Back to Reality

.Williamson.

3 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

It was the same issue last year, teams caught on to nullify the full backs and as you said it should leave space elsewhere...

The issue is the players in those other positions arent pulling their weight and havent for a large part of this season, last night was the first time its caught us out 

👏👏👏👏👏👏

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, TMB said:

Bassey has done well every opportunity he’s had up until last night.  Barisic aside, it was a team filled with first-team regulars.  

exactly  we made 7 changes in leige last thursday and won comfortably  our biggest problem at the moment is lack of goals from our front players if you take the last few games most of our goals have come from defenders  roofe kent itten never looked like scoring last night  or sunday at dundee for that matter  i realise it was morelos and not itten on sun before someone jumps on that  but my point remains the same

Just now, billscott said:

exactly  we made 7 changes in leige last thursday and won comfortably  our biggest problem at the moment is lack of goals from our front players if you take the last few games most of our goals have come from defenders  roofe kent itten never looked like scoring last night  or sunday at dundee for that matter  i realise it was morelos and not itten on sun before someone jumps on that  but my point remains the same

sorry we were in poland last thursday

13 minutes ago, Getstiffed said:

Think we'll go on a run actually.

All we need to do is win the games between now and that Old Form on the 2nd of January.  We will then be in a position whereby if we beat celtic at I roc we’ll be about 19 points in front of celtic and the league is all but over.  Most of the hard work has already been done.  

7 minutes ago, Swally said:

What's concerning as well is they saw our main attacking threat was our fullbacks and they managed to stop it pretty easily for most of the match. 

If they were concentrating their defence in that way, then why didn't we have a plan B?

If players are directed to defend specific areas of a pitch to nullify a threat then surely it leaves other areas exposed, they only have 11 players at the end of the day.

We seemed pretty under-prepared for the opposition cutting off one of our main supplies and didn't seem to know what to do because of it.

We didn’t play our two attacking full backs last night and starting Zungu ahead of Davis fucked our play a lot too

14 minutes ago, King Jela said:

I'd say there was more chance of them picking up more points than us, gladly be proved wrong. 

In their rotten form they've still only lost one league game and drew one more than us. They'll have got a lift from last night, like they did after beating us last September, like they did when Hearts beat us away from home last season as well. 

Nonsense. Until last night we were literally unbeaten. What’s their record, two wins in ten or something equally as shite

15 minutes ago, King Jela said:

I'd say there was more chance of them picking up more points than us, gladly be proved wrong. 

In their rotten form they've still only lost one league game and drew one more than us. They'll have got a lift from last night, like they did after beating us last September, like they did when Hearts beat us away from home last season as well. 

At the same time, we’re giving them far too much credit. It’s all very well saying they’ve only lost one game etc but they’re conceding virtually every single game.

1 minute ago, .Williamson. said:

We didn’t play our two attacking full backs last night and starting Zungu ahead of Davis fucked our play a lot too

Aye, Zungu looked decent at the start, but seemed to fall right out of the game.

I know what you mean with us playing Bassey, but do you not see him as an attacking fullback? Although he's not the same quality as Barasic, I always thought when he played in Barasic's place he played the same role.

19 minutes ago, writingranger said:

Hopefully, we were just shite for one day and gerrard just over extended the rotation. My point though was about a dip in form and not a collapse, however I do feel the players did not adapt, snoozed their way through much of the game, became sloppy  and made a great many negative or poor decisions.

I’m going for a one night off rather than anything too serious, we will find out on Saturday 

1 minute ago, Swally said:

Aye, Zungu looked decent at the start, but seemed to fall right out of the game.

I know what you mean with us playing Bassey, but do you not see him as an attacking fullback? Although he's not the same quality as Barasic, I always thought when he played in Barasic's place he played the same role.

His standard of delivery isn’t what I would class as full back quality.

He is attacking but decent full backs have a good range of crossing nowadays and are essentially wingers. I don’t think he’s close to being that 

21 minutes ago, billscott said:

People have been praising the Rangers squad strength for months.  One guy goes out but is seamlessly replaced by another.  Now I’m seeing people suggest Rangers fielded a weakened side and it’s all Gerrard’s fault we’ve been knocked out.  That team last night was filled with first-team players: McGregor, Tavernier, Goldson, Balogun, Aribo, Kamara, Roofe, Kent, etc.  It should’ve been more than enough to win the game but of course football isn’t played on paper. 

1 minute ago, .Williamson. said:

His standard of delivery isn’t what I would class as full back quality.

He is attacking but decent full backs have a good range of crossing nowadays and are essentially wingers. I don’t think he’s close to being that 

Bassey’s delivery probably is at a level which could be considered ‘standard’ for a full-back.  Tavernier and Barisic are incredible at putting the ball in the box and are well above ‘standard’ and Bassey won’t get near that.

Iv since calmed down a bit.

Barasic took 7mins to get fycking ready, Davis took 30 seconds

Could be a bleasing in disguise, its been coming, at least its not points dropped.

FACTS

We need Kamara, Davies and Jack in the middle, Arfield off them.

Direct 2 up top doesn't work 

31 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

It was the same issue last year, teams caught on to nullify the full backs and as you said it should leave space elsewhere...

The issue is the players in those other positions arent pulling their weight and havent for a large part of this season, last night was the first time its caught us out 

Our setup has a bit to do with that though, i mentioned him earlier but I'll do it again, arfield has been our most dangerous midfielder this season, yet WE nullified him last night by playing him as a right sided sitting midfielder whos job is to cover tav pretty much all game

Absolutely brutal that we feel the need to have 3 sitting mids against any scottish team

I'm still fucking fuming but I guess we were destined to lose eventually. Just a fucking riot that it happened in a cup game to the hands of a jobber club like St Mirren. Worrying signs that, yet again, we have blown our chance for a bit of silverware. Need to come out swinging after this otherwise I can see us dropping some points in the league in quick succession. 

34 minutes ago, King Jela said:

In their rotten form they've still only lost one league game and drew one more than us.

That can’t be right.  Rangers are 13 points clear of celtic.  They have 2 games in hand.  Even if they win those 2 games they’ll still be 7 points behind.    A win and draw more would only put us 5 points ahead, and we’re further in front than that.

28 minutes ago, Swally said:

hope you're right mate

Teams fighting for titles face similar challenges every year. Last year we scraped by some early on in the season and then failed near enough all of them in the second half.

This season so far we haven't just met challenges, we've ripped the throat out of them. This is just another challenge for us to overcome with the style and composure we've shown for 30 odd games so far.

Archived