Back to Reality

.Williamson.

28 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

We were through in Poland, Paisley on a Wednesday night in the pishing rain against a team that will battle like fuck in the quarter final of our best chance yet to win the cup is no place to rotate 

Yeah but when is the next suitable game to give one or two the minutes/ experience they need? There's not domestically or arguably in Europe now. 

I think Gerrard felt there was enough on the bench to deal with it if it wasn't quite going to plan, and that Bassey and Zungu needed exposure to games needing to be won not already safe. He got it wrong because too many starters were below par and he didnt get Bassey off at half time.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, ShanksRFC said:

Think him being out the team in an away game like that shows how valuable he is.

Having him as an option is, be it starting or from the bench. Unfortunately if our players normally suppling chances are all poor - Kent Aribo for weeks, Hagi rarely seen and Roofe anonymous last night - I'm not sure this season's Alfie would have changed much last night. But we'll never know.

10 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Motherwell aside, I don't see a good run of results after last night. 

Simply don't trust Gerrard or the team to overcome this. 

Every time they feel a bit of pressure they absolutely bottle it and the happy clappers telling us this season is different are in for another shock. 

Its genuinely like you've been sitting waiting for the moment to bring out the negativity and compare to last year. Probably waiting so long for the opportunity with such an unbeaten run makes the release even more explosive for you.

Considering they were on a 9 game unbeaten run, that should have indicated to our management they were a not too bad a team. So our strongest available 11 should have been on the pitch at the start, get a few goals up then bring on the secondary players. Definitely not doing it the other way around.

11 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Yeah but when is the next suitable game to give one or two the minutes/ experience they need? There's not domestically or arguably in Europe now. 

I think Gerrard felt there was enough on the bench to deal with it if it wasn't quite going to plan, and that Bassey and Zungu needed exposure to games needing to be won not already safe. He got it wrong because too many starters were below par and he didnt get Bassey off at half time.

Home to Hamilton in the league etc make more sense than away to st Mirren in the best chance yet to win silverware, I felt it’s the first time this season a teams mixed it and were physical against us and we came up short again 

I think this is the start of an inevitable dip, having played twice per week for so long. It's how the team gets through it that matters. Almost every player was poor yesterday and we had no threat down the middle, reverted to passy passy outside their box and tried to walk the ball into the net. No one linked play or took shots. Having run out of steam we need to tweak and bring freshness and pace back into the game. They marked Goldson so he couldn't maje those diagonal balls, tavernier so he couldn't make those crosses abd there was no barisic for most of the game. If they're doubling up, then that leaves space elsewhere,  but we were just slow. I felt like I was watching our post Xmas form all over again. 

4 minutes ago, Bigdave30 said:

The motherwell game should be a good barometer of whether the players are as mentally fragile as some on here believe.

I seriously think it could be a perfectly timed boot up the arse to kick on in the league.

I agree with you about it being a barometer,  im a bit 50/50 on whether i think itll go the right way though. Im afraid after their previous i find it hard to put too much trust in this team bouncing back. Its entirely up to them how they handle this, they have the ability but dont know if they have the character to be honest.

1 hour ago, pcbear said:

It is a set back and we are all gutted but ffs some of the posts are outrageous look at me's.

It's always been the same on here, I usually try to avoid the forum after any defeat as the meltdown is shocking.

Am I raging about the result? Of course, it doesn't make every player now shit though.

2 minutes ago, MurrayWilson said:

I agree with you about it being a barometer,  im a bit 50/50 on whether i think itll go the right way though. Im afraid after their previous i find it hard to put too much trust in this team bouncing back. Its entirely up to them how they handle this, they have the ability but dont know if they have the character to be honest.

I’ve got to believe, I’ve got Marvin Andrews syndrome.

I doubt we will do any real business in the next window so we are chips in for the rest of the season and need to hope these cunts can stay the course, barring that fuck up last night the signs have been promising this season.

I didn't mention it before now, but it's been concerning me how much we're relying on goals from defenders. Our attackers have been scoring occasionally yes, but they're form hasn't been great recently and this has slipped under the radar because Tav & Goldson etc have been scoring.

If this was in addition to our attackers scoring then great, but in some games it's been in place of. Defenders cannot be relied upon scoring every week.

Kent's form has been very inconsistent and poor sometimes, Roofe seems to be fighting on his own up front sometimes surrounded by players and Hagi when he has played has been mediocre at best.

