*** The Official Rangers Fc vs UFA Match Thread ***

RFCRobertson

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sure that Stevie G will make sure the players will not be thinking this is going to be easy.

I can understand the optimism by many in this thread and hopefully it will be easier than I am expecting. I would take 2 - 0 now that is for sure, any away goals in these games can be a problem so really hoping we can keep a clean sheet.

There was a Russian guy on the radio earlier who was supposedly an expert on UFA.  He said they're use to travelling given the vast distances in Russia.  He said Rangers are the favourites, UFA know that, and they would happily take any type of result.  He said a 2-1 defeat would be viewed as a good result by UFA because they would have an away goal to take back to Russia.  

UFA on paper are not as strong a team as those we have faced but it would be a huge and embarrassing mistake to get ahead of ourselves and fall at the final hurdle. 

We will need to have a spot on attitude, and do the business against them, preferably with a decent win at home with no away goals. 

I have said before that out of the ties the Maribor one would have been the hardest. I'm not changing my mind on this, Ufa will be ok I guess but I'm taking us to win 3-0.

Don't think I'm being overly confident, if the three in the middle, Jack, Arfield and Coulibally are fit I'm confident of a win at Ibrox then a slender win over in Russia.

The only reason we've beat Shkupi, Osijek and Maribor is because we've gone in with 100% attitude. Let that drop and anything can happen. The only way UFA can a comfortable game is if we keep that level of drive and workrate up for this game. Lower our standards and the playing field levels. 

Is the game defo on Premier sports channel? Sorry. Just saw to answer to other poster asking.

Looking forward to the game, I assume they got fast track visas which I thought would not be possible?

Anyway, looking forward to the game. I think it will be a tight game as they will defend the full game hoping for a 0-0.

I am usually wrong ?

26 minutes ago, Broxi said:

The only reason we've beat Shkupi, Osijek and Maribor is because we've gone in with 100% attitude. Let that drop and anything can happen. The only way UFA can a comfortable game is if we keep that level of drive and workrate up for this game. Lower our standards and the playing field levels. 

I agree. We shouldn't be dropping our attitude and worth ethic going into any game. It's why we've had the success we've had so far despite sending offs, phantom goals etc. We've shown togetherness as a team and organisation that just hasn't been there for years; there's character there. Keep that up and I think this will be a good season, but let the standards drop at any stage and rot starts to set. 

Quick interview from a red top:

"Former Rangers ace Andrei Kanchelskis is very familiar with Ufa, and has predicted that Rangers will head into the group stage, suggesting that there is just a 30% chance of Ufa advancing. 

Kanchelskis thought Ufa were terrible in the two-legged tie against Progres Niederkorn, winning 4-3 on aggregate – and he feels that Ufa will lose heavily if they perform similarly again, just days after losing 3-0 to Dinamo Moscow.

“I would say the chances are 70 per cent in favour of Rangers and only 30 per cent for Ufa,” said Kanchelskis. “I watched Ufa in their match in Luxembourg against Progres and they looked terrible. If they play like that against Rangers, they will lose heavily.”

“Perhaps Ufa were tired, but they also looked naive tactically too. I couldn’t see what style they were attempting to play. In fairness, to Ufa, just getting to this stage in their first season in European football is an achievement in itself,” he added.

Archived