Our high press....

beararse

I saw 1 video of a running drill.....do you think we don't do those drills back home?

I genuinely think we are struggling due to players been out of form, our passing has been brutal since we came back, Davis, Kamara,  Kent have been terrible since the break and Tav and Morelos are both struggling since their extra lay off....that is half the outfield players that were playing very effectively up until the break.....it's genuinely frustrating as fuck but I'd rather we didn't have the winter break

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is just down to mentality. We go one up and stop working pass inside our own box, sit 20 yards off the opposition and invite them to attack and hope to play on the break. Unfortunately our arrogance that we can defend is shown time after time to be wrong and that simple straight balls and hopeful crosses catch us out.

Hope someone watches the second half and counts the number of back passes our team made in the first 20 minutes and how many led to pressure on our goal.

2 minutes ago, Ivybank said:

I know a pal of one of the players, and he said and I quote " we were fucked after coming back from Dubai" I just laughed , but I'm beginning to think it's true now

I remember back in the days(before social media)boys I went to the game with used to moan that the players were unfit, it was well known that after training the players enjoyed playing snooker and a punt on the horses,  the wee general changed it where training became more of a full day as reffered to the half shifts that previous squads did, the point I'm making is with all the sports science and collection of data I would be surprised if we ripped it all up to run players into the ground 

6 hours ago, DBBTB said:

The club posted videos on social media of them doing running drills (I cant remember the exact name of the drill) are renowned for being brutal.

Surely one hard week of training doesn't destroy a pro athlete's endurance for the next couple of months. Not buying it.

9 hours ago, GA1972 said:

Still in the Dubai desert after he ran the players into the ground during the winter ‘break’

Yep, exactly the same as last season. We look so slow and lethargic since the break the ‘mini pre season’ in Gerrard words after playing over 30 games in half a season has fucked us. 

Exactly the same as last season and just like his whole managerial career Gerrard has learnt fuck all and had made the same mistake again.

burnt out after the winter break is a load of  shite! You could understand that if we were tiring late in games but we're starting games with the same shitey slow build up and not pressing, players aren't working hard and being outfought in these games from the 1st minute

and last season they got a rest after the dubia trip by missing the first game back...

2 hours ago, Amato said:

Surely one hard week of training doesn't destroy a pro athlete's endurance for the next couple of months. Not buying it.

Managers constantly talk about managing players “loading” and training these days, to the point that it’s almost a fine art.

People might not agree, but I think somebody got something wrong in terms of the planning of what went on over there and it’s one of a number of reasons as to why we have been so poor since we came back.

2 hours ago, Amato said:

I'm not buying it either.

It's once again coming down to mentality within this squad.  We haven't kicked on from a big result again. 

We have to many players who simply can't cope when the pressure is on.   Our play looks nerve ridden with many too afraid to make mistakes.  So they choose side way passing or the simple option. 

10 hours ago, psb07158 said:

The front 3 press like fuck and so does Aribo, but nobody else is backing it up so teams are just passing around them

Defence and rest of the midfield far too deep

It’s because we only press the back line then we drop deep. 

Its the same tactic that most top teams play with tbf. I think the theory behind it is because if you press with too much aggression all it takes is one player out of position and then you get done on the counter. It’s about balance. 

As you say though, the front three press like hell (usually backed up by Arfield too) and last night we did a very good job with it. It’s not a problem for us at all. Weird thread.

10 hours ago, bazza010 said:

Players are burnt oot

There's some truth in this. A freshness is required with tactical developments made during the international break. Maximum points between now and then will only happen if tactics play to the strengths of those on the field e.g play through hagi not punt balls in the box. Charge through the opposition not stop and wait for them to get back and then play side to side

Just now, McEwan's Lager said:

It’s because we only press the back line then we drop deep. 

Its the same tactic that most top teams play with tbf. I think the theory behind it is because if you press with too much aggression all it takes is one player out of position and then you get done on the counter. It’s about balance.

As you say though, the front threw press like hell and last night we did a very good job with it. It’s not a problem for us at all. Weird thread.

When things are going badly at a club like ours, our fans are unbelievably good at nitpicking

Just now, psb07158 said:

When things are going badly at a club like ours, our fans are unbelievably good at nitpicking

It’s frustrating being at games hearing people get on the players backs to press when there is no Rangers player within 10 yards of the player with the ball. It happens all the time after we have cleared our lines and the players are taking a breather to get the defensive shape set.

It happened last night a couple of times. Literally no point in pressing and people are screaming and shouting like maniacs. 

If they're burnt out from goings on in Dubai, I don't know how players coped when they were taken up Gullane Sands for an absolute rooting. 

They must be all highly unfit if this is the case. 

When I was in the army our PT was severely intense daily for 3 hours a day and more if you included the drills as well. There was zero room for weakness. 

8 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Fuck all to do with nitpicking.

We have many problems, lacking in many deparments and systemically dug shite.

When you can't beat dross like Kilmarnock in a must win game, we deserve nothing. Last night we were only fucked for the title after all.

None of it is nit picking!

5 minutes ago, Sweettartangirl said:

If they're burnt out from goings on in Dubai, I don't know how players coped when they were taken up Gullane Sands for an absolute rooting. 

When I was in the army our PT was severely intense daily for 3 hours a day and more if you included the drills as well. There was zero room for weakness. 

Burnt out my arse. If you can't beat dross like killy in a must win, we are simply dug shite. As I said, we only lost our chance at the title. It's gone.

They are well fit, it's just the ability and mentality that's lacking. 

Our players live the good life in luxury. They must be getting tired counting fifty pound notes.

14 minutes ago, Sweettartangirl said:

Changed days.

Gullane worked at the time because of two things. One, because minimal fitness was done at the time by teams. Training largely consisted of a run around the pitch and then drills and games. Players drank a lot and had roast dinners as per match meals. Any teams with a small fitness advantage ran over opponents.

The second is that it was more of a mental test more than anything. Well before my time but if you read a lot of what players say about it the whole thing was a mental exercise. It was Jock Wallace sorting out who had the ability to keep going in a Rangers jersey.

Funnily enough, running sprints up steep hills actually makes you less explosive on flat surfaces. Very small inclines improves you!

40 years of sports science, most top teams do the same stuff now. I’m not totally convinced the winter break or what we do in Dubai has fucked the team. It’s attitude and the inability to be tactically flexible.

1 hour ago, Zappa6995 said:

Last night we were so far off the pace it was a disgrace. Especially 2nd half we gave Killies back line that much time to knock it about I thought we were playing Barca.

Whenever i saw them doing that last night 3 times in a row in the 2nd half was the time i knew they were never going to win last night.

That was absolutely shocking to watch but , imo , that is where a Captain steps up and rattles the cages on the pitch for the Manager and the Team.

9 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I’m not totally convinced the winter break or what we do in Dubai has fucked the team. It’s attitude and the inability to be tactically flexible.

Spot on.

For 4 or 5 matches in a row we've been chasing the game, continually rebuilding attacks and pushing for the full 90. If anything it must be mentally exhausting.

That's all down to teams knowing how to set up against us and our Management asking the players to do the same thing over and over. 

I think the problem with Dubai was we didn't energise the squad, they needed to be pushed and fresh faces to come in. We did it too late and dropped points at Tynecastle. We look burst. I have no doubt that the players look that because they don't even believe that we can grind out these games. They're expecting that sucker punch.

Archived