*****Official Hamilton vs Rangers Thread*****

BridgeIsBlue

Just now, Swally said:

Morelos 20/21

Played 4, scored 2

Roofe 20/21

Started 3, scored 1

I don't think Roofe is doing to badly after the lack of games he's had since December, and the lack of pre-season.

Roofe needs to get match fit and match sharp, and you don't get that by sitting on the bench.

Not impressed by him yet , but should have been off for Morelos around 60 mins........

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DBBTB said:

You can get away with not scoring many goals when you are as good defensively as we are.

Defence has been excellent so far but there are far tougher tests to come this season. It's very early days. I am concerned at the lack of fire power and cohesion in final third. Middle to front i don't think we are clinical enough. Just an opinion. We don't look like a team who want to go out and batter teams 4, 5, 6 nil, it's almost apologetic victories, just doing enough. That will always come back to bite us on the bum i believe. We need to be ruthless. 

Some positives and some negatives

+ Amazing defensive record

+ Kent looking like the £7m player we bought

+ Another 3 points

- We totally lack a killer instinct
- We somehow made Hamilton look dangerous when they went down to 10 men

Some observations:

Roofe is getting grief, but I don’t think folk appreciate his movement, strength and layoffs. He obviously tired near the end.

The management team better start getting us performing in both halfs of a match, otherwise we’ll be disappointed come the end of the season.

Just now, sassaaaa said:

Not impressed by him yet , but should have been off for Morelos around 60 mins........

At least we won mate

I'm more concerned about our lack of urgency after scoring the second goal, we have to keep pushing on with the same intensity until the game's out of sight.

13 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

It's mental.

Yes we all want a four or five nil win but yet again we've dominated a match from start to finish and never looked in danger even once of conceding never mind dropping points.

Kent and Jack the standouts.

Match threads are getting ridiculous now ,

used to be a nightmare when we were losing (rightly so)

used to be a nightmare when we were drawing (probably correct)

but when your winning and folk are still needing suicide watch ,that’s a step too far 

2 minutes ago, MorelosRangers said:

Not conceding goals may help us just get there.

The last 2 titles we have thrown away have not been because our defence has been so bad. Defensively we have been sound. The lack of goals when we needed them has cost us. Hampden v Aberdeen. Hampden v celtic. Tynecastle twice. Ibrox v Hamilton.  Livi away. Killie away. Etc etc. Not being able to score enough goals has cost us far more than what's happening at the back. The last few seasons has been the most comfortable i have been with a Rangers backline in a decade. But middle to front worries me. Again, just an opinion. 

5 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I'm not sure I understood the lack of subs especially going into international week.

However, I do think he was making a point with Morelos by not bringing him on.

Ho-hum last 60min but enough to keep me happy for a swally tonight.

Clear signal to Morelos that Gerrard is the boss. To some extent the power was slightly with Morelos before as he was scoring and we had no other options so he was always likely to play. Now we've won two on the trot without him in the side and have other options. He needs to understand what side his bread is buttered and knuckle down. He could easily have replaced Roofe with him at the end but I liked the way he kept him on the bench to be honest. 

I think a full 90 for Roofe is important as he's not had much football in recent months. He did look shattered but it will help him in the long run.  

7 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I'm not sure I understood the lack of subs especially going into international week.

However, I do think he was making a point with Morelos by not bringing him on.

Ho-hum last 60min but enough to keep me happy for a swally tonight.

And if it's 0 - 0 with 20mins to go you can bet you're last 50p he'll put him on to try and save the game.

6 minutes ago, Vision said:

Looked to me as if we we're more concerned about keeping the clean sheet stat intact than anything else.

May come back to bite us in the arse ( ala goal dif ) may not, it did invite unwanted pressure from Hamilton which was concerning.

Fresh legs looked to be what was needed as some of the players seemed to have dropped the pace and we're just going through the motions.

Disappointing second half but 3 points.

I agree about your point regarding clean sheets. It's good but not the most important thing. I'm sure we would all have preferred to have beat livi 2-1 as opposed to getting a clean sheet. Goal difference could prove important so needed to get a few more goals today. 

1 minute ago, Brubear said:

I agree about your point regarding clean sheets. It's good but not the most important thing. I'm sure we would all have preferred to have beat livi 2-1 as opposed to getting a clean sheet. Goal difference could prove important so needed to get a few more goals today. 

Livinston would have needed to come out their own half to get a goal in a 2 1 defeat 

Archived