Steven Gerrard To Aston Villa - Official

The Dude

3 minutes ago, 16BlueSherbert90 said:

Okay, just checking👍🏻 

Doing a Brendan then.

Quite poor given his speech about concentrating on this season etc. Probably going to affect the players further 😒

Aston Villa of all clubs...I get that he would want to be in the EPL, but I would have hoped he would at least see the season through. Me and my optimism 😬

Pretty much as close as you'll get to the clubs presser saying it.

5 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

To be honest, im probably the only one with doubts about GVB, and I have literally no idea why! He plays a 4-3-3, perfect for our current crop of players, has the background to rival Gerrard in terms of experience for the players, has actually won more in a more competitive league than Gerrard.

I think the only thing I can say is that after initial success, he has kinda went backwards. Done amazing in Holland, then his team fell back to the kinda standard they were at before he joined. Then he went to the footballing backwater that is China, obviously for the money, but makes me slightly doubt his drive.

With Gerrard, you had a guy absolutely determined to reach his goal of managing his boyhood club and make it to the very top of the game. with GVB, im unconvinced that drive is there for him to fuck off to China.

I also really have my doubts that we would be able to agree terms with him, not on salary, but on what he would want in terms of players. If he was to accept a tiny budget, then it makes me question his ambition. If he doesnt, I dont see us getting him.

A left field up an coming manager from a smaller club, with less profile as a player could however have that ambition to get to the very top and could see the challenge with us as being a massive way to prove his credentials, even without a big budget.

Probably an absolute pile of shite, and since i had massive doubts about Gerrard at the time, my judgement is questionable!

Between Feyenoord and China he was offered a huge job with the City group. He admits he made a mistake with China.

Teams like Feyenoord don't stay successful from lengthy periods of time.

I think he would get the most out the players we already have, give us the biggest chance of winning the league, then go on to spend on players he likes and build a proper dynasty.

3 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Between Feyenoord and China he was offered a huge job with the City group. He admits he made a mistake with China.

Teams like Feyenoord don't stay successful from lengthy periods of time.

I think he would get the most out the players we already have, give us the biggest chance of winning the league, then go on to spend on players he likes and build a proper dynasty.

You are probably right, just got a wee alarm at the back of my head saying he isnt the right one.

But he fits almost every single criteria that we should be looking for.

Just buyers doubt I think if im honest!

2 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I actually think he is a very low risk appointment.

It would be an absolute fucking riddy though getting the sacked Aberdeen manager who knocked us back before.

Wanker of a man whilst with Aberdeen. I would have serious difficulty seeing him as our Manager, but knowing the way this board can be 😬

1 minute ago, The Godfather said:

Every manager we could potentially get will have doubt over them. Gerrard had massive ones, more than most. 

True  

13 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I also really have my doubts that we would be able to agree terms with him, not on salary, but on what he would want in terms of players. If he was to accept a tiny budget, then it makes me question his ambition. If he doesnt, I dont see us getting him.

Don’t disagree with most of what you say, but surely this criteria must be applied to any manager we appoint?

I don’t think anyone should be judging GVB on his time in China/choice to go there. A shithole football environment yes but eye watering money for the sake of a relatively short time there. I don’t hold that against anyone (within reason) if it’s a temporary thing.

(Fuck the CCP by the way)

1 minute ago, 16BlueSherbert90 said:

Wanker of a man whilst with Aberdeen. I would have serious difficulty seeing him as our Manager, but knowing the way this board can be 😬

True  

To be fair, I think his players all fucking loved him.

I actually think he did a pretty good job with Aberdeen in all honesty. When we were down the divisions, he was consistently 2nd in the league I think, which realistically is the most they could ever hope for. He did well in the cups as well.

He had a honking season and they sacked him and have replaced him with this fucking Glass muppet who is rotten.

If it wasnt for that whole period where he basically knocked us back, I think many more folk would have been pretty positive about him coming in to least to take the reigns whilst we sorted something out long term. 

1 minute ago, teddybear1975 said:

Xabi Alonso as a left field option. Much like Gerrard coaching Sociedad B team. Had a few decent offers so prob outwith our reach unfortunately.

His team are 20th in La Liga 2, not for me

3 minutes ago, Ladytonbear said:

Don’t disagree with most of what you say, but surely this criteria must be applied to any manager we appoint?

Not really. I think GVB has a big enough profile to go and get a job in Italy, Spain, Germany or even possibly a high level championship club that can give him some budget. I think testing himself in a competitive league where he could stamp his authority on a team would be more of a different test for him.

Coming to us is a similar, almost easier challenge than what he had in Holland. In charge of one of the big 3, although the lesser of them.

It would be the Advocaat signing, but without the Advocaat budget.

For someone like Russel Martin (but not actually him), it would be an absolutely enormous challenge, a way to stamp their style onto a team in a budget and let his coaching shine more than who he signs. It is something very different to what they are used to by being in charge of a team with vastly inferior resources to what is around them.

I would see this as more of the McLeish signing.

We need a McLeish signing right now, we dont have the budget for an Advocaat.

I think it’ll be someone who isn’t in employment so would not require compensation- we can’t afford compensation and any money we get for Gerrard will be banked.

I think it’ll be Beale or Gio.

Beale for continuity and Gio for ex-player factor who is young enough to bond with the team and still command respect.

However, no way is Gerrard going anywhere without Beale.

QED:

It’ll be Lampard 😜