The best outcome from yesterdays defeat is for them to understand they'll have to fight for every single point in this league, but truth be told I'm not very confident we will be able to stay strong during the critical moments in the league. The other bad thing is this would have motivated the taigs into thinking there's still a good chance of them winning the league.

Shite day yesterday to put it mildly 

13 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

Home to Hamilton in the league etc make more sense than away to st Mirren in the best chance yet to win silverware, I felt it’s the first time this season a teams mixed it and were physical against us and we came up short again 

See id disagree. League at home we go strongest possible bar perhaps Defoe. League away strongest regardless.

Tactically they were great. Man mark Tav, target Bassey, allow Balogum not Goldson the ball out and be robust whilst flooding bodies centrally. Worked a treat, we should have sorted it at half time with Borna for Bassey then tweaked midfield soon after.

The next 5 league games will have a very significant impact on where the title ends up. Last night was shite but our league position remains unaffected which is the only positive, it’s up to our players now to raise their game again as last night was the final warning of what can happen.

8 minutes ago, writingranger said:

I think this is the start of an inevitable dip, having played twice per week for so long. It's how the team gets through it that matters. Almost every player was poor yesterday and we had no threat down the middle, reverted to passy passy outside their box and tried to walk the ball into the net. No one linked play or took shots. Having run out of steam we need to tweak and bring freshness and pace back into the game. They marked Goldson so he couldn't maje those diagonal balls, tavernier so he couldn't make those crosses abd there was no barisic for most of the game. If they're doubling up, then that leaves space elsewhere,  but we were just slow. I felt like I was watching our post Xmas form all over again. 

We over rotated and Gerrard thought he was Claudio Ranieri.

Nothing in our form has suggested a collapse.

67F7FF1D-F9BE-4A20-867F-5EE288F73DE4.jpeg

I said last week I wasn’t worried about winning, I was worried about our reaction after a defeat, a league defeat, maybe not at our best or just couldn’t get it over the line. 

A defeat like that however really is something to come back from in the next game and totally derailed our season last year. The next 4 games are absolutely vital in our season, if we go off the rails again it’ll be the biggest monumental fuck up in our history. I just hope weve finally managed to cope with defeats and not let it affect us in the next game

Same thing has happened last few years.....

They get ahead of themselves.... they start to believe the hype - and there has been a lot of it recently. Invincible potential, cant see us losing a goal never mind losing . Gone to their heads again - just like seasons before. 

Silverwear is all that counts - hopefully its a back down to earth with a bang moment and a realisation the hard work starts now. Another long winning run is the only way to make this better. 

5 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

I said last week I wasn’t worried about winning, I was worried about our reaction after a defeat, a league defeat, maybe not at our best or just couldn’t get it over the line. 

A defeat like that however really is something to come back from in the next game and totally derailed our season last year. The next 4 games are absolutely vital in our season, if we go off the rails again it’ll be the biggest monumental fuck up in our history. I just hope weve finally managed to cope with defeats and not let it affect us in the next game

I said the exact same to my brother in law last week. I had no illusions that we were going to go unbeaten, but the reaction after the loss was my main concern because this team have let us down time and time again when the chips are down. They just don't seem to have the stomach for a fight or the mentality to cope with expectation. I hope I'm wrong and we go on another great run, but it's a tough 5 games coming up. The league is the priority, so I suppose I'd rather have lost to St Mirren last night than in a few weeks time in one way. Still a bitter, bitter pill to swallow.

49 minutes ago, Bigdave30 said:

The motherwell game should be a good barometer of whether the players are as mentally fragile as some on here believe.

I seriously think it could be a perfectly timed boot up the arse to kick on in the league.

Yep, and thank feck there won’t be a crowd at the game!

27 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

See id disagree. League at home we go strongest possible bar perhaps Defoe. League away strongest regardless.

Tactically they were great. Man mark Tav, target Bassey, allow Balogum not Goldson the ball out and be robust whilst flooding bodies centrally. Worked a treat, we should have sorted it at half time with Borna for Bassey then tweaked midfield soon after.

They squeezed the play very well and we were painfully slow at times back to front. When they pressed us we didn’t have an out ball because it wasn’t sticking to Roofe or Itten. Added to that was the reluctance of the midfield to get beyond the forwards. 

52 minutes ago, Bigdave30 said:

I hope you are right, I had more than a rant on some of the other threads last night but this morning I am thinking maybe it was just a bad night with the wrong tactics, let's hope we kick on and destroy Motherwell 

Archived