*****The Official Rangers v Standard Liege Thread*****

G.E.C.

1 minute ago, Capetownbear said:

You don't rate him then? or too soon... and if he does get a game will you still call the manager stupid?

Not a case of not rating him. The little I've seen I don't think he's a bad player, I just don't really see where he fits into our system. The guys quite direct, plays long balls and needs a lot of time on the ball. 

Our play is centred around midfielders who are sharper and play it differently.

If he does start tonight then I'll think it's a stupid decision.

Davis, Arfield, Aribo, Kamara ... whatever 3 from them have done nothing wrong to make way for Zungu to just come in for a start in a massive game for us to qualify. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Win tonight and then you can play the reserves in the final fixture. 

I still wouldn't mate with half a million quid in prize money at stake a chance to top the group and avoid the CL drop out's.

I can't see Benfica losing tonight, but if they do (and we win) then I'm sure that's us winning the group regardless if we get beat 10-0 in last game, so I'd play the reserves in final fixture in that scenario. Kieron Dickson especially. 

1 minute ago, British_Empire said:

deserveNot a case of not rating him. The little I've seen I don't think he's a bad player, I just don't really see where he fits into our system. The guys quite direct, plays long balls and needs a lot of time on the ball. 

Our play is centred around midfielders who are sharper and play it differently.

If he does start tonight then I'll think it's a stupid decision.

Davis, Arfield, Aribo, Kamara ... whatever 3 from them have done nothing wrong to make way for Zungu to just come in for a start in a massive game for us to qualify. 

Fair enough... We can qualify with a game to spare so it is big game for sure but I think squad management also dictates who plays in part whether players deserve a start or not for their recent performances they still need rotated to an extent..

Aribo has been sick so out of your 4 you mentioned I think Davis, Arfield, Kamara is more than enough in the middle to get the job done but I don't think putting Zungu in with Davis to help him along will have a big effect on the outcome... 

But I don't think we are getting players in that won't fit our system, the recruitment deserves praise on that I think... 

12 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

As Helender is out the back 5 picks itself as does the front 3 and the only competition for a start is Arfield or Aribo whereas I think it will be Arfield due to his performances of late and big Aribo had the stomach bug. Whoever gets picked, I’m sure the other will get on as will Zungu. I can also see our forwards getting subbed in the last few mins just for the fresh legs and for game management as we tick down the clock for the 3 points 🙏🙏🙏

Your last sentence assumes we are winning. Which of course we all hope is the case.  If it is a draw we 10 to go, SG has a real decision to make, as a draw puts us through. 

3 minutes ago, Capetownbear said:

Fair enough... We can qualify with a game to spare so it is big game for sure but I think squad management also dictates who plays in part whether players deserve a start or not for their recent performances they still need rotated to an extent..

Aribo has been sick so out of your 4 you mentioned I think Davis, Arfield, Kamara is more than enough in the middle to get the job done but I don't think putting Zungu in with Davis to help him along will have a big effect on the outcome... 

[b[But I don't think we are getting players in that won't fit our system, the recruitment deserves praise on that I think... [/b]

I think it's a good idea to get players in that don't fit the system (to an extent) because it's good to have different options and plan B's

There might be a game or two this season and we come up against a team and we don't have it all our own way and we need something different in there to be a bit more direct and go long or whatever. 

It's a squad game so I'm happy to have him now as a squad option (even if he's not someone I would have signed) but that's all he is IMO is a squad option.

I've got a feeling it will be a bit of a nervy start with only needing a point to qualify. An early goal changes things but we might have to be patient. At some point they will have to throw caution to the wind. The last thing we want is to have to get something next week to get through.

17 minutes ago, Brubear said:

Your last sentence assumes we are winning. Which of course we all hope is the case.  If it is a draw we 10 to go, SG has a real decision to make, as a draw puts us through. 

I thought SL were a good team so I’m taking nothing for granted as they are still clinging on and a cornered animal can be dangerous and we need to approach it right with caution. I hope SG has the team focussed again and we get into the next round preferably with a wee chance to top the group next week.

We just need to play our natural game in tonight. Standard need to chase us to try and get through which will leave plenty of opportunities for us as long as we're patient which we tend to be in Europe. I can see us winning by two or three as long as we're not wasteful in front of goal!

2/3 nil to Rangers.

1 hour ago, Bad Robot said:

As Helender is out the back 5 picks itself as does the front 3 and the only competition for a start is Arfield or Aribo whereas I think it will be Arfield due to his performances of late and big Aribo had the stomach bug. Whoever gets picked, I’m sure the other will get on as will Zungu. I can also see our forwards getting subbed in the last few mins just for the fresh legs and for game management as we tick down the clock for the 3 points 🙏🙏🙏

Far too sensible imo.

25 minutes ago, ShanksRFC said:

McGregor

Tav Goldson Balogun Barisic

Arfield   Davis   Kamara

Roofe   Morelos   Kent

2-0 to the Rangers

Team picks itself almost with Aribo no quite 100% and Jack needing a few more days.

Will likely see Aribo and possibly Zungu off the bench at some point.

Allowing we secure qualification I can see Zungu starting against Lech if he comes through the trip to Dingwall  unscathed and puts in a performance.

7 minutes ago, southcoastbear said:

Team picks itself almost with Aribo no quite 100% and Jack needing a few more days.

Will likely see Aribo and possibly Zungu off the bench at some point.

Allowing we secure qualification I can see Zungu starting against Lech if he comes through the trip to Dingwall  unscathed and puts in a performance.

I would play a similar team to Falkirk against Lech if we qualify tonight. Every other fixture this month becomes more important if we qualify tonight, fingers crossed we can get the job done.

34 minutes ago, ShanksRFC said:

I would play a similar team to Falkirk against Lech if we qualify tonight. Every other fixture this month becomes more important if we qualify tonight, fingers crossed we can get the job done.

That's a fair point and Jack , Zungu and Aribo could all do with game time by then and it's against less agricultural midfields than they would face domestically.

I have absolutely no desire to slack off against Poznan. For all the reasons above as well as I want to win the group. Both for the merit of it as well as a better chance of a good tie in the knockouts. I want us to go as far as we can (we genuinely could go quite far) and a win in Poznan is important to that.

We have enough players to rotate strong teams between midweek and the weekend. Especially if Aribo, Helander, Jack etc are all back

Think about it too for a minute the boost and the additional character that it would give us winning that group. Winning a European group. 

We've never done it before.

If we do win the league this season think of reflecting back at the end of May and adding winning a European group to our memories too. It will make everything a bit sweeter. 

We've a great chance to do it.

I know we fucked it last week with the late goal again, but 2 wins from 2 (assuming Benfica win both their games) it's a great target to be aiming for. 

Can totally see where  your going with that Rangers No 1  but it's more an educated risk with the high volume of games over the festive period essential Kent and Roofe in particular are rested as often as the gaffer can without costing us points on our way to 55.

Shagger

Tav Goldson Helander Bassey

Zungu Jack Aribo

Hagi Itten Morelos 

Cant see us mixing the team up too much tonight, didn't really think anyone played themselves into contention after the Falkirk game either.

What an opportunity tonight, hopefully we embrace it and keep the momentum going strong.

Huge run of games coming up. If we end January how we started December it is shaping up to be one helluva season.

Archived