Player recruitment us v them

hammer93

32 minutes ago, AGM_72 said:

Our problem has been our inability to refresh the squad. One or two of our players should have been sold in the summer - but were the bids there? 

People underestimate what achieving 55 took out of some of these guys mentally, and how many of them climbed their Everest and have coasted since. 

Mentally and physically too, mate, I’d say.

There’s a lot more gone into that great unbeaten league season than meets the eye and is evidenced by the number (and length) of injury absences we’re seeing this term.

Rather disappointing that, after such a great achievement, which we weren’t able to celebrate properly at the time, there are signs that things are beginning to fray & last years heroes are this years dross.

Their recruitment has clearly been successful. However, I think the biggest issue is their style of football. They basically just go at you full throttle from the first minute until they tire. Doesn't matter who it's against. It's relentless. And if they score early, it does become difficult. If you hold out or score first, it could be easy. Our defending again was terrible though. 

On a slightly related point, in terms of being a bit more direct, as much as I rate Aribo and Kamara, I just wish they were more dynamic and aggressive, willing to just do more, drive more, take more chances, take more shots (moreso Aribo in that respect). It's all too slow, easy and nice at times. I mention those two purely because they are technically really good and it's frustrating as I want more from them, and I know they are capable of more. They should be dominating games like this. However, like many others the game just passed them by. No specific blame on them though. Collectively we were miles off it.

1 hour ago, philiprfc said:

Said it earlier - every player they've signed this season, apart from McCarthy, is doing the business for them.

1.5m from League One, and they've signed a boy who looks like one of their best players. That sort of money from that league got us Edmundson.

The funny thing is one of our posters on here posted about him a while ago in the transfer section and literally said he wouldn’t cost much. They then signed him and he looks excellent tbh. 

1 hour ago, Rowley Birkin said:

aye lets go buy a bunch of japs because one or two are looking good just now for them:sarcasm:

our recruitment system is good its just that for some reason during the summer gerrard didnt really buy and stuck with the same squad hes had for two years or so what he should have done was get rid of the dead wood and the older players but he didnt, gio should have been ruthless from the first day of the window by doing the same 

and thats their fault no one else's genuinely how has our recruitment been good? Who have we got with any worth?? Gerrard signed about 50 players and I don’t know one who’d bring in genuine money. I’m not blowing smoke up there arse here but come on man, we’re looking poor

1 hour ago, STEPPS BOY said:

They’ve wanted it more in every way this season.

Their board had a plan, their manager has them in a system/style that everyone knows and their transfer window was tied up so players had minutes under their belt before tonight.

We’ve fell asleep at wheel and only woke up when we dropped 4 points and brought in two guys who’ve not played since November.

Right. Tonight was a shambles. But Celtic’s board don’t have a plan.

1 hour ago, hammer93 said:

Too many in here dismissed their recruitment policy, laughed at the amount of Japanese players they signed, people were making comments about us signing Ramsey compared to some league 1 player from Mk Dons etc etc

Anytime we are linked with a league 1 signing it is labelled a "Warburton signing "

Juranovic looks so much more assured defensively than any off our full backs

Most of their summer signings have made telling contributions to their season to date, even that cunt Abada who I have been saying is shite scored his 13th of the season, Hatatae has 3 goals and 1 assist in 4 games.....our recruitment this summer and to date in the January window doesn't look like yielding anywhere near the sort of numbers required to make us more frightening from all over the park, we looked absolutely terrified in that opening 30mins

Our love affair with certain players is coming to a dramatic conclusion, let's hope Ramsey is the one addition that does make a major difference as the reality is they were far superior to us in that first half

It's us who will be looking to rebuild again in the summer so I suggest we start scouring a wider network from here on in as that team tonight look beat.....yes Morelos would make a difference....would he have been that big a difference no chance.:raging:

Fuck off mate. They have £15m worth of signings on the bench that they are desperate to get rid of. Two of the Japanese players look good but that isn’t the difference. The boy that scored tonight is 25 and has never been capped by Japan. He took his goals well but not a world beater.. The big thing they have is a manager with a clear philosophy and goes out to win the game early. Put everything into the first 50 minutes. Our players strolled about tonight while they were sprinting. 

