Lack of youth prospects making the first team

I’ll go into this and say that I know very little about our youth setup so while this might seem like a negative question after we’ve just beaten our biggest rivals it’s not supposed to be. 

Why do you think we have been struggling to bring through youth players in the last 10-15 years? Is it a case that we’re identifying the wrong ones at a young age? Is it coaching? Is it the first team setup not giving opportunities?

I know that things would be very different if Gilmour had stayed. We’d then look at it and say Patterson and Gilmour are two of the best youngsters in the country. Hopefully McCrorie is the long-term keeper too. Just feels as if we always have a list of players who we think could be long-term contributors and they rarely seem to make it. 

Having one or two being ready and able to play with the first team in a season is a great result TBH.  Look at other clubs our size and you'll see similar, TAA at Liverpool, Reece James, Mount at Chelsea.  We're doing fine.  

Also, unfortunately our very top young prospects are snapped up straight away - Gilmour etc.  Look at the couple we lost in Summer

2 minutes ago, gazza87 said:

Having one or two being ready and able to play with the first team in a season is a great result TBH.  Look at other clubs our size and you'll see similar, TAA at Liverpool, Reece James, Mount at Chelsea.  We're doing fine.  

Also, unfortunately our very top young prospects are snapped up straight away - Gilmour etc.  Look at the couple we lost in Summer

Yeah. Maybe I’m expecting too much. You can count on one hand the number who have come through but suppose we haven’t had that stability either. New managers don’t come in and instantly turn to youth when the pressure is on

3 minutes ago, sergi1980 said:

The lad Lowry is very lively looks decent and Alegria quick strong also looks decent 

Haven’t saw Lowry for a couple of years now .

He looks the very opposite of a footballer but absolutely glides and passes like he’s using no effort whatsoever.

Really hope he matures well .

16 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

The pressure here makes it very hard for both teams to do it. We need to win yesterday here tbh

A boy needs to be extra special to get into the first team for us .

Problem is when they are that good they get swiped early ,Billy Gilmour style .

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

I get it’s a good thing, but given me a £3m Helander over a guy coming through the youths like Walsh at the filth every day of the week, unless they’re something special like Patterson.

It shows in results and trophies. 

Who is Walsh????

Over the last few seasons our youths have shown great promise going back to the challenge cup run they had, which was instrumental in Patterson getting a chance in the first team imo. 

Playing in the lowland league can make the step up easier as usually it's not the technical ability they lack but the physical side of the game, I think we will have some making a brake through very soon.

Some people talking about King as part of the first team squad, for me it's a straight fight between him and Simpson four that fourth choice CB Jersey.

For me Katic should go out on loan when hes fit enough and get game time to bring him up to full match fitness.

Then gaffer has a decision to make who goes and who stays next summer, three CBs one jersey dont fit. 

26 minutes ago, aird said:

He's the guy who's still running about trying to find Helander. 

Lol ah I know now. The useless lump is actually called Welsh but get what you are saying I would rather have no one coming through than playing players like  him  I think we have  some quality in our youth system but it’s only the cream who make the first team  like Paterson  McCrorie and King will be next I think 

12 minutes ago, southcoastbear said:

Some people talking about King as part of the first team squad, for me it's a straight fight between him and Simpson four that fourth choice CB Jersey.

For me Katic should go out on loan when hes fit enough and get game time to bring him up to full match fitness.

Then gaffer has a decision to make who goes and who stays next summer, three CBs one jersey dont fit. 

King still has some bit to go.

I wouldn't have an issue with him coming in for a January Scottish Cup game against Albion Rovers, or at the end of the season if the title has been wrapped up, but I don't think he's quite ready to get thrown in at CB in league games - even if there has been injuries.

He's going to be better than Simpson yes, but Simpson is fodder that we can afford to throw in. King is still very young and very raw and the club have to protect him a little bit. 

5 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I wouldn't have an issue with him coming in for a January Scottish Cup game against Albion Rovers, or at the end of the season if the title has been wrapped up, but I don't think he's quite ready to get thrown in at CB in league games - even if there has been injuries.

He's going to be better than Simpson yes, but Simpson is fodder that we can afford to throw in. King is still very young and very raw and the club have to protect him a little bit. 

Cheers bud , really no seen enough of King to say much about the lad's potential.

That assumes of course you know what your talking about.:mutley:

2 minutes ago, southcoastbear said:

Cheers bud , really no seen enough of King to say much about the lad's potential.

That assumes of course you know what your talking about.:mutley:

He’s an exciting prospect but I posted on here prior to the Alashkert game when people were discussing those who could fill in for the Covid hit players that there are a few things in his game that he needs to shake off that he wouldn’t get away with at senior level.

41 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I saw him in Silverburn a couple of months back and honestly, he looked like a wee boy. He has a long, long, long way to go physically to be able to cut it with the hammer throwers in Scotland.

We developed an exceptional player in Gilmour but couldn't stop him leaving. His chances of playing were limited by age.

We've now had Patterson, McCrorie and Kelly join the 1st team squad and play. They have every chance of becoming regulars.

In the wings King and Lindsay are developing well and are said to have the world at their feet. Again we need to continue to develop them for our benefit.

Winning the league was the most important thing. Now, with our player trading model about to kick in I fully expect to see more of the youths becoming key rather than peripheral in the next few years.