What a wonderful Sunday read about our greatest ever player.

backup

9 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Was he our greatest ever player?

Genuine question because the same is said about 4 or 5 other people 

Without a doubt our greatest ever player, but not greatest ever Ranger, that accolade belongs to  David Ditchburn Meiklejohn.

3 minutes ago, backup said:

Without a doubt our greatest ever player, but not greatest ever Ranger, that accolade belongs to  David Ditchburn Meiklejohn.

Again that's another title that's given to about 4 different people. 

As for Baxter being our greatest ever player I can't really argue because I'm not old enough to have seen him and there's really nowhere near the same amount of footage as the likes of Cooper, Laudrup and Gazza have available. I know a lot of older guys do claim that though 

Was just wondering if he actually was better than the likes of which I have mentioned 

6 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Again that's another title that's given to about 4 different people.

It is given to David Ditchburn Meiklejohn in print, I defy anyone to contradict this after reading of his accomplishments as Rangers captain.

"Davie Meiklejohn had few equals in British football between the wars. According to his admiring contemporaries, he was 'a tactical genius', 'ahead of his time' - 'the greatest ever Ranger'. Fast-tracked by manager William Wilton, the former Maryhill junior was part of a title-winning side in his debut season. There would be many more championships to celebrate for this born leader, though Rangers' failure to lift the Scottish Cup for 25 long years became a music-hall joke - until May, 1928, when Meik led his team to a hoodoo-busting 4-0 rout of arch rivals celtic. In 1931 the tragic on-field death of celtic keeper John Thomson saw Meiklejohn at his dignified, inspirational best. He enjoyed international adventures, a post-playing career in journalism and a twelve-year stint as manager of Partick Thistle - yet at the height of his fame, Meik lived in a modest two-bedroomed flat, no more than 100 yards from Ibrox". 

Too add, it really was a mans game then.

dmeiklejohn.jpg

Just now, backup said:

It is given to David Ditchburn Meiklejohn in print, I defy anyone to contradict this after reading of his accomplishments as Rangers captain.

"Davie Meiklejohn had few equals in British football between the wars. According to his admiring contemporaries, he was 'a tactical genius', 'ahead of his time' - 'the greatest ever Ranger'. Fast-tracked by manager William Wilton, the former Maryhill junior was part of a title-winning side in his debut season. There would be many more championships to celebrate for this born leader, though Rangers' failure to lift the Scottish Cup for 25 long years became a music-hall joke - until May, 1928, when Meik led his team to a hoodoo-busting 4-0 rout of arch rivals celtic. In 1931 the tragic on-field death of celtic keeper John Thomson saw Meiklejohn at his dignified, inspirational best. He enjoyed international adventures, a post-playing career in journalism and a twelve-year stint as manager of Partick Thistle - yet at the height of his fame, Meik lived in a modest two-bedroomed flat, no more than 100 yards from Ibrox". 

dmeiklejohn.jpg

I know who he is, you've managed to completely just ignore what I was actually asking though 

Just now, .Williamson. said:

you've managed to completely just ignore what I was actually asking though

How much clearer do you need it, Slim Jim greatest ever player, DDM greatest ever Ranger, feel free to disagree.

What company to be part of...

The Rest of the World team that day was: Lev Yashin (Soviet Union); Djalma Santos (Brazil); Karl-Heinz Schnellinger (West Germany); Svatopluk Pluskal, Ján Popluhár, Josef Masopust (all Czechoslovakia); Raymond Kopa (France); Denis Law (Scotland); Alfredo Di Stéfano (Spain, formerly Argentina, captain); Eusébio (Portugal) and Francisco Gento (Spain). Five substitutes were announced as second-half replacements: Jim Baxter (Scotland); Milutin Šoškić (Yugoslavia); Uwe Seeler (West Germany); Luis Eyzaguirre (Chile) and Ferenc Puskás (Hungary). 

We’ve had some great players who could be awarded that title for their generation but, in my opinion, Baxter is clear at the top.

He had an arrogance and an aura to match his ability and, at times, appeared to be on a different planet to his teammates and opponents.

This is not to belittle the achievements and abilities of players like Cooper, Laudrup etc. we’ve had some genuine world class players in our time.

3 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Was he our greatest ever player?

Genuine question because the same is said about 4 or 5 other people 

At the time he made a FIFA world eleven alongside Pele.  Who else in their own era would have been accorded a similar accolade?  

14 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

At the time he made a FIFA world eleven alongside Pele.  Who else in their own era would have been accorded a similar accolade?  

Terry Butcher played in a world 11 in 1986 against Argentina .He had just signed for us and scored the only goal .

As for the greatest every player it's all about who you have seen .For me best IV saw play with us was Laudrup .But as guys on here are claiming Baxter as our best when I speak with my son in future years he will have no doubt his own opinion of somebody who I will probably think nowhere near my favourite .Laudrup