1 hour ago, G.E.C. said:

When Ange got appointed I remember reading a few posts in the celtic thread saying they’d be lucky to finish 2nd/3rd etc which was ridiculous.

I think there has been massive complacency since before we even technically won the league. Having a big sesh before a crucial game against Slavia. 

Glad someone said it before me. That was an absolute fucking disgrace. 

We’ve been an absolute snooze far longer than that as well - probably since the New Year derby in January 21. 

13 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

The funny thing is one of our posters on here posted about him a while ago in the transfer section and literally said he wouldn’t cost much. They then signed him and he looks excellent tbh. 

Aye it was me. Hoped he would turn out shite...clearly not:headwall:

1 hour ago, G.E.C. said:

When Ange got appointed I remember reading a few posts in the Celtic thread saying they’d be lucky to finish 2nd/3rd etc which was ridiculous.

I think there has been massive complacency since before we even technically won the league. Having a big sesh before a crucial game against Slavia. 

Agree with the majority of this post tbh.

I'm not sure I agree on the relevance, but the session before the Slavia away game has never really sat well with me. (As enjoyable as it was as a fan)

32 minutes ago, westenclosure2008 said:

Fuck off mate. They have £15m worth of signings on the bench that they are desperate to get rid of. Two of the Japanese players look good but that isn’t the difference. The boy that scored tonight is 25 and has never been capped by Japan. He took his goals well but not a world beater.. The big thing they have is a manager with a clear philosophy and goes out to win the game early. Put everything into the first 50 minutes. Our players strolled about tonight while they were sprinting. 

I couldn't give two fucks what shite they have from a previous scouting system, it's the here and now I'm interested in and the majority of their new regimes signings are working.....trying to make excuses about ages and caps for Japan don't wash when we were comprehensively outplayed in the opening 45mins

12 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

I couldn't give two fucks what shite they have from a previous scouting system, it's the here and now I'm interested in and the majority of their new regimes signings are working.....trying to make excuses about ages and caps for Japan don't wash when we were comprehensively outplayed in the opening 45mins

its the same fucking system they are using

1 hour ago, AGM_72 said:

Our problem has been our inability to refresh the squad. One or two of our players should have been sold in the summer - but were the bids there? 

People underestimate what achieving 55 took out of some of these guys mentally, and how many of them climbed their Everest and have coasted since. 

Most of them have coasted because they all expected 55 would get them their big moves last Summer.

Barasic, Kent & Kamara are three players who I don’t think want to be here anymore. Goldson knows he’s seeing out his contract and bling back South, Morelos says he’s happy but his agent has been touting him for a move for three years. Aribo is showing form now, but he knows his long term future is in the Premier League.

Patterson aside, we’ve missed the opportunity to get maximum value for every single “big” sellable asset we have.

1 minute ago, Rowley Birkin said:

its the same fucking system they are using

They bagged Hammond and brought in some other cunt to head up the recruitment department  and are clearly using their managers knowledge of the Japanese market....if you believe that is the same recruiting system used by yellow teeth last season then you wire in:tu:

6 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

They bagged Hammond and brought in some other cunt to head up the recruitment department  and are clearly using their managers knowledge of the Japanese market....if you believe that is the same recruiting system used by yellow teeth last season then you wire in:tu:

theyre all under the man city group ffs they dont have a proper scouting system its just getting loans and cheap buys from other clubs under the same umbrella fuck thats how they got their manager

but aye you wire in 

30 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

They don’t have a better system though. They have a manager that knows a market, he goes then what? My point is I don’t think this lad is a world beater. He had a great game tonight but we our players gave him all the time and space in the world. Remember Jamie Ness played a blinder against them? He didn’t do it because he was the greatest player on the park he was allowed to as nobody thought he was worth picking up. 

36 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Same fucking players looked utter shite against Dundee Utd at home. Lack of desire and effort beat us today.