Allan McGregor - Hearts On Fire

10 minutes ago, tm91 said:

My instinct is that Goram was arguably the best keeper in Britain and maybe even Europe at one time, while I don't think you could say the same about McGregor,

Interesting, let us explore that a little bit. At what "one time" was he the best keeper in Britain, and do you mean the best British keeper? If you mean the latter, can you say what season?

Note: I was a season ticket holder during 9-iar, I love the Goalie, met him a few times too, and I can say with 99.999% certainty that he was the best keeper in Europe at no time at all.

6 minutes ago, tm91 said:

Best keeper in Britain and best British keeper, yes, at times in the 90s - 92/93 comes straight to mind, probably other times too. At this peak I'd have put him above Seaman and Schmeichel for example, although at least Schmeichel was better over their respective careers.

Well. Okay we have a viable discussion here. I mean from 1994 onwards I would have said I'd have taken Schmeichel in a heartbeat. The early 90's though is where my football knowledge runs a bit dry, the only team I watched or knew anything about prior to the mid-90's was The Rangers - so my knowledge of other keepers in the early 90's is limited.

Who are the contenders for best keeper in Britain from 1991-1994?

3 minutes ago, Inigo said:

For me Goram was the best British goalie, but the second best goalie in Britain (after Schmeichel) for a good few seasons.

Goram was clearly better than Seaman for me. Fewer mistakes and a better shot stopper.

This is where my feeling is at too. Schmeichel in my opinion is still the best keeper of all time (so far). Seaman can get tae fuck.

5 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Goram was clearly better than Seaman for me. Fewer mistakes and a better shot stopper.

England haven't had a top level goalkeeper since Shilton and Woods.

Seaman, Robinson and Hart all had their moments but equally their shares of complete disasters. Pickford is currently in the same vein.

Then there are all the fillers in between; Flowers, Walker, Martyn, James, Foster, Carson, Green etc etc.

7 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

England haven't had a top level goalkeeper since Shilton and Woods.

Seaman, Robinson and Hart all had their moments but equally their shares of complete disasters. Pickford is currently in the same vein.

Then there are all the fillers in between; Flowers, Walker, Martyn, James, Foster, Carson, Green etc etc.

It's been England's weakest position almost three decades now, unless you count manager. Though you can't anymore because I think Southgate is actually a good national manager. I think he'd be pish at a club, but he has been involved with England now for ages, and has had strong and lasting influence on the youth setup and teams prior to being the full England manager. Any success England get in the near future are almost entirely down to that one man.

14 hours ago, Inigo said:

You're in the moment.

Goram played at a time when we played better players in our league, and when we played in the CL. Goram also played in top class international tourneys when Shagger hasn't. Half the time Shagger has barely any shots against him these days.

Goram was a marginally better shot stopper and clearly better with cross balls and distribution.

Bwe can both can play these games. Having seen them, Goram was a better goalie. 

We were largely an embarrassment in the Champions League when Goram played. He would’ve played in group stages three times, with 92-93 being the only success, the other two years were horror shows. 
Unless I’m mistaken McGregor has played two champions League seasons which will hopefully become three next season and of course Werder Bremen, etc in 2008. 

There's no right or wrong answer to it, they are both outstanding goalkeepers and we are lucky to have had them play for us. 

We all have a preference but let's not argue over who's better, just enjoy the fact they have both gave us great memories. 

Some great saves there. As to who is the best keeper, I am an auld cunt and I can go back to Ritchie.

Why not just accept Rangers have had some of the best keepers in the UK and at times World class stoppers.

But for me Goram, Klos, McCloy or McGregor they have all been brilliant at different times with different defenders in front of them.

Seen them all back into the mid 60’s. McGregor is the best I’ve seen. Playing against bigger, stronger, faster players especially when it comes to Europe. The teams we’ve beaten lately are a lot better than the teams in the early 90’s. It’s a generational thing. Goram and Klos were great keepers as well. Shagger is #1. 

22 hours ago, Big V said:

Interesting, let us explore that a little bit. At what "one time" was he the best keeper in Britain, and do you mean the best British keeper? If you mean the latter, can you say what season?

Note: I was a season ticket holder during 9-iar, I love the Goalie, met him a few times too, and I can say with 99.999% certainty that he was the best keeper in Europe at no time at all.

I know this isn't exactly what you mean - just because a player wasn't in the highest level of competition doesn't mean he wasn't the best in Europe - but I think you can make a case for Goram ahead of Schmeichel in 92/93 for the simple reason that Man Utd were pumped out of the UEFA Cup in round 1 that year, whereas Goram was brilliant in an undefeated Champions League campaign.

I certainly don't think there was a better keeper than Goram in the Champions League that season, at least among the top teams.

8 hours ago, 35 Yard Dangerman said:

If the hair on the back of your neck doesn't stand up when that song is played during Rocky then you are either dead or a fanny.

Never seen the Rocky film in question (or haven't seen for decades). Assuming your reaction to the terrible song is based on movie nostalgia?

10 hours ago, JamieD said:

whereas Goram was brilliant in an undefeated Champions League campaign.

In the history of our club we have never had an undefeated Champions League campaign, as we have never won it, your point does not stand.