Utd.  It’s just not on, add in to wee poofy windass thinking he has nothing to prove shows everyone how far the clubs standards have fallen.

take the famous KT quote from a few months ago.  Doing alright is not fucking good enough, if that’s a standard Walter set then I’m absolutely astounded why our fans would accept anything less.

7 minutes ago, loyalfollower said:

Also given the way our team always talk up an oldfirm fixture 2 weeks before is one of a number of things he wouldn’t put up with. It shows to me as if they see celtic as a scalp like an fa cup tie between Barnet and Man Utd.  It’s just not on, add in to wee poofy windass thinking he has nothing to prove shows everyone how far the clubs standards have fallen.

take the famous KT quote from a few months ago.  Doing alright is not fucking good enough, if that’s a standard Walter set then I’m absolutely astounded why our fans would accept anything less.

I'm sure Tav is one of those types who have the big headphones in pre-match, he has captained the side recently! A captain should be going round his men ensuring everyone is up to the task ahead.

Now i don't know if he has ditched them since he got made up but it's just something that annoys me, not just with our players, but players in general these days.

21 hours ago, Bears r us said:

correct, one thing Walter isn't is stupid. He knows fine well the finance isn't in place to stop 10IAR and wants no part of it.

So many gifted people on here who know how Walter thinks feels and what he wants. 

Maybe the real reason he hasn’t put his hat in the ring for the job is what he said last week when talking about the Scotland job that he’s been out the game to long...  

awe this he knows this he knows that he doesn’t want this blah blah blah is shite. 

Nobody really knows what he’s thinking. 

16 hours ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

A fortune eh? 2m for Cuellar nice return there. Weir fuck all. A wee smidgeon of alan Hutton, champions league qualification twice, uefa cup final (bringing with it all time record retail sales that season) - yes, he was giving a lot of support from the board but he provided, in football terms at least, very good value for money. 

And the club debt was reduced in those 4 years. Also, he doesnt need a fortune to challenge imho. That said i dont think for one minute he will return though. 

Aye a fortune. As I’ve already said if you read back, im not getting a dig at him. The point I’m making is that he spent money, money that wouldn’t be available tomorrow if he was to come back. So most of your post is pretty irrelevant in terms of reducing debt and the money we made on Hutton etc.